Know all about China

Discussion in 'Indians in China' started by abalakri, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Krithika and everybody...

as i told you i will post some more information regarding schooling for the foreigner children. Yesterday, i talk to one of my friend residing near Sanghai, her daughter is in second grade studying in international school. Teachers are good, all from english speaking countries, but the main thing i asked about the fee, i was totally surprised to know that for kindergarten kid fee is nearly twenty thousand USD. I don't know about US, but i feel this is too much. Anyone if knows about US fee let me know. I will keep posting if i get any information.

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Padma,

The amount you've quoted is astronomical !!

I send both my kids to public school here and the fees is $0 ! We need to buy the school supplies ( like pens,notebooks,papers.binders and backpack etc) Other than that, it is optional to pay for the fund raisers and donation.

For Middle schools (6th-8th) they charge fees for laptop, science lab, gym uniform ...that is all ...it all amounts to less than $100. No idea about high school since my first son is still in 7th grade.

Public schools have good standards ( as far as I've seen in the west coast and east coast) . We've usually moved into neigborhoods that have very good school districts.

As far as I know, private schools charge an average amount of $1000 per month for each child.

Mostly, I've seen Indian families sending kids to public school from kinder garten till 12th grade.The kids are enrolled in KG from 5 years. Before they need to be admitted to preschools.

Of course, we need to pay for preschools/playschools/daycare (again the fees differ for community run preschools and private ones)

Cheers
    Krithika

3. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Krithika....

thanks for telling about US. I got to know these figures from one of our indian friend whose daughter is studying, i was shocked to know this.....its really something huge amount. I think one reason may be china don't have many international schools, if they have then they have very limited number of students. International schools appoint teachers from native english speaking countries. This may be one of the reasons for such a high fee. US is already an english speaking country so they hardly need to call teachers from other countries. International schools in china are totally depending on america or europe continent to get teachers for their schools.

4. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

Wow! i'm learning more about China in this thread than anywhere else. thanks to all who have provided very interesting facts about China.
    lalitha

5. okcoolgal

okcoolgal New IL'ite

hi Jithiks

refer to ur question abt Chinese national dress, there is no Chinese national dress in China, bcoz there r many different ethnic groups in China, such as Korea, Mongol, Tibeten, Manchu and so on, and each of them has own traditional dress. What Padma metioned b4, the dress so called "qi pao" is exactly the same as what Vidya metioned "Cheong sam", "qi pao" is 4 women n "Cheong sam" is 4 men:). Both of them r not Chinese national dress, they r Machu traditional dress( one of the Chinese minorities in China). The main ethnic group in China is Han Chinese, and they make up 90% of the total population, they have got their own traditional dress called "Han fu (u can check it out online)", some of them wear it during Chinese traditional festvals, but majority of the ppl wear western style clothing, only few ppl keep their traditions nowadays. Some ppl did suggest government using "Han fu" to be their national dress and use it as dress in Beijing Olympic last year, but it was rejected bcoz "Han fu can not represent all ethnic groups in China." Moreover, I wana correct one thing, is that ppl in mainland do share the same culture with ppl in HK, but HK ppl has more western elements mixed in the culture due to the colony time with Britain, but deep inside of their culture they have got same Han Chinese culture. I know many Chinese so I think I can answer some of ur deep questions. There r many different cultures in China, each ethnic groups has got their own unique culture, some of them have got own language, writting, dress and so on. If you wana travel to China, I think Tibet and Yun nan provice would b the best place 4 u, coz it has got many rich cultures and nice views. In majority, what u have seen, the Chinese culture and veiws is only from Han Chinese culture, such as Great Wall, Forbidden city and others, but in the places I mentioned above u can see other cultures, which is nice!!

enjoy urself!

6. okcoolgal

okcoolgal New IL'ite

For school issues, What I know is local ppl do not pay 4 their tution fees until grade 9, but they have to pay 4 their school uniform and books. Schools r massive and nice in urban area with better facilities. There r only a few international shcools in some majoy cities, but it is extremely expensive. Ppl told me that the tuition fees of universities and colleges is a bit expensive 4 Chinese local students as well, some ppl from rural area can not afford it, but they v got student loans and scorlership, but scorlership can only help some of them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  7. xushuang

xushuang New IL'ite

hi,
    This is XuShuang in Beijing, I'm Chinese. I 'm very much interested in India, today I search some information in google, and found this net site by chance. I think the comments about China is very objective. If you have other questions about China, I like to answer.

a friendly Chinese

8. hemaggar

hemaggar New IL'ite

Hello Mr. Balakrishnan:

We are visiting China this fall for about 25 days and traveling throughout China. We will be in Chongqing only one day, this October 9th. We will be staying at JW Marriott and wondering any possibility to meet? I am from Gujarat and my husband is from Punjab. We have been living in the U.S. for nearly 40 years. Here, Ford is doing ok but Chrysler and GM are in terrible shape.

