1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ladies, how do u deal wid such thing

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rathi321, Sep 23, 2014.

1. rathi321

rathi321 New IL'ite

hey der,can u all pls help me resolving this issue,.... we are 3 cousins,going for one bday party,on the way , suddenly my much elder cousin raises a topic on me ...we start an argument ... she passes quiet rude remarks on me....my other cousin is quiet throughout the whole scenerio...
    i was upset, stopped talking wid both ,here comes the twist after 45 days of silence my other cousin who was quiet tells me that my elder cousin was joking that day & i completely mistook her silence.. how the hell on earth that argument became a joke...very confused pls help me understand

2. urenigma

urenigma Senior IL'ite

u can tel them u not talking is also a Joke - just like hers :)

3. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Tell them you dont take bad jokes.

1 person likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If they were joking...it was at your expense.Your cousin thinks you are dumb enough to fall for this......which is even worse than the incidence.

3 people like this.
  5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Well it depends on how comfortable you are with each other. You can take the incidence in jest and return it in kind next time. Cousins do pull leg on each other. Hope you told your silent cousin that you don't like such jokes. For the elder cousin, just be watchful and if she repeats, look straight in her eyes and say if you are joking, i don't like it. Next time be alert and don't go down deep into the prank.

1 person likes this.
  6. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Don't take it to heart. Now you know what they are like.

The silent cousin is not on your side either as she is justifying the elder one's remarks.
    It is clear they don't respect you, as after making rude comments, they are passing it off as a joke. They should have apologized to you. Since they are trying to manipulate you, you do not have to discuss your feelings with them. If you say they were rude, they will keep insisting it was only a joke. You will get nowhere.

Just pretend like nothing happened, and continue talking to them as if nothing happened. Agree with the silent cousin that you overreacted, and laugh it off. Keep talking to both as you did before. Being cousins, you will keep running into each other.

Don't go out with the two of them. In case you cannot avoid them, take a friend or some other relative on some pretext who will not join in their 'jokes'. If something like this happens again, act like you don't care. They will stop eventually.

If you want to go one step further, you can act like you are praising your elder cousin at a family gathering. Mention some of her good qualities. Also, mention her good sense of humour, and recite the 'joke' she made to every one (Twist the truth a little, if you have to). Do this only if you can pass it off as praise for your cousin. Let you cousin explain the 'joke' to others. Your cousin will look bad and you will also earn appreciation of your family members for being so cool about it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi dear,

what may seem like a joke to you might offend others and what others think is a joke might offend you.sad but that is the nature of this world.
    Either they might have been really rude or you might have been a tad more sensitive about the situation.
    If you are comfortable enough to share the remarks,we might be able to tell who is right or who is wrong.

8. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

cousins also taking digs at each other?! is d cousin who started an argument significantly elder to u?! i think ify eldest cousin who is like 15 yrs elder to me i wud let it go.then agaim depends on topic!

9. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

Just say its a joke that they are trying to pass that incident off as a joke. If they make a face add oh dont take it to heart i was only joking.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

We can't comment without knowing what was the alleged joke about. We also have no idea as to how joyful you are, how your relationship with your cousin, and how things are between you guys so far.

I have a very close cousin, with whom I share almost everything like a best friend. She too pulls my leg, that too before others. Most of the time, I do the same for her too. But some times depends on my mood I get upset. I stop talking to her, but then it does not last forever. We patch up and do the same thing again and again. Bottom line, we know that we are there for each other, thus we won't mean bad on any other.

However, I too have cousins who are not so close with. Though we interact and in a good term with each other, we know that these cousins are a bit jealous on us, they might sugar coat before us, but bad mouth behind our back. I also know these cousins are not wholeheartedly loving us, but they just are okay type. So, if they mean anything to hurt me, I would badly get hurt and deal with them then and there. I can;t compare both the cousins at all.. So, it depends you see,,,