1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Blunders

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi Sri
    Rava maida & rice flour mixed in equal proportion with finely chopped onions,curry leaves & little ghee salt with water to make a thick dough,the vadas made of this mixture is called Maddur vada.
    bye latha:wave

1 person likes this.
  2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Latha,
    thanks for the recipe. I am sure to try it in the coming days.
    Sriniketan

3. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

to make home made yogurt.

for this u need yogurt and jam(any flavour).
    or u can also use homemade 'tairu'

add some jam to the yogurt and stir well...
    it tastes heavenly.as for me,i love the flavour of apricot jam.moreover,it tastes exactly as u wud buy from the stores....even better sometimes....

idea given:by my mom.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sriniketan

nice one, maya.
    My daughter used to have vanilla flavoured yogurt, with plain yogurt+vanilla essence+sugar.
    sriniketan

5. nandhinikumar

nandhinikumar New IL'ite

I enjoyed reading all the posts and learnt some new recipes.

I too mixed rice flour instead of maida for making polis. But fortunately it came out well and tasted good. I didn't tell this to anybody till now and today i am sharing it with ILs.

:2thumbsup:

2 people like this.
  6. Sriniketan

when making 'deepavali marunthu' i am now using jaggery+light brown sugar. The consistency it gives is good. This is also an accidentaly discovery.
    The other one as pointed out by Nandini, i used to add little bit of chappathi flour to the maida flour for making polis. It came out good but I feel that it had the taste of chappati. From now on i am going to try rice flour, to get good results. Thank you Nandhini for the tip.

Sriniketan

7. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,

here in china we don't get jaggery so i used brown sugar for preparing athirasam one sweet i don't know correct name recipee i got from chitvish thread i followed same steps and got it correct. now being in china where i don't get indian items so many experiments i am doing to satisfy my tastebuds. now i am making podis which we make with kadal i replace it with moong dal with peanuts and sesame its tastes well.

bye
    padma

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I have already posted this experience in another thread (your experience as a new bride). Before marriage we had been to my inlaws place, and as my mother and MIL had to discuss something my MIL asked me to keep idly and switch it off when the sound comes. I did everything right except I forgot to switch on the gas. The sound did not come for a very long time and then it was my MIL who discovered that I have not switched on the stove. Also after marriage when making UPMA I forgot once to add salt and till date whenever I make UPMA my hubby keeps asking whether I have added salt.

But now when it comes to hosting parties I know I can manage even if it is close to 50 guests

1 person likes this.
  9. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

wow!
    that's a good idea as well...
    to use essence....must try it soon...
    there would definitely be a variety of flavours that could be made....

thanks sriniji

regards

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  10. Sriniketan

One of my guests sure to remember that 'cold tea' he had when he came to visit our family, when we were in NY. I prepared the tea decoction in the microwave and added milk and sugar. I thought that the tea will be hot enough for him to drink. Only after serving him i came to know that I added the cold milk from the refrigerator and didn't heat the milk. Imagine how hot:icon_frown: the tea will be. I feel sorry for that guy even today.

sriniketan