Lac jewellery making workshop at Dakshin Chitra on 15 and 16 Dec

Discussion in 'Places & Events' started by anushakmurthy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

Dakshin Chitra is organizing "Lac" jewellery making workshop on the 15 and 16 Dec 2007.

The workshop cost is Rs.500/- which includes materials.

Workshop will cover

- Bangle
    - pair of earring
    - kum kum box
    - jewellery box

Drop and Pick up from Dakshin Chitra will be arranged by Dakshin Chitra from Besant Nagar.

For more details you need to contact Lakshmi - 98417 77779.

Cheers!
    -Anusha

2. bhuman

bhuman Senior IL'ite

Hi....
    I came too know about Lac Jewelery while googling.. and got interest.... but didnt know where to learn.... today only i saw your post... can you please post the details of how to make them.....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

Bhuman,

Lac jewellery making is not as easy as Fashion jewellery making. Lac jewellery making includes a lot of equipments to do and needs fire also. Its may be good to see them do, however, if you want to do it for your own consumption, its lot of work to do it at home and we need to buy equipments also.

You may call Dakshin Chitra and find out when is their next Lac jewellery making workshop.

-Anusha

4. bhuman

bhuman Senior IL'ite

Hi, Thank You for the reply............
    Dakshin Chitra... Means , I dont know anything about that.... can you please post the details.... I just had a look on those Lac Jewels in google... it was really amazing......... that's y , took interest on that........ i just need to know the details like how it is made.. if you know please post it

5. sgayathrii

sgayathrii New IL'ite

Hi Anusha,

I am also interested in Lac jewellery making workshop. Can you please tell me contact details of Dakshin Chitra? Or can you update me when they will be conducting this worshop again?

Awaiting for your reply

cheers,
    gayathri

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Dakshin Chitra is located off ECR, towards Pondy , near Muttu kadu. It is a art and heritage centre. They conduct regular workshops on dying arts like lac jewellery, batik, kalamkari etc.

From my little bit of research on lac jewellery - they are what we call as jaipur jewels. It is done using fire, and cant be done at home like fashion jewellery.It also uses Kundan.

Even I will be very interested to learn to do that. next time, we need to see papers regularly because Dakshin Chitra advertises in that. Once I know, I will post it here.

Probably anusha can post some pics of her lac jewellery here :)

7. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hey IL,

I just called Dakshin Chitra. And I spoke to the person there. Very cordial and sweet people. They are not planning on a lac workshop in the next 6 months :cry:. But they do have other things like screen printing and all lined up. They told they will mail me a list of all planned workshops, so once they do that, I will post more here.

8. bhuman

bhuman Senior IL'ite

Hi.. Thank u for the effect that u took to enquire.....

If you have any LAC Collections do post.... even i'll try to post my collections soon......

9. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

That seems to be a roaring response...!!
    However during the December workshop, I did not see any Ilite's show interest on this...
    This is not like our fashion jewellery making which is pretty easy to handle and do things.
    Lac jewellery though it looks very good, there are some 9 - 10 small equipements which they want us to buy from them, in order to do it from home. It costs about 3000 bucks for the equipements alone. Additionally it requires fire to do these jewellery and we need to have good practice in moulding the bangle and even sticking stones on top of these jewellery.
    This is just my opinion based on my experience.
    However, it was good to watch how they do this. I will certainly post my pics soon though I decided not to persue this at home.

Cheers!
    -Anusha

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hey All,

Spoke to Lakshmi of Dakshin chitra. These are the workshops planned for summer

Screen Printing- April 27th - Costs 500

Glass Jewellery - 2 days workshop - not sure of dates - Costs 600

Wooden Bead Jewellery - 1 day - Costs 400

They had a paper works workshop on April 20th. I am not very sure of the rates above, i think it is better one calls and asks them personally.