Kumon vs Beestar. Your ideas?

Discussion in 'Indians in Texas' started by meena texas, Mar 22, 2008.

1. meena texas

meena texas New IL'ite

I have recently referred to beestar for math worksheet for my kid. He loves it, so do I. Since math is free we started immediately and he got ribbon for his work very week.

If you are new to this site, it's fantastic(beestar .org). The questions are problem-solving type, good to help kids thinking.

I saw a lot of kids from Virginia and MA on Beestar's Honor Roll list. So I look for suggestions here. I wonder if I should take English (ELA) and GT math from them as well, those 2 are paid exercises but only $20-$30 for semester, really nothing compared to Kumon. Most of all, my kid asked more things to do from Beestar site.

My quesion is if I register for beestar ELA, should I go ahead drop Kumon entirely? I am getting a bit tired of paying and driving for kumon, and recently kids lose interest since the formats are kind of boring.

I appreciate if you have any suggestion about beestar and kumon.

Thanks.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I had never heard of Beestar earlier.
    You could continue for couple of more days with what you are doing, later you could try Kumon also. And find out what suits best for your kid.
    My kids goes to Kumon and we are happy with that.

Regards.

3. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy New IL'ite

Hi!:hiya My daughter has been doing math exercises. Last semester, we started ELA. They look good. My daughter loves them very much. Beestar is continent, excellent and very economical comparing to kumon. So we will use beestar right along.:)
    Lisa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. stellaq

stellaq New IL'ite

Kumon is great for the envrionment and teaching method, but it also has the disadvantages of high expense and time waste. My son has been there for two years, and learned a lot. But now we have found that Beestar is much cheaper and convenient, so he is doing the free math and vocabulary practice in Beestar while going to Kumon. I think this kind of arrangement benefits him more.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. NehArjun

NehArjun New IL'ite

Have heard a lot about Kumon...
    Had one question with kumon, what age do you get kids started on Kumon or Beestar ??

6. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My son has been doing Kumon for the past three years and my daughter has started from Oct '08. Kumon has really helped and is helping my kids with math and reading. The repetition has made it easy for my son to catch the tables quickly, also when marking time on the sheets , it helps him assess his work and work a bit more faster.

He also does Beestar and loves it. It is all about comaprisons and thinking right. Multiple choices makes it very interesting and challenging. He feels doing both Kumon and beestar is helping him do well.

As for my daughter, she is able to write her name and read most 3 letter words. She turns 4 this Oct.

As long as they are interested I plan on going with both.

Viji

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. jpoorni

jpoorni Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Should we register for using the free maths worksheet from the site beestar .org.

Looking to hear from you all,

Regards,
    Poorni

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. jyosat

jyosat New IL'ite

Hi All -

I have a 4 yr old son and planning to join him for Kumon or Beestar. Is this an appropriate age for this? I registered on the beestar and tried looking for free math worksheets. But I see that they start from Grade 1 and I am looking for kindergarten level. Can someone already using help me to use this....

Appreciate your help in advance!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy New IL'ite

We have registered Beestar summer term. We are travelling to Thai, is it easy to get internet connection there?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. asnmdirteha

asnmdirteha New IL'ite

Beestar is a great website to utilize. My students have been using Beestar and have been responding well to learning from Beestar. Kumon is great but tends to be more tedious and mundane. Overall I think that Beestar does a great job helping my students learn new skills and stay proactive in learning these new skills.

Thyagarajan likes this.