1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Krishna Chronicles – 5

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Jun 4, 2008.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Morning walks

Ayee loves walking… Given a chance, she’d walk everywhere. Dajee loves walking too…but these days he is busy. Sometimes she and Dajee will make us walk all the way around the big park… I mean, Bu-Yyya will walk… I will be in my pram, still, it is tiring to go on and on and on…you know. When Bu-Yyya complains that he’s tired she’ll tell him, if he walks she’ll buy him Poori-Bhaji from Annapurna on the way back. Bu-Yya loves the Poori- Bhaji at Annapurna, so he’ll walk…

Other than these walks with Dajee, Ayee goes for morning walks with Teacha. Every morning, when Bu-Yyya gets ready for school, I too put on my Choo( I can put them on myself now… but after I have them on, Ayee will remove them and put this one there and that one here... she loves doing things for me, I guess…) Ayee will get my pram and my Caa and we’ll lock up and go down… Teacha will join us later.

We go inside a small room that is dark and moves … When we come out we are near the door that leads out. I am scared of that room. Ayee says there are many CO-COCH in there and that I shouldn’t go there alone… I am scared of CO-COCH…sometimes Ayee will threaten me with them… specially, when I keep my mouth tightly shut when she feeds me mummum… But I guess CO-COCHes are afraid of Ayee too because they never go near her.

Once down, I can run around the sidewalk till Bu-Yya’s bus comes. Ayee will be busy talking to other ayees and sometimes I run fast towards the other end of the sidewalk…only some ayee will notice and yell and Bu-Yya will come running after me and Ayee will drag me back yelling at me. When Bu-Yya’s bus stops, all will run towards it and wave as they go. By now Teacha would have joined us. Ayee will say ‘Bye’ to other ayees. Then she will make me sit and put the belt around me tight… That’s another thing I hate. I’ll cry out to her not to put the belt around me when I am in the pram but she won’t listen…When I grow up, I want to put a belt around Ayee and make her sit still… only then she’ll know how uncomfortable it is… That’s another thing I am waiting for…

Teacha and Ayee will be talking, talking and talking while walking. Sometimes they’ll be so busy that they won’t realize I am being bumped about… As it is, when we cross the side roads I am bumped up and down the sidewalks… I used to squeal initially whenever Ayee tilted the front wheels of the pram to put the pram on the sidewalk… Now I know when to expect that….so I don’t squeal… I love watching people .. Many people will be standing around as we go, waiting for their Caa or bus. Some would smile at me… Some would stare at me… Some kids would look at me jealously…I guess those are the ones who don’t want to go to school…

I love looking at the shops as we go by. There are shops with clothes and with lamps and with papers…but I love the ones with toys… I can see a BIG RED CAA with a smiling face and whenever we pass by I say, “Ayee….Caa!” and she’ll say ‘Yes- Yes…caa’ and go back to yakyakking to Teacha… Sometimes I look up and PEIN in the sky. I point it to Ayee and Ayee will say,’ Yes – Yes… Pein!’ and go back to talking. There is a big shop with two big men with caps holding out plates… Ayee says it is a Ho- Tel… I see them everyday and used to wonder why they didn’t move. One day, Bu-Yya was with us and he said, ‘Krishu, see dolls…’ and he touched one. They still didn’t move. Then I came to know they are not real men… but toys… I wish I had a Caa toy as big as a real Caa…

Once they reach the last sidewalk they turn around and walk back. That’s the cue for me to ask for my Caa. I feel bored when we walk back… Same old sidewalk…same people still waiting for Caa or bus… same shops… ( Same Caa in the shop window that I love…) Once I pretended to sleep while coming back which alarmed Ayee, I don’t know why. After that she always keeps a Caa or two in the pouch behind the pram so that she can hand them to me. I play with my Caas… I think Caas are the most beautiful things in the world… Now a days I can recognize Dajee’s Caa… The first time I pointed out Ayee was so happy…She asked me how I know… I didn’t tell her I could see a design KIA at the back… That’s how I know it is like Dajee’s Caa.

It is hot during the walk these days. Ayee makes me wear a cap and then she opens the hood of the pram too. I don’t like it. I can’t see Ayee when the hood is up… I like turning around and confirming that it is she who is pushing my pram. It is a relief when we return and Ayee stops in the paring lot to release me. I walk up the stairs… on my own these days… I am growing fast, says Teacha. Now I can climb steps with out holding the rails. Only the grown ups don’t believe it. So someone always walks behind me thinking that I’d fall…

When I grow up… I’ll be bigger than them… then I’ll do to them whatever they are doing to me now!
    But when will that be?

1 person likes this.