1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen SAFETY: Do you keep gas cylinder in kitchen?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Aashi91, Jul 9, 2011.

1. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

One query: currenly we are keeping both the cylinders in the kitchen and after seeing this thread, i am planning to move one outside into the balcony.
    Both of our balconies get direct sunlight and i am not sure whether it is advised to keep the cylinders in direct sunlight. Please suggest.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi AAshi,
    Thanks for the info and starting this thread...
    Why dont you contact your friends brother who is safety engineer about what to do incase of kitchens like yours...I have nominated this post for Aug Finest Post...

Orion one should not keep cylinders where there is chance of Sunlight...

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi cylinder should not be kept in direct sunlight or rains too.

to continue with the measures, always ensure the surface your cylinder is kept on is flat. and if you suspect leak or smell, switch of the lights and electrical equipments, open the door, windows and check the cylinder.

Actual LPG guidelines forbids us to keep the cylinder underneath the stove..but most flats and houses has a cylinder housing under the counter that holds the stove including mine. sometimes, it is not possible to follow all the rules and regulations given by the lpg or ioc. but let us make it a conscious effort to atleast follow what can be done by all of us.

switching of the regulators when the stove is not in use, especially with small kids who like to experiment with teh stove knobs. keeping the burners clean, and removing any spills immediately. if there is any difference in the flame, clean the stove properly or giving it for a service.

1 person likes this.
  4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Shan,
    IF A GAS LEAK IS SUSPECTED, THE ELECTRICAL SWITCHES SHOULD NOT BE OPERATED AT ALL. SWITCHING OFF ALSO CASES SPARK. SO LEAVE EVERY THING AS T IS AND OPEN THE WINDOWS AND DOORS AFTER CLOSING THE REGULTOR. CALL THE EMERGENCY PEOPLE AND THEN AFTER THEIR INSPECTION SWITCH OFF THE ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Varloo,

you can switch off the mains, is what even ioc recommends. not to operate electrical appliances..and yes it is risky if there is a chance of a spark from the switches..

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    this is a real eye opener. I am keeping not one not 2 but three cylinders in my kitchen. My husband works in the refinery in the manufacturing section. I do not close the regulator in the night every day, only when I go out of town, I close the regulator. All wrong, isn't it? This is how we are, careless till we get a major accident. I must keep my extra cylinders in the service verandah hereafter.
    I feel that there is no need to get scared so much about this. There is always an exception and accidents do occur. The point is that we should be careful at all times, never let our guard down even once.
    When my son was a kid, I never allowed him into the kitchen, he will get a small slap if at all he comes into the kitchen. No play in the kitchen.
    Preparing vegetables and keeping all things nearby before starting cooking will definitely help in avoideing accidents. Never leave the stove burning and unattended. Also avoid going out of kitchen for long periods while the stove is on.
    I heard another such warning- never use mosquito repellent/cockroach spray etc. near the stove when the stove is burning. This has also caused the cylinder to blow.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes varloo, how did i forget that important thing..no aerosol or spray cans that have high pressure and are too risky near the stove. yes they are highly inflammable.

if you have the facility to move it then better to do it is my opinion.

checking the valve and the ring inside the cylinder is most important, as i have heard a few minor accidents because of that. it does not take more than a few minutes to check the cylinder by the delivery boys, after all none of them delivers without taking some extra money from us..

8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

I have two cylinders in kitchen in a covered cabinet with holes pierced. Being an independent house my kitchen is big and have good ventilation. later when we did some renovation, the engineer told an important thing that LPG is a heavy gas and when it leaks it will come down. So to detect the leak thare is no point having holes at the center or top of door. There should be enough space at the bottom so that we can immediately realize the gas leak. So we removed and cut the door at the bottom leaving 2 inch gap from the floor.

Thought this point might be of some help who have small kitchens and who move cylinders outside.

Regards
    Manjukps

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aashi,

This post was nominated to FP of the month of August by VJBunny. However, we somehow missed it and did not acknowledge. Sorry for this. This post has now been included in the September month's nominations for Finest Posts. Please note.

You have brought a very important aspect of the household to the notice of members. We should be well informed about the precautions and care that has to be taken concerning the gas cylinders. Shanvy, Varloo and others have added to the initial post of your's with their valuable inputs. A very useful thread indeed. Congratulations!

L, Kamla