Ladies from South Africa - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi Suba

The one African vegetarian meal that we like is samp and beans. Usually it's cooked with mutton. Like biryani it's a meal in one that will provide carbohydrates, protein and even veg at one go.

There's 2 ways you can prepare the vegetarian meal. Boil 2 cups samp and 1 cup beans (sugar beans or broad beans) till soft. I suppose you can also use a pressure cooker but I'm terrified of it! Soak it first overnight - then boil for abt 2-3 hrs. Can add salt while boiling.
    Recipe 1: Braise onions, dry chillies, curry leaves, mustard seeds, jeera bit of hing, garlic and add to samp. Garnish with dhania.
    Recipe 2: Cook 2 cups of vegetables (frozen or fresh), soya chunks (optional) with spices and tomato. Add boiled samp.

These quantities are quite a huge portion but you can't eat samp alone. I usually invite my sister and mum and dad. You can try cutting down the quantity.

Sorry for replying so late.

Regards Neesha

Attached Files:

2. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

To answer your question about the president,I think the new president will turn things around for the better.At least i hope so,if you have kept in touch then you know who i am referring to.There are lots and lots of "creases for him to iron out" .Not too concerned though cos the next election is in 6 or 7 months,so he can prove himself or go.

Not sure if i will still be here then.Yes we are going to AU.
    Started the process today,and decided to go with immigration lawyers.
    After careful consideration we have filled the forms.Will send forms on Monday to agent
    and then wait 2 weeks for an answer as to whats the best visa or if we do stand a chance.Keep your fingers crossed for us please.

My hubby is not really getting anywhere with job search cos he needs visa first.
    It will be 2 weeks of hell for me.I am such an impatient person.
    My sons are so excited even though moving will take place in mid2009.

Take care
    Tracey

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Tracey

It's good to hear from you. I'm not sure what kind of a president Jacob Zuma will be, because I'm distracted by little worrisome things about him, like his rape trial, his corruption trial, and the fact that he did not finish school. To me, those factors seem to be red flags when choosing a president of a country.

I'm very glad that you've made some solid progress in your plans to emigrate. I know it is hard to wait, but once things start moving, you'll feel like you don't have enough time to pack and say your goodbyes. Maybe you can occupy yourself now with making lists of things you would need to do, should all your plans work out.

I'm sure you'll get the visa and your husband will find a job because I know quite a few South Africans who have left for Australia and they didn't have any trouble doing those things.

I wish you the best of luck for the coming months.

Ansuya

4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear South African Ilites,

Greetings from Sunny Nairobi.

My name is alpa, am a gujrati born and brought up in Nairobi the 4th generation in Nairobi.

was very happy to read about you all.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Have a great day.

love from Nairobi
    Alpa:cheers

5. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Alpha

Welcome to the club,your profile makes for very interesting reading.I see you have been one busy person.Your job sounds very interesting.Maybe you can tell us more about it.

Nairobi sounds interesting.I dont even know how far from Durban it is.
    Glad to hear about you and exercise cos i am one of those too.

Enjoy and hope to hear more about your interesting life.

Tracey

6. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

HI :hiya Tracey,

thank you for the Warm Welcome. Let me tell you something about my work, i sell the dye colour that is the raw materials togather with the chemicals, the customers buy these things from me then they dyecotton fabrics making designs by tieing the fabric or doing marbling, this TIE AND DYE is very famous in almost all african countries, it is done in smallscale and mostly by women, my work involves supportng chrch groups, NGO's, young ladies, street girls, single mothers, and others are trainined in this art of tie and dye thenthey make their own designs and dye the fabrics make long dresses to wear in summer they are called KAFTANS, majority of my clientile are women coming from poor backgrounds and NGO's who are training and funding certain women's group. this is a small scale cottage industry, i enjoy working with them and feel good that are doing something for themselves.

I just qualified as a Local Trainer and shall be soon registering with thew local training institute here in Nairobi and get a permission to train in companies. i cantrain from self development to customer satisfaction what ever the client wants.
    Am not really busy but when you are single you have lot to do and i enjoy it.

I go to the gym everyday do aerobics mon and wed, step aerobic tue and thurs and circuit on fri. on sunday i do resistant training with my personal trainer to tone my body.

have a great day
    :cheers
    alpa

7. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Alpha

Thanks for response,must say a day in the life of Alpha is interesting.You go girl,life is what you make of it.I truly admire you.keep well.

Tracey

8. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

How are things there.Heard the new president address the people of South Africa,a very promising speech indeed.Just have to wait and see what happens in the coming months.
    However that does not change our plans to move.

Tracey

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Tracey

Things are just fine here, thanks. I didn't watch the new president's address but I did read a bit of it online. Let's hope he manages to undo some of the damage the ANC has done in the last few years. I was encouraged by the good words that Nelson Mandela said about Kgalema Motlanthe - it's not often that Mandela has spoken out in favour of ANC leaders in the recent past.

The most exciting news for me, though, was the inglorious exit of Manto Tshabalala-Msimang from the Dept of Health. I doubt that there is another person who has singlehandedly done as much damage to the health of the nation as that awful woman.

I'm glad to hear your plans to move are still on track. Perhaps once things settle down in SA, and we see some sort of improvement in the areas of health and crime, it will again become desirable and possible to lead a secure and fulfilling life there.

Ansuya

10. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Hi Tracey,

thanks for the response and thank you for the compliments, am not busy at all, i always try to take out time and time for myself.

How have you been. I don't think there is a direct flight to Durban from Kenya but there is a direst flight from Nairobi to Jo'burg and to Capetown, it is a 5hr flight. i want to visit South Africa, was to come last yr for a conference in Sandton but could not make it due to work.

have a great day
    love
    alpa