1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Large mushroom!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Varloo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    there was this large mushroom which grew by itself on the root of the coconut tree. It grew when it was raining continuosly for some days some time back. I took some snaps of it. It was the size of a plate, I have not seen such a one so far.

Attached Files:

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varloo,

That is one amazing mushroom! O wow.....Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of mushrooms. When in Germany, I have gone mushroom picking in the woods along with my friends. They could tell which ones were edible and rare and which ones were poisonous.
    This one is really big. You should enquire at the local horticulturists and find out about its details.
    Interesting indeed......unless......such mushrooms are common in Chennai. I wouldn't know about that.

L, Kamla

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Varloo
    Wow that is really hugh one looks like a hat.
    As Kamal says some mushrooms are poisonous that is true. Please try to find out about this mushrooms.
    Thanks for sharing this picture, it looks really beautiful.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi varloo,

thanks for sharing this picture...spectacular umbrella from nature..but i also share the same opinion as kamla.

I have seen this size mushroom near the pykara lake woods in ooty once but that was a brownish shade..but this looks awesome pristine white...

my son is bowled over by that and is now blabbering about some goblins living in it.(some story he read i suppose)

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Varloo,
    That is really a large one!! I have seen one like this at my parents place last year after rains.It was also under a coconut tree.I'm not sure if its edible or not..we dunt eat mushrooms...so no bother....

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Yes, I too am not familiar with mushrooms, I buy button mushrooms when I need. This may be poisonous also. But it looked really beautiful. But it broke and fell down 2 days back.
    I thought it looked like an aappam, white and with a curve.
    It is a respite what with small frogs, rats and other pets in our area. Actually I have seen snakes also so many times around my home, all separate houses and our back house has been locked for years now. The weed growth is so much that I think there may be more animals and my son jokes that there may be a dinosur also there.
    But the area is cooler than city and I just love that about this place.

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Awesome photo
    Looks like a paper plate turned over
    You should contact the horticulture services I am sure this is unusual
    Thanks so much for sharing
    psst..I too think Goblins are living under...!