1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Knowingness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Jul 4, 2015.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

[FONT=&amp]I have always loved the books by James Herriot. He writes a lot about shepherds and their flock. For the lay person all sheep look alike but for the shepherd each and every sheep has its own personality and are so different from each other.

I remembered this as we were walking on the streets of Oxford along with our walking tour group. Oxford is a beautiful place and at first glance all those beautiful buildings look so similar but they are so different. Our guide told us something very interesting about the importance of architecture. According to him the architect of a religious building would have achieved his dream if people experienced a feeling of wonder upon entering that place and felt they were in the presence of God. The religious buildings, the colleges, the library buildings (Bodleian Library), all have their own special architecture, which makes them so different from each other. Architecture also gives an atmosphere and there is a feeling of recognition, an awareness, on entering the place.

Of course, just the architecture does not make a place. Important are the people in that place and the emotions of the people who enter the portals. It is they who give importance to the plus and minus points of the place. I feel people see what they want to see.

Writing about emotions and awareness I remember our visit to Wimbledon a few days earlier. It had been a very precious time for us. For most tennis lovers Wimbledon is very special place. It was an amazing experience to see all that was in the museum and the highlight of the day was seeing the Centre Court in person. The official who took us there was very nice and answered all our questions. Till then we had seen the place only on TV and it was a beautiful moment to just look down from the stands. I have been following Wimbledon from the days of Chris Evert and Borg. This year is more special.

This same knowingness is there with people too. With some, there is this feeling of rapport and with others a feeling of not liking them even if they are strangers.
    Why this is so? There is no answer.[/FONT]

View attachment 221385

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,
    I love Herriot's books..All things bright and beautiful etc. I have seen the television series also. There is a Herriot County also.
    Coming to sheep one of the comments Herriot makes is hilarious. His wife had given birth to a baby. Nurse takes him with her to the room where the babies are there with the code numbers tied to their wrists. From behind a glass panel nurse shows him his baby. He comments after having a look at the baby and a glance around the room....Human babies are all are alike unlike sheep. Each sheep has a unique appearance whereas human babies look alike!
    You seem to gave enjoyed trip to London. I like public transport there.
    Syamala

3. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Thank you Syamala:)
    Sorry for the delay.
    Yes, we had a wonderful time in London, two months have gone by and everything seems like a dream. I love books by Herriot:) Regards, Lakshmi