9. LemonLime

LemonLime Senior IL'ite

It seems like there is quite a healthy interest about China with everyone here!

I have many Chinese friends from China, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and Hong Kong (which I know is a part of China but they feel like they have a separate identity apart from China) so I hope I can contribute as well.

About Food

Many Chinese are pure vegetarian but most are non-vegetarian.
    The best way is to go to an 'only vegetarian' restaurant which sadly, isn't very widespread because there is a lack of vegetarian demographic.

Yes, many Chinese in certain areas eat dogs. In the rural areas they might also eat some insects but this stemmed from a culture of impoverished living during bad times by peasants thousands of years ago due to droughts.

I try not to see it as 'good' or 'bad' as it is merely a cultural thing.
    Just like how in native India we have people in rural areas eating rats. We might find it disgusting but for some people it stems from a necessity from the past which has been ingrained into a cultural thing.

About Religion

I noticed there seems to be the general consensus that 'Chinese people have no religion'.

Fact is it couldn't be further from the truth.

Chinese people follow Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Ancestor worship.

However, because China's official stance on religion is the communist stance of atheism.
    Hence overt displays of religion is heavily discouraged.

Taoism follows many Gods like Hinduism with their own mythical and historical aspects and most Chinese follow this.
    Like Hindus they have altars with their favourite or particular Gods whom they offer offerings daily and follow rituals.

Chinese people are very pragmatic and religion is important but a very personal thing which is not flaunted.
    The communist government also tightly controls religion hence you do not see much religious riots (except the recent foreign motivated Ughur Muslim riots) because religious fervour is discouraged to be a public or political event.

About Family

I noticed too that many seem to have decided that Chinese children throw their parents out.

This is erroneous.

While westernisation and modernisation has made it difficult for those living in the major cities to follow the Asian extended family living concept, most Chinese still live in extended family concept (don't forget China is massive and has billions of people living outside cities in towns and rural areas) and filial piety is heavily ingrained to children.

Most children in urban cities also send money to their parents if they are not able to afford large homes/apartments to keep an extended family.

Parents also encourage children to not be too dependent on them as I mentioned above Chinese are very pragmatic people and many understand that they will not live forever, hence they encourage their children to be independent.
    However, the family ties are still there.

Like many countries there will be pockets of children who are selfish or greedy and do not want to look after their parents even after all the sacrifice.
    However instead of seeing it in a negative light we should remember that the press has highlighted this hence if it were so widespread it would not have even been highlighted as a problem since it is a 'norm'.
    I think it is good that such problems are highlighted so these children can be shamed and society and parents can find the root cause of such situations and solve it than shove it under the carpet.

Many parents also enjoy living a free and independent life knowing that their children can take care of themselves and living independently to enjoy their years as an old married couple visiting all their children anytime they want.

I have seen children move back with their parents or vice versa should any problems arise between work or anything else to help out the situation.

It is better than forcing a couple to live with their parents because of societal norms and causing friction between both (i.e. forcing daughter in law to live with potentially abusive mother-in-law or vice versa which is common in our culture), they have the ability to choose an arrangement which suits them.

About Chinese Medicine

Actually, many aspects of Chinese medicine has been scientifically proven (not all) and many theraputic doctors and holistic therapists use Chinese medicine and Chinese therapies (Acupuncture, etc) to solve or heal patients without using drugs and medication which may be bad for patients.

I have actually had a chronic back problem which lasted for 2 years. Went to a chiropractor, to a doctor, pills, medication, massage, nothing worked.

Last resort I was introduced to an acupuncturist by a Chinese friend of mine and went for about 10 sessions of theraputic acupuncture to target the 'pressure points' causing my back pain.
    Needless to say it worked and I've never felt such back pains since 4 years. :thumbsup

10. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

hi friends,no its not really difficult to live in china as many indian restaurents r here.indian people who live here cook at home and all vegetables r easily available except some methi ,guar beans but these r now available with indian stores but they r expensive and sometimes goods r not available for 15-20 days.but not difficult to live here,i m also pure veg living here for 3 yrs.