1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen SAFETY: Do you keep gas cylinder in kitchen?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Aashi91, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Aashi91

Aashi91 New IL'ite

I visited my cousin's house. Her brother works as a safety officer. When I went into the kitchen I couldn’t find LPG gas cylinder inside. She told me her brother has installed cylinder outside the kitchen on the rooftop. We saw the setup that evening and I really appreciate it. Her brother says that in majority of accidents, LPG cylinder doesn’t explode rather gas leaks from regulator or safety valve incase of extreme pressure (you know how hot it is these days) cause LPG gas to release. And if the stove is in use, it would start an accident by engulfing the kitchen in flames. So if we keep cylinder outside, even if LPG leaks or safety valve release gas, dangerous LPG would disperse in open air.

I’m already worried about cylinder safety as you know gas related fires are increasing. So I decided to discuss it here to know your views and ideas.

Talking about myself, unfortunately our apartment is too small and we don’t have space to make such safer setup for cooking gas what I saw there. So I have to keep gas cylinder inside kitchen! My sister do rest of the kitchen work while I have to make Chapatis for dinner and I call it my worst nightmare because one thing; kitchen is too hot these days and my biggest fear I’m standing near a “fire bomb” which can roast me alive anytime if something goes wrong :cry:

[=> It's helpful to post the picture of your kitchen/where you keep gas cylinder]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    Arunarc likes this.

2. Aashi91

Aashi91 New IL'ite

Here I would like to share a sad story; it happened a year ago, my friend’s younger sister badly burnt in an accident. Her name is Pari and she was 15 years old. She was boiling milk when cylinder emptied and she replaced it by full one. It was very hot day of June (I think end of June), kitchen became too hot and safety valve released some gas with loud sound (or it could be the result of faulty regulator). Leaking gas engulfed the kitchen in the matter of seconds and poor girl ran out of kitchen with her clothes on fire, screaming in agony. Her uncle (ex-policeman) acted very fast and he managed to put out the flames on time. But still she got burns on 70% + of her body because fire spread very quickly. She got 2nd degree burns on face, abdomen, back, upper arms and legs; and some 2nd and 3rd degree burns on her hands and breast. Thank God she didn’t get 3rd degree burns, especially on her face and neck. Her uncle (the hero), sister (my friend) and her brother also sustained moderate burns in fire & their home partially destroyed. My friend got minor burns on her legs and hands. One week later, we’re allowed to see Pari and I shocked to see her in such miserable condition. She recovered after 7 months hospitalization but had to gone through 3 surgeries to cover skin damage; 2 on her left breast and one on left arm. She got well after 9 months but it left some burn scars on her left hand and both arms.
    She was a very cute, sensitive and rather shy girl, but that accident has really changed her life. Now she avoids meeting with friends and relatives and not taking interest in study and painting. Her grandpa is planning to take her to a rehabilitation center for trauma victims in UK. There she would get further skin grafts and psychotherapy as well.

A single mistake in kitchen can be fatal, so be careful!

savz likes this.
  3. shameel

shameel Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing very informative article with us, may god bless you for spreading such awareness among us.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

With the rise in apartments it is not so easy to look at these kind of safety measures..the common practical solutions that we can practise..

1. change the rubber valve if you see bends.
    2. if you feel the flame is not even, service your stove.
    3. always ensure to get your cylinder checked for leakage when delivered..(it has to be done. though lot of us do not want them to do it, and they do not do it because of their laziness.
    4. in case of smells. first switch of the gas. remove the regulator, and close the cylinder with its own cap. Though it is computerised booking, you are entitled to call your agency in case of emergency.
    5. always ensure that there is a ventilation like a window, door opened to ensure air circulation.
    6. never keep two full cylinders together..(this i do see in many places.)
    7. always ensure there is a few feet distance between your fridge and stove/cylinder.
    8. do look at having a fire extinguisher if possible..Actually i am looking at one right now..it has been in my list for sometime.
    will come back with more if i remember.

5. poornimaln

poornimaln New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am so glad this topic was brought up coz in our old home, we didn't have an option of keeping the cylinder outside. But now, even though it looks odd, I feel safe whenever I have the kid in the kitchen while I cook. Keeping the cylinders inside our modular furniture is also dangerous coz u never know when the gas leaks ... Personally, I think the cylinder should be kept as far away and out as possible.

madras2018 likes this.
  6. Aashi91

Aashi91 New IL'ite

Nice tips Shanvy Ji!

OMG! we have 2 full cylinders inside kitchen :-( It's very small kitchen with poor ventilation. If you stay there for 10 mins, you'll be drenched in sweat!!! it becomes too hot in summer!

We've just got a fire extinguisher and I'll talk to my sister to improve the things as much as possible.

7. pink.white

pink.white New IL'ite

Hi all I am very thankful for your information but i always keep the full cylinder in the bedroom as it looks awkward in the kitchen as its moderate in size then in case of the one which we are using i see to it when i insert the regulator in the new cyclender i check thrice atleast whether i have inserted it properly or not.

One & the last thing is while u buy the new filled one just open the cap & pour little water inside the hole & see whether it gets bubbles or not if u get bubbles please return back immediately so after checking it u pay the bill. This is one of the golden routine which my mominlaw does. So today i realise many of her small small things are very very important....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Shanthi,
    You can get fire extinguishers in car accessories shops or you can order it online in ebay. Mine is from ebay.

9. deeparani2

deeparani2 Silver IL'ite

I too feel that it would be better if we place the cylinder outside the kitchen. But as we are in rental houses, it is not possible for us to do alterations. So we have to follow the safety measures to whichever extent we can.

10. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aashi...
    The info is indeed useful. In fact, most kitchens abroad are designed to keep gas cylinders outside. In India, this is not a normal trend, but am sure many modern buildings will adopt this system only when there is awareness on kitchen safety measures.
    I was in Bahrain and saw this trend. As I travelled to east Africa also, I noted the same. I do hope this forum will continue to contribute to this awareness.