1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kindergarten Curriculum In California

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Mehana, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Hello moms,

Could someone share what's the exact math curriculum followed in USA. We live in California.

I want to see what they expect kids in kindergarten ageage what they teach in kindergarten particularly the math. Please post here.

Thank you.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The California Dept. of Education website California Department of Education will have the information about state curriculum for math and other subjects for grades K-12. The following links describe the kindergarten math curriculum:
    https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/documents/mathfwkindergarten.pdf
    https://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/ccssmathstandardaug2013.pdf

The above links have tons of information that parent will need to sift through. This link is a good starting point: https://www.scoe.net/castandards/Documents/parent_overview_math_k-2.pdf

Check with the teacher if the school is following Common Core Math. Common Core requires students to explain their answer to math problems. How to do this explaining can be mystifying to parents. I once spent a good one hour with my third grader trying to figure out how we got the answer 1 for 1/2 + 1/2. Finally, my kid wrote something like "I just know it is 1" : )

The below picture explains what is expected of students in K-2. Kindergartners or first graders who can mentally calculate that 8 is < 9 or that 9-3 is 6 will need to find words to explain the answer. They should say something like "I used tiles or blocks." : ) "I did it in my mind" is not an acceptable explanation. Kumon won't teach kids how to explain their answers.

cc0.PNG cc1.PNG cc2.PNG

In my opinion, it is unfair to students to require them to explain simple answers to simple word problems. The math drawing and using tiles/squares should be for students who find addition and subtraction challenging.

For parents who are not keen to wade through the state standards documents, there is the option of simply buying a grade appropriate workbook from Costco or online. On a related note, the best investment for workbooks public school parents can make is to buy a few from The Critical Thinking Co. Go for the print version. A tree gets cut but child is away from electronic devices for the time spent on the workbook pages. The $150-$200 I used to spend each year on these books was well worth it. Don't make it a regimen kind of work. Bring them out when child is bored or has extra time on a weekend. Tear out a few pages and keep them in the car.

Mehana likes this.
  3. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much Rihana!