1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Knock, Knock, Who's There?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 7, 2014.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I love being around young folks. There is so much life around them. I have spent all my life surrounded by people years older than me. The occasional not so old persons around me seem to be mentally more aged or to be kind, a lot more mature than me! What am I to do? The young folks feel the same way about me as I feel about the people I just mentioned. They see me as half way to being a dinosaur! :cry: They don't notice the heart and brain inside which is still stuck at a few decades ago.

Which makes me wonder! Why is it that I hardly feel very different in my mind than I did say when I was in my teens or twenties? Is it that mentally I have not grown up or is it that I too was old mentally when I was younger? Whichever way it be, there is that sense of continuity in those components of me, while I keep getting ruthlessly mauled by the body which is never in sync with the mind and heart!

Or is something else at work here? Is this the immortal part of me which feels like it has always been the same? There are times of gloom when I wish I could vaporize but then feel that I can never get away as I will never die. I feel hopelessly immortal at such times. Leave alone the emotions associated with the feeling, what was that again? I am immortal? I shall never die? What about this body? Is this that part of me which is not my body alone speaking? Is this that entity which is eternal - the soul - which is never born and never dies that is being experienced?

I don't know if anybody has felt this way at any point in time or whether I am just losing it. Have you felt you have always been there? Are there some vague memories - more in the form of feelings - that you can't make sense of, because it does not belong to an experience formed anytime during this life time?

How do I describe that warm glow of happiness and general satisfaction I feel sometimes for no particular reason at all? Is this the real "I"? It is so wonderful to be in the presence of this person than the groaning, moaning, grouchy, dissatisfied, unhappy, angry person who only makes me want to run away and with whom I find it so hard to live.

Why am I asking so many questions? Why don't I just learn to accept things as they are and get on with the task of existence? Oh well, no better reason to give than that "curiosity kills the cat". A physical extinction is better than dying of curiosity every minute.
    [​IMG]

Knock, knock, who's there?
    Cat
    Cat who?
    Curiosity will kill you!​

10 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear I have not read your post yet but since you have asked a question thought let me first answer your question.:hiya I am here dear Satchi as always first :).A thoughtful post as always and I willcome back later with my fb. Only want to mention that I also like to be with younger people and usually I have more of younger friends than older ones. This must be because I am always youngatheart

3 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi
    I guess that the target audience for this Snippet of yours is probably half my age or even less. The question, therefore, arises if I need to respond to it or not. I am sure that my dear sister Viji is facing a similar dilemma! You have raised some 16 questions in this snippet, not including the title! And I have no answer even for a single question. Someone more enterprising like Viswa may perhaps take a shot at this!

Your problem appears to arise out of the existence of bad blood between your body and soul. If that is so, then you are with the majority of the world population. Why are you worried that the skin of the mango does not reflect the quality of the fruit inside? As long as it is mango beneath the skin and not papaya, be happy and carry on with your life!

After reading this Snippet, I rushed to Forum Etiquette to see if there is any restriction on the number of questions that can be raised in an OP. Fortunately for you, the Management of IL have not applied their mind to this issue! A good one Satchi as only you can write, to borrow a phrase from Kamalji!
    Sri

7 people like this.
  4. shree29

shree29 Silver IL'ite

hello satchi... only thing i can just say after reading this snippet of yours is that as people age physically ,their mind tend to go in opposite direction they'll be more like a youth with more knowledge.. its not that they cannot be like youth its the way they impose restrictions both mentally and physically.. without those restrictions everyone will be a child/youth. its upto us how we keep it alive..

2 people like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sats!
    The next time you hear a knock do open the door for:
    "Knock, knock.
    Who's there!
    It's me, starting a club called "forever-30""
    It will be I outside your door.

I too many time can't seem to understand why I don't feel a day over 20 or 30. I still love to listen to fast foot-tapping music, love to get up and gyrate for a peppy number, love food, enjoy the beauty of the sunshine, sunset, the stars, I still love romantic films,I love dolls, I like to wander in the toy aisles, and still read Enid Blyton's mystery series some days.

