Kindergeld and Elterngeld in Germany

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by maggi99, Nov 2, 2009.

1. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I would like to know some information about Kindergeld and Elterngeld :

My husband is having a german work permit and employed here and we are living in Germany for 2 yrs and I am a house wife. We are expecting our first child next year.

1. From when are we eligible for the Elterngeld and how much. Are we eligible for Elterngeld even when one of the parents i.e me being a housewife.

2. And once the baby is born in Germany is it eligible for the Kindergeld and how much!

3. Incase I deliver in India and come back to germany after 3 months would my child be eligible for Kindergeld and we parents for Elterngeld?

Is there a limit of earning that parents shd hv exceeding which we would not be eligible for Elterngeld ? i mean the netto per year

looking forward for your reply, thanks !!

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Maggi,

Elterngeld: I have no idea. basically we wanted to apply too since it came into picture only last year but simply gave it up. i hope someone else can guide you on this. to my understanding it's more for working women who have to give up job during pregnancy... i may be wrong here!

Kindergeld: Right now my kids get 164 euro each.

Yes, irrespective of where the baby is born, if you are a resident of Germany your child will get the kindergeld. You'll to have to fill out this form (KG1) .. please check the link below: Kindergeld - www.arbeitsagentur.de

If the baby is born in Germany then the hospital will give you original birth certificate in copies, one meant for kindergeld itself. in any case, you've to fill the form online and submit.

Latha

3. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Traveller,

I read couple of forums and official website however didn't get proper info / didn't understand it right.

Thanks for the info on Kindergeld. I was planning to have my baby in Germany, but now I am thinking of going home (India) for delivery for personal reasons.

Finding it difficult to handle till delivery all by myself... as per earlier plan my mom had to visit me during delivery. So just want to make sure my child will get the benefits from Germany even if its born in India.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

no worries, Maggi:) if you're back home you get pampered really well. like for my son i went home for delivery and i could just sit, read, go on walks etc., not worrying about home maintenance at all. my parents came here for the 2nd one and everything was new to them so i ended up doing most work. they felt so bad!

if you deliver the baby in india the passport, visa process will drive you nuts, sometimes:) i'm not scaring you but better to be prepared. for us though it happened quite smoothly but i know of cases that had difficulties.

1. my husband came for naming ceremony and we applied for passport when he was there. but if you apply all by yourself then your husband needs to get an attestation from indian consulate here as a proof that you live abroad.
    2. i applied for german visa through the travel agents. they kind of delayed it a bit. finally i called up the german consulate myself and told them we're residents. because i was in bangalore and the consulate in chennai i told them i cannot come in person. they issued the visa without any fuss. ofcourse now the procedure has changed and you have an agent in bangalore to apply. but still if you explain you can avoid the personal interview in chennai.
    3. you must re-enter germany within 6 months else your visa itself gets invalid! one of my friends didn't know this and she ended up staying back in india for over a year:(

Latha

5. rashchandu

rashchandu New IL'ite

Kindergeld in Germany

Hi

I'm Rashmi, We r travelling to Munich in month of April'11.

I have 4yr old daughter, can any body guide me how to go about to get admission in English kindergarten and also the fee structure.

If any of u guide us to find out the house for rent - 2bedroom in munich close S-bahn stations as my hubby has to travel to wessling everyday for office.

6. honeyingermany

honeyingermany New IL'ite

For Elterngeld,

I can tell you that you'll get about 67% of yout last income with a minimum of 300 € and a Maximum of 1800€ for 12 Months, 2 Months more if your husband stays at home for 2 months.
    There were some changes lately, so i am not sure about how much a housewife will ge.

7. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

now the elterngeld is made 65% of last income u get.

and 300 euro for housewife and it depends on the income of husband.

8. mymunich

mymunich New IL'ite

Hi all,

It was the first page for me where i got lot of useful information about child benefits and Elterngeld specially by traveler:Forum Moderator, thank you so much for sharing this info.
    Though I am not new in munich still i have very little information about it, i am living here since oct 2010 on dependent visa(my husband is having company bound visa for next 3 years and he is living here since aug 2010) and i am house wife. I worked in India as computer lecturer in an private engineering college for about 6 months, but since i left India i am jobless. I have few questions which are bothering me and i could not get proper info from anywhere:

1:If my baby be born in India, Will i be eligible for:
    a)elterngeld and kindergeld
    b)what would be the procedure to get it if I am eligible
    c)what certificates i need to get from India for above benefits

2:If my baby be born in Germany: Will i be eligible for:
    a)elterngeld and kindergeld
    b)what would be the procedure to get it if I am eligible
    c)what certificates i need for above benefits

3:Any other benefits which my baby will not get if it born's in India.

I am expecting my baby in may 2012.

Thank you in advance and eagerly waiting for your reply though lot of questions

9. quasar

quasar New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I have a query here.
    I am deputed to Germany from India and my taxes are paid by the company in India.I have a 1.5 year old baby whom I would put in Kindergarten.
    Am I eligible for Kindergeld or can I atleast get a tax rebate?
    Please advise

10. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

Hallo quasar

I am not sure ant the taxes but u r eligible to get the kindergeld.
    by the way how long are will u stay in germany.if u r on wrk permit then u will be eligible to get kindergeld.