Ladies in Parramatta- your opinion about the suburb

Discussion in 'Indians in Sydney' started by iamdina, Aug 23, 2012.

1. iamdina

iamdina New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We are moving to sydney next month. We are planning to rent in Parramatta. But on the internet there are mixed reviews about the suburb . Some ppl report it is not safe, there are thugs and junkies on the streets etc.We dont know anyone in the area to get a proper idea. So how do you ladies feel . Do you walk around the area alone? . Can you suggest some good streets to rent a flat .

2. newsweetwaves

newsweetwaves New IL'ite

Sydney has changed a lot over years. Parramatta is not all that bad. There is good and bad in every suburb. You will have to be street smart wherever you are in the world. If you walk around anywhere at an oddly hour of course you are going to ask for trouble and being subtle would not hurt either. I notice Our Indians think its good to show off in trains and they talk out their black berry and ipad and iphone and also ipod and spread out and speak loudly. This usually attracts attention. So to answer your question Parra is fine. Good Luck!!

3. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Like any surburb there are thugs in Parramatta, but because it is so busy and there is always people around it should be okay.

4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Iamdina,
    Sydney is quite a big city, you will have to choose your residence depending on your work and budget. Choose a place so that your total journey time either by car or by train is not more than one hour from door to door. Parramatta is not that bad. It is mid-west from CBD. Many Indians are there. There is also near by Lord Murugan temple.Generally it is an impression that Sydney west is having a higher crime rate in mugging and house break than the other areas. But Sydney is a safer city than Melbourne.

But still some of the Northern Sydney suburbs like Chatswood, Gordon, and Hornsby are different in life style and less reported incidents. Anyway, one has to avoid train journey after 8.30 pm as far as possible.

5. iamdina

iamdina New IL'ite

Thanks Ladies . :) I will keep all that in mind . your replies indeed put me at ease .

Hey packiyalakshmi , could you post your message here.Unfortunately I dont have access to private messages :-(