1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kumon/Beestar/Gideon/Aloha etc...... Classes for kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Anushiv, May 21, 2007.

1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi friends..

How is Sylvan's and Kaplan learning centre? I have heard reallly good comments about Sylvan though. OR you girls still suggest Kumon is better than any other learning centre. Please throw some light on these two learning centres. Thank you.

2. RainLady

RainLady Senior IL'ite

I don't like kumon much because of repetition. My daughter went to kumon for 1 year. She lost interest. she is really interested to do math after kumon she was loosing interest in math so i stopped. Now she is doing beestar. She likes very much. I signed for ELA and Vocabulary in beestar. Its worth it.

1 person likes this.
  3. pshethrana

pshethrana New IL'ite

Re: Kumon

Which Fremont location did your child go to ? We are currently considering sending our 4 yr old for reading class and would appreciate your response.

1 person likes this.
  4. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi ilites!!
    What is the Kumon Math equivalent for grade 2?What level are they generally placed?Thinking of putting my son in Kumon Mth..But heard that they dont teach how to solve word problems in kumon which the schools give so much importance...Plese Moms of grade 2 kids reply..

1 person likes this.
  5. Amrutav

Amrutav New IL'ite

Hi

I stay In India. Is Beestar website secured for credit card payment. Is it possible to use it from India?

I want online English/ grammar learning for my child.

can anyone suggest good websites?

Regards
    AV

6. Amrutav

Amrutav New IL'ite

Re: Best $20 You Can Spend - msg from my friend

is it ok to pay with card, as I don't stay in US. I am not sure whether to register.

7. Sonalinm

Sonalinm Junior IL'ite

I like Kumon for Math as my both kids are going there for last three years and they are 3-4 grade ahead then school level, it also helps them to get admission in the gifted class. Though kids are getting bored after doing repeated worksheets..but after all Kumon is based on memorization.

1 person likes this.
  8. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy New IL'ite

I think it is ok to pay with card for beestar. But it is better to send consultation to beestar via email info@beestar.org.You can also check beestar from www.beestar.org. Hope this helps. :roll:
    Lisa

1 person likes this.
  9. priya200

priya200 New IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  10. ldickie

ldickie New IL'ite

It's difficult to say one program is better than any of the others. Different programs work better for children with different types of learning styles. Some children do very well with repetition, others - especially bright and gifted children - will get bored with repetition. Why should they continue to do the same type of question over and over when they already understand it? This can just make them frustrated and turn them off of studying. Children like this need a program that challenges them to think outside the box and come up with their own solutions. The problems must offer twists and turns which require logical and creative thinking to determine what the problem is asking before determining what skill sets can be applied to solve it.

Advanced children don't benefit from just memorizing formulas and applying them. They need to solve the problems on their own and be challenged consistently so that they don't get bored. The need to be with other bright children like themselves so that they can discuss and debate ideas. Often, children thinking at a higher level than their age-mates don't have this opportunity.

Enrolling a bright and gifted child in a program that provides all of these elements will allow them to reach their full potential.

1 person likes this.