Kitchen tips for newly married and settled abroad

Discussion in 'Krishnaammas Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, Dec 13, 2006.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Tamil,

I told you 'cut veg.' , not full one. You cannot keep them as it is. You have to wash and cut. Put them in a cover and then keep them in the freezer.

Bell pepper you can keep them by cutting them just like that for sambar. Or if you want them to ues for noodles or raitha then make small slices. To make slices easily just use 'chips maker' . Use the grater which we use to make potato chips, so you will get thin slices of capcicum. OK? then store it.

For carrots, peel the skin (otherwise they will become black), grate them and keep for raitha and noodles. Just keep them as it is for sambar and kuttu. While preparing kuttu, remove from the cover, cook it with out water. That is when you cook rice int he cooker, you will place a llid on that . is it not? keep this carrots on that and when you open the cooker, you can remove the carrots and cut them easily. Or you can smash and give for children. ok?

REgarding Lemon, You have to squeeze the lemon and remove the seeds. dont add water. Just pour the juice inthe ice cube tray or in a small container and keep inside the freezer.

I think this is ok for you now?

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Krishnaamma for your quick response.

:thankyou2:

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Thanks a million to Krishnaamma for her wonderful tips. I have come across this forum at the right time. With due respects and thanks to Krishnaamma, I was making a pdf file for me to read all the tips at home. Thought would share it with you all.

Attached Files:

4. krishnaamma

Dear Pavitra,

Thank you so much for your effort. Yes I mean it. Thanks a lot. It will be very useful to others too. No doubt about it.:spin

5. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

Dear Krishamma,
    would like it if you included it, i dont mind.
    i was to start a thread reg the managing of house , baby, and work, by my baby was getting restless so decided to postpone it.

6. krishnaamma

Cooking Safely in the Microwave Oven

Microwave ovens can play an important role at mealtime, but special care must be taken when cooking. Microwave ovens can cook unevenly and leave "cold spots," where harmful bacteria can survive. For this reason, it is important to use the following safe micro waving tips to prevent food borne illness.

Stir or rotate food midway through the micro waving time to eliminate cold spots where harmful bacteria can survive, and for more even cooking.
    Always allow standing time, which completes the cooking.

Arrange food items evenly in a covered dish and add some liquid if needed. Cover the dish with a lid or plastic wrap; loosen or vent the lid or wrap to let steam escape. The moist heat that is created will help destroy harmful bacteria and ensure uniform cooking. Cooking bags also provide safe, even cooking.

When partially cooking food in the microwave and rest in the grill or in a conventional oven, it is important to transfer the microwaved food to the other heat source immediately. Never store partially cook food for later use.

Remove food from packaging before defrosting. Do not use foam trays and plastic wraps because they are not heat stable at high temperatures. Melting or warping may cause harmful chemicals to migrate into food.

Cover foods with a lid or a microwave-safe plastic wrap to hold in moisture and provide safe, even heating.

Heat ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and leftovers until steaming hot.

After reheating foods in the microwave oven, allow standing time.

Only use cookware that is specially manufactured for use in the microwave oven. Glass, ceramic containers, and all plastics should be labeled for microwave oven use.

Plastic storage containers such as margarine tubs, take-out containers, whipped topping bowls, and other one-time use containers should not be used in microwave ovens. These containers can warp or melt, possibly causing harmful chemicals to migrate into the food.

Microwave plastic wraps, wax paper, cooking bags, parchment paper, and white microwave-safe paper towels should be safe to use. Do not let plastic wrap touch foods during micro waving.

Never use thin plastic storage bags, brown paper or plastic grocery bags, newspapers, or aluminum foil in the microwave oven.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  7. jayasree05

jayasree05 Senior IL'ite

hi krishnamma
    i am jayasree from riyadh, your tips were really useful for me , i want to know, where we can get these zipper bags, i went around the malls and i could not find it.
    the second question,is
    when i keep rice in the electric cooker, it is sticking in the bottom, any tip for that.
    do we get paneer in saudi arabia, what is it called as there are so many cheese varieties, i want to know which one is paneer in that.
    bye
    jayasree

8. mslakshmi

mslakshmi Senior IL'ite

Re: Fruits and Veg. - Planning

Namaste Krishnamma

Its nice I happened to see this thread. Its v much interesting and also v v v useful for all the ladies. From now on I wil keep watching this thread.

M S Lakshmi:idea

9. mslakshmi

mslakshmi Senior IL'ite

Re: Cooking Safely in the Microwave Oven

Hi Krishnamma
    Namaste

Thankks for the Microwave cookig tips. They r really v v useful.

M S Lakshmi
    :coffee

10. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Hi Krishnamma,

Thanks a lot for tips. I feel it is not only for newly weds, for everybody. Really helpful.

Thank you again.

Veen