Kojagari Lakshmi Puja

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by piyagupta, Sep 30, 2009.

1. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Kojagari Lakshmi Puja is a Bengali festival that is celebrated in almost every household. Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth, is worshipped on the fifth day following Bijoya Dashami. It is “purnima” or the full-moon day.

Lakshmi is one of the two daughters of Ma Durga. Lakshmi symbolizes prosperity, wealth and peace. On the full-moon night, people worship Her at their homes and seek Her blessings.

Delicious “bhog” are cooked and are offered to Ma Lakshmi. It is believed that on the night of Kojagari Purnima, Ma Lakshmi visits the homes of the devotees and blesses them with prosperity and peace.
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. aditimajumder

aditimajumder New IL'ite

Hello Piya,

we celebrate 'kojagori lakhhi pujo' in my house. the main thing about this pujo is the 'alpona' which my sister and i engage in drawing throughout the house. to tell you a truth, my sister does a better job. 'kichuri' is must in this pujo.
    in the evening, after the process of 'boron kora' done by my mother, aunts and grandmothers to the lakhhi thakur and the 'kola bou' then the pujo begins.
    the whole day my mother, aunts and grandmothers keep fast.

bye,

Aditi

3. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

According to religious texts, on Aswin month purnima-night, Goddess Lakshmi sets out on a voyage to have a look at who all are waking up to worship her. Wherever she finds devotion and peace, she bestows wealth and happiness and returns to her abode -Vaikunth.

There is an interesting explanation of the word “KOJAGRI” It is said that Goddess Lakshmi asks of her devotees “kaun jag raha hai” (who is awake). This has led to the aswin - purnima being called the kojagri purnima. This year Kojagri purnima falls on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> Oct 09 and many communities celebrate Lakshmi puja on this day..

4. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Let me share a myth.

Goddess Lakshmi is depicted as a beautiful golden woman who sits or stands on a lotus, which is believed to be Her symbol. She is also known as Sri and attains reverence as the consort of Vishnu.

Lakshmi is believed to be the daughter of sage Bhrigu who had taken refuge in the sea of milk during a time when the Gods were exiled from Heaven as the result of a sage’s curse. She was reborn during the churning of the ocean of milk. The Goddess of wealth emerged from the ocean, radiating her beauty and holding a lotus in her hand.
    [/JUSTIFY]

5. raginisharma

raginisharma Senior IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Goddess Laxmi was married to Vishnu. She has a share in Vishnu’s activities as preserver. This reinforces her earlier character as Goddess of fortune and giver of wealth.

The materials needed for Kojagari Laxmi Puja are oil, turmeric, soil from River Ganga, grain, stone, perfume, “Durba”, flowers, fruits including one dozen bananas in one stem, corrilium, urine of cow, white mustard seeds, gold, silver, copper, mirror, curd, ghee, vermilion, “swastik pituli”, conch shell, “altaa”, yellow thread, iron metal, “chaamor” (a fan made of Yak’s tail), earthen lamps, arrows and metal lamps (panch-pradeep), sesame seeds, myrobalan, “Ghot”and an earthen bowl full of “aatop” rice.
    [/JUSTIFY]

6. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Other materials required for the “Adibas Dala” or Lakshmi Puja are a saree for Lakshmi, two dhotis for Vishnu and owl, a nosering, a cane basket containing a comb, a small mirror, one iron bangle, two conch shell bangles, two coral bangles, “aalta” (lac-dye), vermilion and a few “kori”s.

Things needed for the “hom” or “yagna” are sand, wood, twigs, ghee, twenty eight wood-apple leaves, camphor, thatched rice, flower garland, coconut, betel leaves, a wooden plate, “pan masala”, two “ghoti”s, cow urine, “dakhina”, or offerings in cash and kind to the priest, and a “purnapatro”.

Other things required for Kojagari Lakshmi Puja are “chandmala” and materials for the “bhog” offering.
    [/JUSTIFY]

7. mousumi4ever

mousumi4ever New IL'ite

Hello Gals,

To Susma, i have also heard the myth about 'Kojagori Lakhhi Pujo', the goddess asked 'ke jago ri?' hence the name. i have seen my mother, aunts and grandmothers preparing for this pujo. they all wear 'alta' something which i have a desire to wear as well, but as far as i know only the married ladies can wear this 'alta'. anyways, the thing that i do in the lakhhi pujo is that i put 'alpona'. i like drawing the feet the most.

continue to post.

bye,

Mousumi

8. Anupamlaxmi

Anupamlaxmi New IL'ite

9. Anupamlaxmi

Anupamlaxmi New IL'ite

Hi PiyaGupta,
    I hope you are a bengali...right?...
    i love to know about bengali rituals.
    Please tellme does one need to be
    awake on the day of Kojagari Lakshmi Puja?