Kuala Lumpur - Living in....

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by science, Nov 5, 2010.

1. science

science New IL'ite

Hello Indians,

I am looking into a faculty position in University in Kuala Lumpur. I am not sure about the cost of living. I am married.
    What would be the cost of
    1. 2 bedroom apt in a decent quiet neighbour hood (range). Furnished / unfurnished.
    I do understand that there are some posh localities.
    2. Food and other expenses / month for a couple.
    3. Can spouse get job there - ?
    4. Any procedures to get work permit?
    5. Possibility of becoming a malaysian?
    6. Is the healthcare provided by govt (even for people on work permit)?
    7. Howz the transporation facilities in KL?

I will very much appreciate if someone can answer these questions.
    Thanks in advance
    Science

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Science,

I will answer your questions in the order that you have posted them,

Welcome to malaysia:)

You have mentioned that you are looking for a faculty position in a University. Does it men that you already have the offer for job or Are you going to search for a faculty job here? Please be specific.

1.The locality you choose is good if its near your work place. Generally, the apartment rent varies from place to place. If it is furnished, then the rent will be still more.
    Ex: Decent locality - at least 750RM for unfurnished apartment, 250RM for monthly electricity, water, maintenance, security etc

2. Depends on whether you cook your food at home or prefer to eat out mostly. Then again depends on your spending-life style. May be 1000RM should be enough for food and household on a rough basis.

3."Can spouse get job there" - In your case, who is a spouse. Are you a Malaysian passport holder or your husband? Yes, can get, but there are several limitations.

4. Yes, of course you have to have a work permit if you are not a malaysian. Then if you travel from some other country here for work as an expat, then you have to get work permit prior to arrival. Lots of procedures involved, usually the employer helps you get a permit.

5.You are a Malaysian only if you are born here. But on residing here for several years or by wish - You can get ''Malaysia-My Second Home'' Status. Check the malaysian immigration website.

6.Government hospitals are there, they will treat you at very low cost, if that is what you ask for.

7.Transportation in KL depends on the places between which you want to travel. Some places have good public transport connectivity. some very poor.It is always better to drive your own vehicle otherwise your options may be limited.

All in all, get your job confirmed, then based on your pay, the other details can be calculated. Everything will be happening good for you in future. My Best wishes:cheers Keep us posted and we are willing to share any information that may be helpful to you.