Ladies from China - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in China' started by chatkara_tasty, May 11, 2006.

1. shakilamy

shakilamy New IL'ite

Hi Durga,

Thank you so much for the info. I am glad that I have a friend in China who can help me after all. In fact I am desperately trying to get more infos thru magazines and nespapers here in Malaysia. Hopefully some more indians who are is currently residing in China can come forward to give me a hand at this.

Thank you again Durga and please do message me if you have any ther infos.

Take care and bye.

Shashi

2. priyasesh

priyasesh New IL'ite

Hi Folks,
    Though I am a frequent visitor in Indus ladies, its only today that I decided to register myself. I am put up in Shanghai, PRC with my family. Its been a little more than 2 years now. Even though there are tons of Indians in China & a lot of them in Shanghai, guess there are very few indusladies registered here.

3. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I am thinking of travelling to China in month of march..can anyone tell me how will the weather be around that time
    We are going to spend time at Changshu near Shanghai..can anyone guide about food availability as we are vegetarians and shall be staying for about one month
    Thanks in advance

4. durgees

durgees Bronze IL'ite

Hi Arch,

Changshu is almost 100 to 120 kms from Shanghai I think.

Eating outside in China is ruled out for vegetarians. So bring some minimum cooking needs, so that you can manage one month. Rice, vegetables, some cereals like, oats, corn, sabudhana, barli are available here. Bring wheat flour as we dont get it here. Bring spices also.

March it will be in the transition of winter to summer, and so it will be a pleasant climate here. Anyway bring one set of sweaters alone.

Do ask if you want to know any other information.

~Durga

5. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hi Durgees,
    thanx for instant reply.
    Now I know whom to contact for further info..how abt mandarin?
    have u learnt 2 speak a few sentences?.I was learning basic pinyin but now I have forgotten little bit .I need to practise .Anyway do the chinese understand our pronounciation,do let me know?
    bye for now,
    Archana

6. durgees

durgees Bronze IL'ite

Hi Archana,

Did you learn the pinyin through any tutor, or by yourself? Because Mandarin talked by Chinese is very different and tuning our tongue and tone to their slang is very difficult. Also they talk fast.

Also there are different dialects here in each city/province. And nowhere here you can see pinyin. They are writing only in mandarin.

We learned speaking in mandarin with great difficulty. And we are not so fluent.

But for staying one month, you will not need that much speaking practice. You can manage with actions. Mostly superstores here, so we can take the items that we want. But most of the biscuits, and chips kind of things, are containing egg and non-veg ingredients. We cannot read the ingredients as it is written in Chinese. So better dont buy those things, or buy the one which is having ingredients in English (You have to search a lot for it).

Just if you know how to pronounce for milk, salt, sugar, oil, it will be sufficient. And learn to ask for non-egg breads. (Show anything and ask "Méi Yŏu Jīdàn")

This will be sufficient I think. Any other word, which you think will be important, also you learn.

Regards,
    Durga

7. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hi Durgees,
    Thanx for ur concern.I was learning thru Indo-China chamber of commerce in a group..But only pinyin with lttle grammar & pronounciation.
    After learning I shud have practiced but unfotunately cud not do so.We learnt vocab,numbers,dates,sentence stucture etc.All students were working & ultimately found the language difficult.
    In mumbai it is easy to learnn french,german.even japanese but few teach /learn mandarin.Let me see whether my knowledge is gud enoughbonk

Bye,
    Archana

8. shaista

shaista New IL'ite

hi heena ,this is shaista im an indian and i live in china aswell.its nice to know you.get in youch and we can be friends

9. meghdes

meghdes New IL'ite

Hi Everybody!

This is Meghna Varma.....I shall be moving into China GaoYao by next week and am looking to make friends there.
    I am a hse wife moving in with my hubby and a six mnth old baby..Need to know about baby vaccination procedure here.

Meghna

10. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Meghana....

i saw ur message..generally in chinese hospital vaccination is very difficult to get...as u said u r moving here..so try to get prescription for vaccination for ur baby from ur doctor where u reside....here generally in chinese hospital difficult to find any english speaking doctor......but there are few like in beijing we have united family hospital where all doctors are english hospital and its an international hospital...u r going to gaoyao which is in guandong...that place is much better than our place tinajin...u try to check on net..............or contact any indian family already residing there..........best u can do get prescription from the doctor itself then here u can try ...possibly u can get