1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kumon for after school learning

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by intel1, Sep 16, 2015.

1. intel1

intel1 New IL'ite

howdy all.

Just starting here and looking to get thoughts from others. Kids schools just started after the summers break and we are finding that there is no discipline around their activities after school so we want to put something together for them. We have 2 girls - 9 yo and 6 yo. Our elder one went to Kumon few years ago and few months, she started to hate it and so we decided to give her a break. The other options we have looked at - Oxford Learning and Sylvan learning - are too expensive .. something like $50 an hour. Are there any other parents/moms who have suggestions for us? Have you tried virtual tutoring or is it too early for all that?

Appreciate your help with this.

PS: We are in Canada.

2. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I have two kids similar age, my son hated kumon too. it is repetitive and he found it boring.
    now that we are trying to get back to school routine, i suggest you get kumob books from barnes and noble or other stores and make then do few pages everyday.
    i make my daughter do that along with few pages of word study ( dolch sight words)
    still trying to come up with a routine. everyday we do 20 mins reading. slowly you can add more homework.
    if you feel your kids need more help then consider those learning centers, if not dont waste money. save it for higher grades. just my 2cents.

3. Lotus98

Lotus98 Junior IL'ite

For Math, Singapore Math workbooks (available online) are good. It has more word problems and is self explanatory. WorldlyWise workbooks are useful for English.

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Sylvan also has workbooks, try them. They had more challenging problems compared to Kumon workbooks. Singapore math is also good however you need to introduce the singapore math concepts (there are lots of activities that you need to do in order to reap the benefits of singapore math), if you have the time, go for it.

Khan's academy, ixl are good online resources.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

What about other classes like music or martial arts? My 4 year old started martial arts a month ago and the effect it seems to have on her focus seems tremendous. I see her paying more attention and improving in other sports and music over the last couple of weeks.

Since you seem to be wondering what to engage your kids in after school, my alternative suggestion.

6. asnmdirteha

asnmdirteha New IL'ite

Yeah, we're not big fans of Kumon either, the kids find it too tedious and repetitive so we switched to other methods. The only one that really stuck so far is Beestar, the kids enjoy it to an extent and love the math competitions.

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

In my opinion their math tend to get very repetitive but you will see benefits in higher classes... but I do feel it is big task for parents as well as kids.

I like their English and recommend it. It is really good and needs minimum intervention from parents and has helped my kid tremendously ...