1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Label Mystery?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Naari, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

IMG_7267.JPG IMG_7268.JPG Hi friends,

Talking of healthy snacks, I just opened a snack box which goes by the name "town house flatbread crisps Italian herb".. I had a couple & loved the taste, so proceeded to study the label. Now the no 1 ingredient on the list is wheat flour & dietary fiber is 0g & 0%.. how is that even possible? It's not even enriched wheat flour, it plainly says 'wheat flour'!! And for the curious, the company is Kellogg's & so I am not jumping to any conclusions of false label & advertising right away! Can someone pls help me solve this mystery?

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Dietary fiber can be lost during wheat flour processing . Somehow using the term "wheat" makes it seem healthy, but it's not necessarily the case. Same is the case with regular bread, I always look for "whole wheat " or "whole grain " rather than just wheat bread.

Archanaanchan and Naari like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hey, I also noticed that 'wheat flour' is listed as No 1 ingredient and 'whole wheat flour' as no 4 ingredient .. So my guess is the No 1 ingredient must be 'refined flour' / maida which they listed as wheat flour. I just googled maida to see the english terms used for it & indeed found 'wheat flour' as one of the english terms for it. See this:

Maida flour - Wikipedia

So, if it's made of predominantly maida, then I can understand 0% fiber.. But, I did not know maida was also called 'wheat flour'... I have always known it to be called refined flour or all purpose flour...

One thing is for sure the companies will go to any extent to make it sound healthier and to play on terms more perceptively healthy in the minds of the consumers. It really is buyer beware!!

Archanaanchan, SunPa and Sandycandy like this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Oh yes, maida is also called "wheat flour " here which technically it is . I was told a lot of Indian chapati "wheat "Flour also has maida.
    On a side note, I have also started paying attention to sodium content ( along with fat , cholesterol etc) . It is specially high in a lot of snacks and frozen foods.

Here's a useful link
    Sodium in Your Diet: Use the Nutrition Facts Label and Reduce Your Intake

Archanaanchan and Naari like this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I agree.. that's a good link.. even I have been thinking about it as I eat canned black beans with readymade salsa, almost every day once.. also, add couple chips some days (mostly eat with avocado) and, I use low sodium beans, but for salsas & chips, there isn't such an option.. and they all have sodium on higher side to make it tastier. So cumulatively, I might be consuming around 50-60% of DV of sodium just from that!! I was just telling Dh the other day that they shd start having low sodium options in everything..But I guess even for companies it's tricky. Its almost a thin line that the companies have to tread on balancing between making products healthy & tasty! If it's too healthy, then ppl won't buy it!

So I guess that leaves us with not many options available except to eat homemade food, which I do most of the time.. but these little things I read & hear every now & then are like wake up calls!:(

Archanaanchan and Sandycandy like this.
  6. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Canned and processed food are the most dangerous:) Our eating habits changed and so did we invite a lot of new diseases. the basic food that we ate has become highly adulterated. The other day i was watching a few documentaries on netflix on food.. the food inc.. what the food?.. Meat and diary is like no safe at all:( i was amazed like how the american govt is also involved and cheating by promoting the bad food and making it available to people in plenty:) This is really disheartening.

Sandycandy likes this.