1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Blunders

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Very funny to read all these..Good thread Big B.

Thinking about mine.. sure it would be many. I was the only daughter and granddaughter in our family. So was treated like a :queen.. Been to kitchen to just see whats cooking today ;-)

So that was my knowledge when I left for America Big Laugh

I was so careful in not inviting friends initially before I learn cooking. Even if they drop by, I thought it would be easier to give them drinks - juice, coffee, tea etc.

That day came. Few friends dropped by one day on their way to niagara from NC. They being all americans, thought why not I entertain them with some authentic indian drink. Simple drink, me thought.. -->> Moor :idea(What a bad decision, I would regret later)

Took curd, salt, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies, hing everything in place.

This was my recipe:

Curd - 1 cup
    Water - 6 (6 people :rotfl)
    curry leaves - 6
    Ginger - 3 inches ( for half the count of the people, I said to myself)
    Green chillies - 3 (those long ones you get.. for half the count of the people, I said to myself)
    Salt - 3 spoons.

Put them all in a blender and whoosh it went... Was thinking, wow, nan, you are good.. it was easy...

Imagine how their faces would be after drinking it. Drowning Poor soul, she was red after drinking it...

The thing is, they did not know it was my mistake.. They all thought it was so true what they heard - Indians eat so much spice.. Big Laugh[ Later they would make fun of me, whenever they hear buttermilk..]

There were so many such incidents.. Most of the time, the victims would be me and my poor husband..(it was like self torture..Big Laugh).. and some souls like above at times... it took couple of months for me to be certified as edible cooking person..

Will share my rice and paruppu cooking later.. got to go and cook now ;-)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Super Nandhu... Could imagine their plight !!

Virumthombal ??? Big Laugh

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

nandhu

I was:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl after seeing your recipe. Three chilies for 6 people and 3 inches ginger!! Did they suffer from acid reflux for the rest of their lives?

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Gowri :mrgreen:

Usha... who knew.. but I bet it would have taken some time for them to get back to normal after my Moor Big LaughBig Laugh

I thought " I am a good cook, correctly adding the ingredients and its proportions" ;-) just image if I had added 6 of each.. :rotfl:rotfl

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nandhu,
    Poor you and the 'victims'..luckily you should be proud that your calculation went wrong..:rotfl

I too made such calculation for the amount of jaggery to be used for making 'porul vilangaa urundai'.(the balls without proper understanding..Big Laugh) i don't know how to translate it..that's why..:crazy
    with so much calcuation..the result was powdery..my cousin told me that she knew that the amount of jaggery would be low..and I asked why she didn't tell me, she replied that , as you are used to make this urandai, I thought it would be correct..:spin
    still I couldn't work out of where it went wrong..'porulae vilangalai'( not able to understand)

sriniketan

6. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Bhargavi,

Instead of Urundai.. it was powdery. Take it this way... it was much more easy to eat.

Kadichu sapadha vendam... appadiye sapidalaam !! Correcta ??

Anyways... It was insteresting !!

7. Sriniketan

Gowri,
    that what happens to me if I try to make laddu..but there is always an excuse if it doesn't happen, we can eat it as 'boondhi' which is very easy, isn't it..Big Laugh

sriniketan

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Nandu
    So now we know not to ask for "moor" when we visit?!!!!

Big B.. just like I got lost coming to your place in my latest story.. here I am getting lost coming this active and funny thread .. enjoying all the blunders!

9. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Nandhu,

On visiting you... AC will bring "moor" for all of us (Imagining myself with you ) !!! Correcta AC ?? Big Laugh Big B... will come with boondis and Poruvilangaai Podi !! Big Laugh

We both will serve them with cold water and yummy dishes.. pavam thane illa ?? :crazy

With love

10. Sriniketan

Gowri,
    cold water and yummy dishes., aa..
    you didn't mention about any those dishes, specifically...don't try on us..we are paavam pa.

sriniketan