1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Language Khichadi

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

A student as a punishment for some misdeed in the class was asked to stand outside. Principal in the lobby approached the class seeing the pupil standing out. Asked the class teacher why the outstanding student was standing out?!

satchitananda likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Oh yes, you just gave me fodder for another post on this topic. We speak Kerala Tamil at home, my cousins used to speak pure Trichnapalli Tamil and the confusion was hilarious, just as the time I was talking during early days to the BH whose family speaks Tanjaore Tamil, while he speaks his own variety of the language!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Just think of m with three and half foreign languages. I started with German. I had such a fixation with it that German slipped out even when asking for tickets from bus conductors. Then I went on to Italian (No offense to other foreign languages but this remains my favorite. I feel extremely comfortable speaking this). But despite my fluency in Italian, when I appeared for an interview for an Italian government scholarship, I opened my mouth, and out came French. So one of the ItalianS alerted me "Lei parla Francese non Italiano . "Je Suis desole' I replied still reeling under the French hangover. But despite all that I managed to get the scholarship. I suspect that was because one of the interviewers was a close friend of mine. Now I have learned basic Spanish through an online course that offered free audiovisual lessons on a trial basis and by the time they wanted me to pay for continuing it I had learned enough including pronunciation and now am continuing my Spanish with a teach-yourself book. No, so far Spanish has not put me in embarrassing situations the way French and German did.

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  4. satchitananda

Wow! 4 languages! Where did you learn Italian. Maybe I could consider that for a next, though I suspect I am going to steer clear of Spanish given the similarities between French and Spanish.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I learnt Italian from Italian Cultural Centre Delhi. Don't know whether they have a branch in Bangalore You can check. In my view Italian is the easiest European language to learn, That is the only subject in which I ever scored cent per cent marks.

6. satchitananda

No, unfortunately we don't have one. That is one advantage of being in Delhi.

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2:One for each of foreign language . English not treated as foreign to you or I or @satchitananda .

satchitananda likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Tyagu sir, Satchi or you or me, we are writing in English here. It is such an integral part of our consciousness that it flows naturally. Frankly, I have never seen two Tamils (educated ones that is) conversing in Tamil when they meet. It is always English As this language is not alien to us it is not a foreign language. As in Australia, New Zealand or the US of A we are developing our own variants of the language.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021