Know our Coimbatore - Part 1

Discussion in 'Coimbatore' started by subbutr, Oct 25, 2007.

1. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

My dear friends,

Welcome to Coimbatore.

Also known as Kovai, Coimbatore, one of the fastest growing cities in India.

The third largest city in Tamilnadu, it has earned a coveted place in the industrial and agricultural map of modern India.

Coimbatore city is the headquarters of the district.

493 kms from ( Madras ) Chennai city, it is connected by rail, air and road to almost all the places.

Very appropriately called the "Manchester of South India", it is a major textile and engineering centre.

This series being presented to highlight the industrial growth in Coimbatore by the hard work and dedications of the innovative & efficient administative industrialists, whose quest to serve the customers needs and improve the Nations Economy from Exports & Domestic Market.

Manufacture of pumpsets is one of the major industries of Coimbatore.

Apart from a cement factory, a cooperative sugar mill, bleaching units, paper mill, small gem factories, transistors and electronic calculators are also known as the "Detroit of the South", because of the varied engineering goods manufactured here.

Last but not least is the textile industry, which has brought Coimbatore to international levels. Handlooms have opened up a big export market. [FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

Situated at the foot hills of Nilgiris, it is known for its pleasant climate, peaceful atmosphere,cosmopolitan outlook, hardworking and dedicated workforce and private enterprise.

The water from Siruvani known for its sweetness and potable will quench every citizens.
    [/FONT]
    Coimbatore Owes millions of thanks to legendry GDNaidu, The Pioneer for industrial revolutions.

We at Coimbatore, like many industrialzed centres of India ( Chennai, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, Kolkatta, Baddi, Bangalore, Mysore, Nagpur, Ankeleswar, Vadodara, Jamnagar, Surendranagar, Rajkot, Silvassa, and many more developing areas in our country Mother India ) produce many components and machinery for almost all Industries requirements.

You would have noticed some of our Coimbatore Products well known throughout the country and abroad..

( [FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cotton textiles, electric motors, pumps, automobile spares, iron steel and aluminium castings, Defence components form major exports from Coimbatore )[/FONT]

( Lakshmi Machine Works,Texmo, PSG Group of Industries, CRI Pumps, Suguna, Sharp, Lakshmi Automatic Looms, Lakshmi Precission Tools, Lakshmi Card Clothing, Lakshmi Electrical Controls & Drives, Elgi Equipments, Roots Industries, VR Foundary, SriRanga steels, Serval, UMS Radiators, Ram Precission Tools, Gem Precission Products, KAC Equipments Company, Vetal, Indo Shell, MEC industries, Titan Paints, Mehala Industries, Premier Mills, PreCot, Premier Electronics Pvt.Ltd., Shanti Gears, KG group of Industries, Aqua sub Engineering, Texmo Precission castings, Vel electronics, SSFasteners Private Limited, Vetri engineers, SABOL, ARC, Sakthi Group of Industries, Aircon, Janatics, GanGotri Textiles Group, Prical instruments,Revathi CP,Shiva distillaries,Pioneer & Sugnuna Poultry Kirtilal Group of Companies for its Diamonds Exports from Diamoxan and many more Medium, tiny and cottage industries )

Coimbatore is also known for its Educational Institutions excellence.

We have the oldest TAMILNADU AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY known for its Agro, Horticultural and Research facilities and has produced many stalwards and professional scientists.

Bharathiar University, AvinashiLingam University, Karunya University, Amirta University..

There are nearly 73 Arts & science collages, 22 Engineering Collages, 2 Medical Collages, 2 Homeopathy Medical Collages, 1 Dental Collage, 1 Siddha Medical, 1 Ayurveda Medical, 15 Para Medical Institutions, 16 Polytechnics, 27 Training centres for trade skills and 86 Schools.

Health care facilities are excellent at coimbatore and it has been acknowledged as Medical Tourism by many patients all over the Globe.

Textile Machinery and Spares caters customers allover the Globe.

We also have the finest Textile Research Lab which teaches many technicians all over the Globe. ( South India Textile Research Association )

Coimbatore is also known for its Sugarcane Institute of Research for its innovotive and hi-brid plants.

The Unique AirForce Adminstrative Collage for the Airforce Officers,
    INS AGRANI base trains cadet soldiers of NAVY,
    Territorial Army Campus which trains Gunners.

Forest Collage is an another oldest institution which caters Forest Education to all students from many countries.

Those Sweet Lovers will never forget " Mysore Pa " of Sri Krishna Sweets for its taste and softness..

