1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Blunders

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    If I share a piece of information with you, I am sure you will refuse to believe.
    Last month my grand daughter Manasvini asked for gulab jamun, which I promptly made. It looked lovely & I had not tasted it. Just then my maid came there & asked me " amma, arisi mavu dabba le enna pannineenga?". I was taken aback since i had used riceflour instead of maida, in spite of labelled dabbas & all that ! I was so upset & fely guilty that I had perhaps wasted 200 gms of good khoa !
    Believe me, just that time Manasvini, dropped in & just helped herself with the same, mentioning, that the very look was yummy. She just drooled about the same & repeated " unnai mathiri yarukkume gulab jamun panna theriyathu. It is awesome" etc ! Then I dared taste one piece to test if she was teasing me. The gulab jamun really tasted great & I coud'nt believe myself.
    When I kneaded the flour, I was thinking why the maida was less binding that time. Whoever thought that I was making gulabjamun with rice flour.
    But the wonder of wonders is, the sweet was too good, inspite of rice flour.
    I hope, you all don't start trying with riceflour now ! Perhaps, it was just fluke !!:tongue
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
    3 people like this.
  2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitvish,
    We refuse to accept that. But we believe that it is you because by your 'kaivannam' even the rice flour became maida! for the gulab jamun.

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  3. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    Very happy that I've company.A few months back when I visited my daughter at Chennai,she wanted me to prepare Naan.just like Chitra I used riceflour instead of
    maida wondering all the while why maida is defferent in Chennai.After a few minutes I realised my mistake.We could'nt stop laughing for a long time.
    Ofcourse I did'nt waste it.i mixed finely chopped onions,greenchillies,corriander etc,and made akkiroties out of it.It was so yummuy .No wonder with all the milk,ghee and butter!
    :bangcomp:lathanarasimhan.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Sriniketan,

This is a very good idea. I am sure that almost all of us have a story, if not more, to tell. If the mighty Chithra has made a blunder, who are we then?:))

Kitchen and blunders...I think I can write reams here. I have made many many and more!! But to start off, I have to think of my earliest blunder.

I left India three weeks after my marriage and followed my brand new hubby to England. He was living in his bachelor pad and we were promised a brand new apartment in the building which was still under construction. So, I lived in this room in a building which housed all the bachelor doctors, all male! The only other women were the cleaning ladies who did not take kindly to me! See, they felt like the matrons who mothered these guys and did their rooms and their laundry. Now here was a girl living amidst them and they made it a point to tell me that they were not going to clean our room henceforth nor do the laundry. One even warned me that I should not feed my hubby too much and turn him into a fatso!!! I shook my head shyly and felt even more lost in the strange country. And then I had to cook!
    There was this huge old fashioned kitchen which was shared by all lodgers!! There was an hearth in that kitchen which was very new to me. I had not seen anything like that ever before! There were also a couple of electric stoves. I used the utensils that were there and they were also all quaint and new, all strange. Evening starts and everyone gather to cook their own meals on different cookers in the same kitchen. Hubby has on-call duty and here I was struggling and sweating to cook our first meal. Couple of English guys were doing their own thing and a couple of Pakistani docs were dishing out some good smelling biriyani etc. I did not even look around, I was feeling so nervous, lost and miserable. I need not mention that when my husband finally came, I scraped some burnt grains of rice out of a pan and some strange looking dhal out of another huge pot. This from a wife who was an Home Science graduate!! He was kind and we managed with the shop bought yoghurt, Patak pickle and banana!!!
    I will never forget that first meal and the other few meals that followed in those early married days of my life :)

L, Kamla

5. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

hi ppl

very nice n interesting to read this thread and chithu n kamla's experience are just very very nice to read....

lov
    sowmi

1 person likes this.
  6. Sriniketan

One day I was preparing "Rasagullas" in a pressure cooker. I had tried it earlier twice and I am confident of doing that day too. I followed the instructions till the last step. I put off the cooker. I opened the cooker only after finishing my other jobs around. You can imagine! I was thoroughly searching for the rasagullahs which were spread like a carpet with sugar syrup. I dont't know what to do. but i added cocoa powder to it and made 'milk chocolate'.
    I learnt lesson that day to follow ALL the directions. My mistake of not opening the lid immediately gave that problem.
    I am always remember whenever i make it.

Sriniketan

Sriniketan

7. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Sri,

this thread is good many ideas. once i was making dahi-vada (thayir vada) vada paste was loose so i thought tommix some rice flour to get batter of correct consistency. ok i added something and made vada, it was very soft dahi vada melts in mouth. Then i thought i will make some murukkus and took rice powder container, then i remebered this one is rice powder then what i mixed in vada, it was maida. so now i use freely maida and rice floor depending on my imagination not restricted to a particular item.
    bye
    padma

8. sania

sania New IL'ite

i told u'al sum days back dat my custard came out 2 bad n i had 2 make chocolate puddin agin 4 sum party n i ws scared wl it come out gud....bt wn i made it i ws shocked 2 see dis time wn ev1 had it in d party liked it so muchhhhhhhhhh dat they were very keen 2 knw the recipe...bt i thot they wer jus sayin it...bt really aftr 4 days i started gettin calls frm all my frns askin 4 d recipe...a frn call frm back home 2 ask d recipe so dat she cud make for a party...:)

9. Sriniketan

Hi Sania,
    Can you post the recipe for us?:wink:
    Sriniketan

10. Sriniketan

Hi Padma,
    I am going to try vada with rice flour and maida, on at a time.
    Sriniketan

1 person likes this.