Ladies from South Africa - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. SUBASRI

SUBASRI New IL'ite

Hi Chitra

Rent depends on the type of accomadation you prefer. Ask your husband to check in gumtree.co.za website for newlands rentals.

Modern 1-bdrmd house with open plan kitchen, oven & hob may be somewhat lesser on the rental side.

Definitely you should be able to get a moderate rental one. But make sure that it's secured.

Hold your breath for the awesome views from Table Mountain, and wish to c u soon in Cape Town.

Cheers
    Suba

2. Farzana

Farzana New IL'ite

Hi Chitra

Its only a pleasure

Please can you state which Newlands? As there's Newlands in Johannesburg; Durban and Cape Town

Warmest regards
    FARZANA

3. darne.chitra

darne.chitra New IL'ite

newlands in cape town near cavendish square.

4. SUBASRI

SUBASRI New IL'ite

Re: Ladies from South Africa !

Hi Indus Ladies from South Africa ..

Could any of you share African Vegetarian recipe ?

It would be a great trying and relishing the same.

Cheers
    Suba

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, IndusLadies in SA

I've been away from my home, South Africa, for a year now, and I just wanted to tell all of you that the thing I miss the most is Nando's! Yes, I would give my big toe for a strips and spicy rice (hot, extra sauce). So, all those ladies reading this who are lucky enough to be 5 minutes away from a Nando's, go out RIGHT NOW and get some, and think of how lucky you are!

By the way, I've met people overseas who have had Nando's in London who refuse to believe it all started in South Africa. So it makes me very proud to be able to bop them in the head and say, "Yes, I know it's Portugese chicken, but it originated in SA". One thing at least, that remains constant in my fast-dwindling list of things to be proud of about being South African.

6. SUBASRI

SUBASRI New IL'ite

Hi IL in SA

I agree with Anusya on Nando's. Food is really yummy there. But for burgers my choice is definitely Wimpys.

Please give a shout if others have any other good variance.

Cheers
    Suba

7. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi ANSUYA
    Totally agree about NANDOS.I live in DURBAN,CHATSWORTH.So many NANDOS shops around here.
    TAKE CARE
    TRACEY

8. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi,my name is TRACEY.I have lived in SOUTH AFRICA all my life.
    I am from DURBAN,THATS ON THE SOUTH COAST.
    IS THERE ANYONE GOING TO AUSTRALIA TO LIVE AND WORK .
    WE HAVE THE CHATSWORTH CENTER ,ITS A MALL VERY CLOSE TO HOME,
    ABOUT 5MINUTES AWAY.SHOPPING IS NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL.I CAN SAFELY
    SAY EVERYTHING IS IN ABUNDANCE.DO U HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PURCHASE IS A PROBLEM.THE RUNNING COST OF A HOUSEHOLD RUNS INTO THOUSANDS OF RANDS EVERY MONTH.JOBS ARE VERY HARD TO GET,EVEN IF U STUDY.
    THE INTEREST RATE IS TOO HIGH,FOOD PRICES HAVE DOUBLED.WE USED TO ENJOY THE BEACH.ITS ONLY 20MINUTES AWAY,DONT WANT TO GO THERE NOW,VARIOUS REASONS.GO TO GYM TO WORKOUT ON MOST DAYS.
    MUST SAY PAVILLION THEATRE OF SHOPPING IS THE MAIN SHOPAHOLICS DREAM.CRIME IS BAD,NEED TO WATCH YOUR BACK ALL TIMES,SPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A CAR.TIRED OF LIVING IN THIS PRISON TYPE PLACE.:hide:

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Tracey, welcome to IndusLadies. I'm sorry to hear about how tense life in South Africa has become. My husband and I left last year, mainly because he had an opportunity to further his training here in the US. However, since then, we've watched the news coming out of South Africa with dismay. It's clear things there are deteriorating fast and I'm afraid for the quality of life that my family and friends back home in SA must be experiencing.

I don't want to sound like I have all the answers just because I've moved away, and I'm not questioning the decisions of South Africans who choose to stay (or have no option but to stay). These are my personal opinions and are not prescriptions for anyone else. I wish I hadn't had to leave, but with the way things are going from bad to worse now, I'm not sure I ever want to come back. This is a very sad decision to make, because I love South Africa. It is a beautiful country with beautiful people. But as you point out, Tracey, it's hard to anjoy any of that beauty when you're constantly looking over your shoulder, wondering if today is the day your number will be up.

A lot of people say that instead of leaving, we should stay and try to improve things. Well, I tried to do what I could - I worked at a government high school in a semi-rural area instead of choosing to work in the insulated settings of a private school. In my opinion, that's the most I could do. I'm a school teacher, not a politician or a policeman. When I started to feel like I wasn't making a difference (in addition to feeling like my health and life were in danger from the conditions at the school, many of which could have been improved if the Dept of Education actually cared), I knew things were reaching an irrevocable turning point for me.

Thus, it was easier to make the decision to leave when my husband got the offer of a job here. I am the happiest I've ever been in years, simply because I'm not afraid every minute that I might be hijacked or robbed or murdered in my own home. I miss the Pavilion, the beach, Nando's, and all my family and friends. But I have gained peace of mind, and that is far more important to me than misguided feelings of patriotism or loyalty (which doesn't work if it's a one-way street, by the way - did my SA government feel any loyalty towards me when I lived there, as opposed to their bank accounts?).

Ansuya

10. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya,
    Curious to know,where in SA are u from.Am so glad u see things from my point of view.
    My hubby and i are keen on settling in AUSTRALIA,MELBOURNE.The difficult thing is job hunting.What job is your hubby in.Are you teaching in USA.
    MY personal view is that education in SA schools is (gone to shambles).
    I have 2 sons ,one is 10years and the other is 3.I fear for them growing up in a crime ridden country .My husband leaves for work every morning with a goodbye kiss and BE SAFE MESSEGE.We want to live in MELBOURNE AND THE BOYS ARE EXCITED.WHAT TO DO?