1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kolangal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by krishnaamma, Jan 31, 2008.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,
    in this blog we are going to discuss about one of our favorite item. Yes we are going to discuss about kolangal. We women generally fond of putting kolams. From the olden days, we are used to it. What ever be the function, whether it is joy or sorrow, birth or death we used to put kolams. We used to put them in front of god, we put them in front of our houses etc., Here we are going to see the verity of kolangal . You can leave your comments and share knowledge about kolam here.
    Kolams are known by different names in different parts of India. Hase in Karnataka, muggulu in Andrapradesh, chowkpurna in Uttar Pradesh, alpana in Bengal and Assam, and rangoli in Gujarat and Maharashtra.

'Vasal thelithu kolam podu' is a phrase rarely heard these days in the city. The kolam and 'mavellai thoranam' (string of fresh mango leaves tied together) are a must in every Hindu home as they are auspicious symbols. In this age of rockets and computers, the traditional kolam is giving way to modern substitutes.

Kolam a very beautiful art of women ,related to Brahmin Culture ,which originated in South India more than 3000 years ago. Our Brahmin women begins their day with this creative art in front of our Homes and decorates with simple and also very beautiful designs of kolam's by using Rice flour or Limestone powder.Rice flour is pinched between the thumb and finger and rubbed together while moving the hand continuously to creat good designs .In our earlier days it was compulsary for Brahmin girls to learn this art form.

(Generally my grand mom used to say we have to put 2 strings of kolam for good things and 1 string for death ceremony.)
    In our earlier days it was compulsary for us to learn this art form.My grand mother and my mother were aware of importance of this art and they helped to develop the skills to us.There are different types of Kolam's.The kolam's are referred as "Rangoli" in North India,which are very colourful. While in South India it is mainly known as Pulli Kolam's or Neli Kolam's.Pulli means Dots. Neli means Curvy.It is belived that the "Dots" are symbolic of Challenges which we have to face in our lives and the "Curvy" ,line around these Dots is the jouney (Yathra ),during our life.
    [​IMG]

2. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear Krishnamma,
    That was a nice and detailed write up about kolam.My Mother used to have many notebooks full of kolams drawn on different occasions.I too like kolams a lot and have also participated in Rangoli competitions in my college days.For my Thalai pongal last year,i drew kolams everywhere in my MIL's house.Ur blog brought back all my memories of that day.Thanks.
    Reg,
    Shantha

3. Jayalakshmi Mohan

Jayalakshmi Mohan New IL'ite

Yes I agree. Kolam is an art by itself. It improves concentration, memory power and application. Children can be taught to draw simple kolams and improvise them according to their imagination!
    Even these days I admire kolams drawn artistically by uneducated women in front of their huts in villages!

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

There are men who could out beat women in drawing kolam. Even at roadside men draw kolams of deities like Lord Balaji and Anjaneya. One of my friends who is no more now used to draf beautiful kolams of Deities during Navarathri and people thronged to see the kolam every year. Veedu niraiya kolam pottu, veedu niraiya vilakkum errivaiththale Lakshmi Kataksham pongum!

5. krishnaamma

Hi Shantha,

Welcome to this blog. As you said my mother also had many note books. But when I started putting kolams, I maintained a file so that at a time me , my sister and my grand mother (mother's mother and also my MIL) will use that. We will select one kolam for the next day and we practice it in the night. Generally me and my grand mother used toput designs and flowers type kolams. That is 'curvy' kolams. My mother and my sister used to put 'neli' kolams. We had many number of people who will appreciate our kolams. on those days there were no comp. like now. Even then me and my sister put very nice kolams and we had a 'fan circle' in our road. Daily they will come and give their comments. I uploaded all my kolams in a seperate web site.
    Thanks for your comment.

6. krishnaamma

Hi Jayalakshmi,
    As you said it is a art. But also it is a good exercise for ladies. When we try to put kolam in the early mornings, expecially in Margazhi month, we will get fresh air and oxygen It is good for our health. Generally we bend and put kolams, so it is a good exercise for our hip and stomach.
    Now many people like Dinamalar , Hamam soap giving encouragment for kolam and they are arranging for 'Kolam Competitions' .So naturally children will learn this art.

7. Jayalakshmi Mohan

Jayalakshmi Mohan New IL'ite

Hi Krishnamma
    could you please name the website where you have uploaded all your kolams?

8. krishnaamma

Hi Jayalakshmi,

Let me post it you through a PM. I dont know whether I can give that address here :)

9. krishnaamma

Hello Pushpavalli Srinivasan,

Neenga sonnadhu 100% nigam :)

Veedu niraiya kolam pottu, veedu niraiya vilakkum errivaiththale Lakshmi Kataksham pongum!

Romba romba sari!

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Krishnamma,

Good to see you back! Like our Sunkan , you are another versatile genius. Kolams are my best friend. I am terrible in drawing them, but I really enjoy seeing them. My mom is an expert though. One of my many ambitions in life is to do kolams and henna perfectly. Your article is very well written. You have a knack of saying it all perfectly.