Kulfi & Delhi summer

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by SoniaVerma, Apr 30, 2009.

1. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Kulfi is an all time favorite Indian dessert — especially in summer! It’s a little like ice cream but Kulfi has it’s own unique flavor. A visit to Delhi cannot be complete if you haven't tasted the array of kulfis in Delhi. Let us know the best place to have kulfi in Delhi. Which is your favorite Kulfi flavor and do you make kulfis at home. Share your Kulfi recipes here.

Happy Posting!
    Sonia
    [​IMG]

2. amallela

amallela New IL'ite

I love any Kulfi, I try experimenting with diff flavors too. I make kulfi with ricotta cheese, condensed milk and based on what kind of flavor I add that..for Mango, I add Mango Pulp, or Pista powder for Pista Kulfi or Kesar for Kesar Kulfi etc..

3. nutangill

nutangill New IL'ite

I love Mango Kulfi - my mother makes it best. Of course, with office and all I am too lazy for making it myself. Great stuff you have here -- makes my mouth water.:bowdown

4. Hetalpanchal

Hetalpanchal New IL'ite

Hi Delhi ladies :)

Kemcho? Majama? This is Hetal from Ahmedabad. Its amazing to learn that Kulfi is a favorite amongst Delhites too. In Gujarat, kulfis are a delight to savor during summer. As you know, we are fortunate to have some of the finest icecream brands (Amul, Havmor, Vadilal) selling 'yummy' icecreams and kulfis. You can witness equal rush outside icecream parlors as outside restaurants, and yes, Kulfi is the favorite summer dessert.

my personal favorite is kesar pista & almond. I've tried making almond kulfi at home and it turned out quite well. :thumbsup

Take care,
    Hetal

5. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Kulfi's in summer is perhaps a favorite cutting across geographical barriers. I've never enjoyed a kulfi by the India Gate in Delhi, but my friends in Delhi tell me that it has its own mazaa.

One of the best places I have enjoyed kulfis is Lonavala, getting drenched in the monsoon rains. Thats an experience in itself.

What's khaas about Kulfi in Delhi?
    By the way, Kulfi Recipe please....
    :wink:

6. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

Kulfi & Delhi....heh..heh..its inseperable. :rotfl
    By the way, you really need to be by the India Gate with Kulfi in hand to know what you have been missing elsewhere. So next time you are in Delhi in summer..do not forget to check out the famous kulfis in Delhi.

Here are a few famous names to help you out. :)

The most famous name among all the kulfiwallahs in Delhi is the Roshan di Kulfi (Karol Bagh)
    , Kuremal Kulfi (Kucha Pati Ram, off Sitaram Bazaar). Other places for having toothsome kulfis in Delhi include Jeeta Kulfi Wale (Krishna Nagar), Sita Ram Nannumal Kulfiwala (Ajmeri Gate), New Kulfi House (Daryaganj), Vijay Variety Kulfiwale (Chandni Chowk). [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

7. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Hi Amallela, Can you share your kulfi recipe for us? I know we can find it on the net. But I believe that what we see on the net is 80% and the 20% is obscured....i.e. the tips and tricks involved in making any recipe. :)

I'm sure we can learn the tricks of making the right kulfi; as for me it never turns out right. shakehead

cya
    Sejal

8. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

i'll take kulfi in any way that I can get it.. love kulfi.. i'm a little biased towards mango though.. :)

pls share your recipe.. i've never made it at home, but i would love to try with ricotta cheese.. sounds quite yummy!

9. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]Kulfi is my favorite desert, not only because I can make different Kulfis with just the change of flavor - kesar pista, elachi, mango, etc; but also because Kulfi has a very long shelf life so keep some on hand for an instant dessert option when guests are over. Hope you like this recipe.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->
    [/FONT]
    Badam (Almond) Kulfi
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:118915068; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:2072941200 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:; mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in; font-family:Symbol;} @list l1 {mso-list-id:125316561; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-326204032 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;} @list l1:level1 {mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:; mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in; font-family:Symbol;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Ingredients:

• 1 Cup Almonds (peeled and grinded)
    • 1-1/2 Cup Condensed milk
    • 1 Cup Whipped cream
    • 1/4 tsp Powdered cardamom
    • 1/2 Cup Pistachios (chopped)
    • Pinch of Saffron

How to make Almond Kulfi:

• Mix all the ingredients except pista and saffron in a large bowl.
    • Beat the mixture for about 2-5 minutes to make it soft.
    • Now put this mixture in a conical mould.
    • Sprinkle it with chopped pistachios and saffron.
    • Keep it for freezing for about 8 to 10 hours.
    • Almond Kulfi is ready.

10. bhavnaparikh

bhavnaparikh New IL'ite

That's a great recipe Sanjana. My favorite in this season is of course Mango Kulfi. I'd like to share a tip for all those who are finding reasons for not making kulfi since you do not have a kulfi mould. :)

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Palatino Linotype"; panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 5 5 3 3 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870009 1073741843 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Kulfi can also be molded in a popsicle maker or fancy shaped ice cube trays.

Hope this helps. Please share your tips as well for making the right kulfi.

Thanks
    Bhavna