1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Blunders

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,
    I thought that it would be funny to remember the mistakes we made during our early days in the kitchen ( which even continues till now). Sometimes those would become the secret ingredient in our recipes. some we never forget.
    Love to hear and learn from it and can also enjoy while reading it. Share those moments here!

Here is my share:
    For the orange peel pacchadi we add jaggery at the end. For that I added the orange marmalade (which was in the fridge for a long time) to it with jaggery( reduced it according to the taste). It became a hit among the family members. Even my MIL didn't know the 'secret ingredient'. She likes it very much. Only my husband knows the secret. You can add other jams to it, if the jams are not being used after it has been opened.
    More to follow!
    Sriniketan

1 person likes this.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Sri,
    this is great idea but i don't know how to make this pachadi, never tasted also.
    i have to think what i can share. when we came to china i wanted to eat ginger pickle andhra style and we don't get tamarind and jaggery here. so i replaced tamarind with lemon juice and jaggery with sugar and gingelly oil with sunflower. taste was not same but it was realy great my husband liked it a lot now every month i make that small bottle.

bye
    padma

3. Aniyaa

Aniyaa New IL'ite

During the orange season , I had lot of over ripe oranges left over...:)
    I thot of an idea not to waste the oranges :idea:
    I prepared orange-milkshake
    u can guess the result.... :bang

1 person likes this.
  4. Sriniketan

HI Padma,
    The recipe for the orange sweet pachhadi is:
    Orange peels-- cut into small bits
    Oil, salt, fenugreek seeds, thoovar dhal, mustard seeds, green chillies, turmeric powder, tamarind juice and jaggery.
    Heat the oil and add fenugreek seed, after they are slightly brown add the mustard seeds and then toor dhal (raw, a little bit)and green chillies. Now add the orange peel cuts into it, with salt and turmeric powder. Let it cook. after the peel is soft add the tamarind juice to it(you can also add some orange juice). After the raw smell has gone add some jaggery to it and put it off after the first boil.
    This will have a combined taste of sweet and sour. You can use this as a side dish or as an accompaniment to the yogurt rice.
    In chennai we use Narthang kai for it which has a bitter taste to it.
    Sriniketan

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Sri,

thanks for sharing recipe i will try very soon and tell u

bye
    padma

6. Sriniketan

Once I made 'Uppma'. Eventhough every food that we make has salt or sugar in it, for this item there must be salt . otherwise it is not called uppma but only 'ma'. This was the case for me when i forgot to add some salt (uppu). My father ate it and told me that there is no salt. From then on we used to call it only 'ma' even if the salt is less.

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  7. sania

sania New IL'ite

once in the early days of my college when i din know 2 cook so well i had to cook 4 my cousins n frns wn my mom wasnt at home had gone 2 bombay...so i decided 2 make chole puris...chole i made aftr blowing 10-15 whistles...bt i din knw hw 2 make dough of puris dat 2 maida puris...i din add oil 2 d dough...n on top of dat my cousin startd fryin in cold oil n wn i fried they din cum out as puris bt as kadak papads...ev1 there had to eat papad n chole...:bangcomp:

8. sania

sania New IL'ite

nw im married n nw cn cook well bt still its very difficult wn i hav 2 make any starter or food for 10-15 people...bt i try my best...yesterday i made fruit custard with biscuits n cream n thot wil cum out yumm bt wn i ate i din like it...i ws imagining what wud others like..actuaaly i made a mistake by addin pineaaple in all fruits wch wasnt sweet..:cry: nw im scared 2 make chocolate pudding for tomorow....

9. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi
    a few years ago my brother visit me in england and asked me to cook lady fingers.
    i am not fond of vegetable, don't know how to cook properly. so i boiled the okra.....u can guess the result.......all mushy i fried them ...my brother eat them because he didn't want to hurt me. i learned now how to do it.

when i do prawns with eggplant i add sambar powder instead of masala. this turned out to be very tasty.

bye

10. Sriniketan

About the ladies finger. When my cousin came over here with her daughter for the holidays, I prepared okra curry. I usually use little oil. I thought to make it tastier I added oil little by little. still I couldn't get the accepted form. but the okra has already been cooked. Do you what happened at the end? The curry became a big mass.:icon_frown: My cousin commented that she hadn't seen okra curry to be that way.
    We think of one and it happens the other way.
    sriniketan

1 person likes this.