Can't understand why folks think I am not young just because a couple of hairs have fashionably turned grey.

So when shall we inaugurate our club?

6 people like this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Wow, the great Sri has quioted me, and he was not wrong. Yes why u feel young even now, or why u have not changed mentally, and the other 14 questiosn, well , i will have to drink buffaloes milk to answer that. HAHA

Well same is the case with me, a senior citizen, thinking like a teen, eyeing girls his granddaughtrers age, even i want answers , why do i think and feel young, when the world does not consider it such.

HAHA.Superb one, as sri says and i agree, as only u can write.

Regrds

kamal

3 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

You have humour embedded in you!

If we have the choice of living with real "I" to grumpy people around us I would opt to live with grumpy ones rather than unknown, mysterious "I". Unknown scares me! Better to be with known (though they are not angels, I am also not an angel).
    Just enjoy the world that we live in. It is not bad after all.
    Immortality is also scary (soul is for ever, it has not death, it is immortal). To me life is between birth and death (physical death)
    A good one Satchi. Thank you.

Syamala

3 people like this.
  8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi

Good one, isn't it good that even though we grow old our mind is still young so that we leave a bit longer....:)
    I would prefer to join the forever 30 club with Kamala:biggrin2: and feel young always then becoming a grumpy old lady:) where no one wants you around.....hehe

5 people like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Do you notice something Satchi? Almost all of us who are older (in age only) seem to feel young at heart. But it is the younger ones who feel we belong to the dinosaur age. Let me explain...happy to be in home town, happier to see a McDonald, wanting to treat my young kids (It is a treat because we don't go to McD here for we have zero veg options), I walk in happily and as I stare at the menu in utter amazement, a college lad walks up to me and says "auntie, can I get that from where you are standing!" I was livid to say the least and my kids who are not used me being called auntie by anyone other than other kids burst out into laughter, little did that guy realize he looked like an uncle to them ;-) especially my DD. And all I could was mutter under my breath, wait till you get to my age and I am not even that old!

Let me leave aside all the philosophical questions you have raised and you know we are bombarded with knock knock jokes at home, so let me share one of DD's favorite one and help you stay in that constant state of laughter and bliss!

Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Banana.
    Banana who?
    Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Banana.
    Banana who?
    Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Banana.
    Banana who?
    Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Orange.
    Orange who?
    Orange you glad I didn't say "banana"?

PS: ONly imagine this joke with a few more times of Banana ....... and then orange steps in! Yes you got it right I am the one going who's there with DD answering.....

4 people like this.
  10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello hello, its me on the other side of your door...your soul sista!!friendssmiley

"Why is it that I hardly feel very different in my mind than I did say when I was in my teens or twenties? Is it that mentally I have not grown up or is it that I too was old mentally when I was younger? Whichever way it be, there is that sense of continuity in those components of me, while I keep getting ruthlessly mauled by the body which is never in sync with the mind and heart!" ......Now now, when did you take a peep inside My soul for it is exactly the same thoughts I have buried in there!! If you did not rob my thoughts and they are all your's, that does make us twins you see!!

Besides, looks like there are quite a few of like minded youngsters at heart here and what a good idea that Kamala will start the club for us! It will be one rocking club, I can bet on that!

Lovely introspection Satchi. Your pensive thoughts about eternal soul is truly contemplation worthy! I am sure Viswa will have few answers for your questions like Cheeniya sir has rightly pointed out. As for me, I am not too hassled to know all that. Suffices to know that I can vibe well with young at hearts! I shall rock with Kamala and Kamalji...Ha, maybe the similarity in names is not that co-incidental after all...ideasmiley Though younger, I am thinking of letting Saby join us before she goes totally bananas......?!!!

L, Kamla

And how can I forget...Congratulations are in order for Vijima has nominated this to FP!!

4 people like this.