Ladies please help me understand significance of some ritual

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by whisperingarlic, Feb 10, 2015.

1. whisperingarlic

whisperingarlic New IL'ite

Hello lovely ladies,

How are ya all? I am a new member, just joined this site.

I am looking for some information regarding the rituals performed in a Muslim Sindhi wedding. You know sometimes you have been doing things for like a century and you don't even know the reason, the significance behind it. Bas karte jate hain :)

I'm a Sindhi and as all of us know that Sindhi Muslims were originally Hindus converted to Muslims so there are a lot of rituals and traditions that are still followed by the Muslim community.

We have this ritual in a wedding in which the bride and groom sit on the floor, facing each other. They are surrounded by their elders who hold bride and groom's head. And then their heads are collided seven times. It is called 'Laaoo'n' in Sindhi, part of every Muslim Sindhi's wedding rituals. No other Muslim community has this or similar ritual in their wedding. I'm sure this comes from their old religion, and they somewhat modified it.

I have been asking a few people about the significance of this ritual lately but trust me no one has any idea. So I googlesmileyit and found nothing but I read on some forum that this ritual is a part of traditional South Indian wedding too. I googled that too but to no avail.

So, if anyone has any idea about this ritual or know about that South Indian wedding ritual please let me know. Or if there is some similar ritual. I would be really thankful.

P.S. I preach humanity and respect all religions. :)

2. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi @whisperingarlic interesting rituals, im just sorry to say that i have no clue why it is performed. Although my husband is a muslim this ritual wasnt performed and i never came across, so i just wanted to say that i guess you are right that its originating in the former religion. Wish you good luck to track down the origin. Its great to see that you try to understand rituals, their origin, and meaning cultures are so rich and we often lack of knowledge. Its always better to know why we do something then just blindly following it.