1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ladies working in the IT industry...hubby career in jeopardy!!! PLSSS answer!!!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Feb 19, 2016.

1. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Re: ladies working in the IT industry...hubby career in jeopardy!!! PLSSS answer!!!!

OP, Getting fired is not i mean not a big deal here in US. It happens all the time, colleagues
    with being pally with bosses and bosses playing favourites.Sparing people whom they like and
    burdening other employees.

Even otherwise with your hubby , he shud be looking for another job.He will go crazy working under such a boss
    Its not good for him or his career working under an indifferent and punishing boss.I have been under
    this situation and i can understand. Its not the end of the world. Start looking for jobs
    immediately. Try for contracts and full time both. Which ever comes first, take it. If your hubby
    gets contract , try fulltime on the side.

Your hubby shud hold his head high and say he got a job and will leave on March 15th . Dont give reference of such
    a boss for future jobs. Does your hubby have friends who are colleagues. Who can give good reference. Use them.
    Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  2. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Re: ladies working in the IT industry...hubby career in jeopardy!!! PLSSS answer!!!!

Firings are common in IT and everybody knows it. Not to loose hope. Ask your husband to apply for all the jobs in US irrespective of location preference. I know people have been fired and got job immediately, some got job after 6mons -1year. There is no time frame. Hope for the best. Nothing to feel bad about what has happened.

1 person likes this.
  3. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

Hi Anika,
    No need to stress. its pretty common thing here. if he gets the layoff he can file for unemployment . he might even gets package before they let him go. 40 is not old. he just has to try for jobs. with his experience he will definitely get a good job. my husband went through the same thing. he tried for two months and got another job.

1 person likes this.
  4. chocolate

OP, Unless your hubby is a US citizen, do not file for unemployment. It will come back to haunt you in case you are on visa or green card. Try looking for jobs in TX. Job market there is much better and opportunities are there. Good Luck.

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

From my experience in US ,age does not matter much. I have seen very old people at development level and testers. Growth chain is not same as in US or small US companies. I have 1 developer colleague who is grandmother.
    So 40 is not too late for job search.
    now that we know his manager does not like him, he may not like him again even if he stays in this job. So I think it is best to get out of that job.

IT industry is really volatile and no guarantees. work changes, project changes, manager changes, process changes and they want workers to be up at performance best always :-

I would suggest start looking for another job immediately and attend as many interviews as he could. If he is removed from current job, he will have 1 offer atleast. If not, he will get more time to select and make wise decisions. With 14 yrs in IT, he must be aware of that. I am just writing for u.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don't know about being on a visa, but I filed for a few months of unemployment while on a green card. It did not cause any issues when I applied for US citizenship.

1 person likes this.
  7. chocolate

When we hired a lawyer for our green card process , the lawyer mentioned not to file for unemployment when on gc/ead/visa. It seems sometimes it looks like we are liable to become debt in future and that will sometimes hinder citizenship process. When my husband was laid off after gc his boss suggested to try filing for unemployment for sometime . Then we consulted an immigration lawyer and she too suggested not to. Of course that didn't happen becoz my hubby immediately got a job.

Consult an immigration lawyer just to be cautious. Good Luck.Try Indeed for job search.

1 person likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

My friend applied for unemployment on GC and got her citizenship without any issues. But she is a scientist and her credentials speaks for her- how valuable her research was and will be in future. So, it could be trade specific.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Same situation for me Nuss. Actually I was in the same lab and there was a three month gap between grants. The university converted my status to volunteer and told me to file to bridge the gap. So listen to your lawyers, folks!