Krishna Sweets has branches throught the Metro cities and abroad.

Rest in Next ...

Subbu

2. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Subbutr sir,

Excellent detials of a great city in Tamil Nadu. I am surprised that you have not mentioned about the G.K. Naidu memorial Cancer Hospital at Pappanaickanpalayam. I think this was the first cancer centre outside Chennai (Cancer Institute, Adayar). Now we have many centres in Trichy, Madurai, Vellore etc.

My memories of Coimbatore brings to me, the long family masala dosa at Saravana Bhavan. I was told this dosa which can be eaten simultaneously by all the family members originated in Coimbatore.

I have also studied in my geography lessons that the cool wind blowing through the Palakad pass in the eastern ghats is responsible for the flourishing of textile industries in Coimbatore.

May the city and its people flourish further and carve a niche for themselves in global market as well.

Regards,

TDU

3. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

My dear TDU sir,

Thanks for the observations and your experiances in Coimbatore.

Details about Health facilities will be covered in other parts after the Industrial section being furnished.

The Long Masala Dosa was famous in Hotel Annapurna and Saravana Bhavan does not have any branches in Coimbatore except in Chennai, Delhi, Dubai.

G.Kuppusamy Naidu Hospital in my life couldnot be forgotten as I was the first child born in that hospital and operated on the 6th day of my birth for an apses in my back.
    Dr.Jalajam was the saviour, my mother used to say even now...I was laid compleatly for about 1 month to sleep with my front and not allowed to rest on my back. Glaxo those days big jar was my cup of energy, my mother used to say even now.

( G.Kuppuswamy Naidu Hospital where my father struggled for his life in his last days and on Maha Shivrathri he expired at the hospital. )

This hospital is run by the Lakshmi Mills Group and now modernised with all facilities and known for its best medical services at an affordable cost.

Thanks once again for reviving the old memories of GKNM hospital.

Subbu

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Subbu sir,
    First of all my sincere thanks for bringing in details about Coimbatore @ Kovai. I have not lived there. But have been in Erode when I was a kid and even after marriage. But I had always wanted to live in coimbatore and envy those who live there. I am so crazy about that place because of the climate.

Oh great! so you were the first baby born in that hospital!!!!
    Though you have mixed memories about that hospital, pls relive only all those happiest ones.

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Subbu sir
    Thanks for all the info.It bought back some nostalgic memories of my days in Coimbatore.Staying in Tatabad,roaming in R.S.Puram having masala dosai with hot sambar in Annapurana ,having hot veg puffs in Iyengars bakery.,walking down race course roads with my friends,watching Asian games at the huge screen in Avanashi road,visting Ramar temple in Ramnagar,buying clothes at Mahaveers,buying vegetables at Gandhipuram,having tiffin at Alankar,watching movies at KG complex,studying at Mani high school ......the memories of 20 year stay is endless.Thanks for rekindling them...............

6. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Yes dear kanaka raghavan,

Those days of venturing out in RSPuram, Ramnagar, Gandhipuram and the wonderful memories of Hotel Alangar, Annapoorna - Gowri shankar of yours being revived through this articles and present day changes are to find those landmarks with so much developments.
    Ramnagar , RSPuram, Tatabad are all now mushrooming with Multi shopping complex, Apartments and few good hotels a place to see again.

Subbu

7. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you dear Rajmiarun for the kind gestures and to know that you were in Erode.

Yes the climate in Coimbatore is beautiful and known as poor man's ooty.

subbu

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

subbusir,

Your detailed intro into coimbatore brings back lot of memories...had lot of friends studying with me in college....from the offsprings of great industrialist ...would love to meet them all back...

9. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Vanakkam,
    Reading posts about Coimbatore made me happy.

My husband and myself often travel to that place. It is actually a link for
    us while going to Thabovanam, established by Gnanaguru Venugopala Swamigal,
    and is located in Punjai Puliampatti(Erode Dist), some 60 km from the city
    Our marriage was held there.

The crowded Gandhipuram area, with all its omni-bus offices and hotels, is a
    familiar place for us. Yes, the very thought of sambar-vadai of Hotel Annapurna Gowrishankar,makes our mouth water.

The tamil spoken by the local people there is unmatched
    The climate, as mentioned by u all, is super.

I would request those ILites, going to Kovai to pay a visit to Thabovanam once.

Regards,

10. fackierk

fackierk New IL'ite

Hi Saraswathy,

Please give me some more details about ganaguru venugopala swamigal and his thapovanam. I am big search of some spiritual thoughts.

Regards,
    Fm.Badusha