1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kind of upset that hubby wants me to straighten hair

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jan 27, 2013.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

I know this is not a big deal in the scheme of things, but right now, I am kind of upset that hubby wants me to straighten my hair.

I appreciate the hair God gave me, it is thick and wavy. He says in India, straightening is fashionable, and he would like me to go for rebonding. When I explained him that rebonding uses chemicals that causes cancer, he didn't understand. And somehow, I still think he doesn't understand (or he is not convinced because several times, I am misinformed about many things myself, which is a topic for different thread)

After some back and forth about making adjustments in marriage, and about trying new things, etc, etc, he asked that I get my hair temporarily straightened and take a pic and post to Facebook so family and friends can see.

I really did not want this is escalate into World War III so I said that once he comes down here for good, he can come with me when I get my hair straightened by a family friend, and he can take photograph and post on Facebook. And while he is on Facebook, I will wash out the gunk and get my hair back to normal :)

Is straightening hair so fashionable in India? What happens if Bollywood actresses decide to cherish their God-given beautiful Indian hair? Then will we appreciate what God gave us? Are we all really followers of what mass media tells us?

I am really upset right now. For a while, I thought I was ugly because I wasn't getting matrimonial alliance, and now I realize it is society that is ugly, that makes women think they are ugly with what God has blessed them with (that is why they can make money off of straightening or curling irons, because if you have straight hair, you are ugly, you should get it curled, and if you have curly hair you are ugly you should have it straightened).

I mean, we should take care of our body, mind, and spirit, but I think it's really dumb to follow things because Bollywood, or Hollywood, or LaLaWood says we should do something.

Can you ladies give some advice, and your experiences. Do you think I am making a big deal of this? Do you think it is better that when hubby comes, I get hair straightened, let him take pic, then wash the gunk off? Is this something normal for hubbys to ask wifeys, especially when they are newly married? HELP!!!:drowning

1 person likes this.

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I have always had naturally straight, fine hair. The only hairstyle that has ever worked for me was a pageboy bob.

Of course, all my life, all I've ever wanted was thick, wavy, luxurious hair, much as I imagine yours to be. I even had my hair permed once, in the nineties, when such atrocities were still acceptable. According to my sister, when I came home from the hairdresser, our cat took one look at me, bolted, and hid for hours.

It's hard enough dealing with our own insecurities without our loved ones adding to them. I think the way you feel is normal. In fact, it's nice to see a woman at peace with aspects of her physical appearance. Gentle, optional suggestions from loved ones are not entirely outrageous, but your husband's insistence on the hair-straightening seems a bit alarming.

He is right that adjustments in a marriage are to be expected, but I'm not sure that adjusting one's hair falls into this category. I agree with you that trends and crazes are not something that everyone should be expected to slavishly follow. They certainly don't make for the basis of a substantial argument. At the very least, your reluctance to change an actual, physical part of you through the application of chemicals and heat (I assume - not sure about the mechanics) should carry some weight with him. So, perhaps the "adjustment" needed here is in his attitude, not your hair.

4 people like this.
  3. zipzipzoomzoom

I mean, he also insisted that I take few photographs with skinny jeans and high heels, and because those turned out beautiful, he is using the same logic here.

After I kept telling over and over that rebonding uses chemicals that cause cancer, he asked for straightening using hair iron just for few minutes.

I really don't want to do this, even though I told him I would once he comes here. And I am still really really really upset.

I just want to know how to back out of what I said because it is really bugging me, It's not the straightening part, even straightening temporarily which will wash right out, it's just that how is he thinking, how will it affect in the future? I mean, if temporary hair straightening is like wearing a pair of jeans, and then taking them off, I don't mind.

And the things is, a lot of times it is hard to convince him of certain things because I myself lack knowledge on certain things, so this looks like an uphill battle..... :-(

4. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Ask him to curl his hair or knot it with small rubberbands to make small braids all over his head coz you want to post it on facebook for people to see. If you are not comfortable, just dont do it.

12 people like this.
  5. zipzipzoomzoom

Yeah, I will tell him that I am upset and I don't want to do any sort of straightening and please never mention it again. I am too upset right now.

6. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

straightening is no big deal, you do not need chemicals just use a flat iron and a deep conditioner to protect your hair from damage, you may end up liking it. He shouldn't force you but a lot of husbands do that. I have very curly hair and my husband tells me the same thing, I have all of the things I need to straighten it at home, i do not do it everyday but I do on the weekends mostly. Hope this helps.

3 people like this.
  7. zipzipzoomzoom

Actually, your post is making me feel little better :)

I mean, I love my hubby, the topic came up today. He mentioned rebonding and when I explained that I don't want to do it because it has chemicals that cause cancer, plus I am happy with my hair, we had this back-and-forth.

Well, if at-home straightening is like wearing a pair of skinny jeans and high-heels and then changing into something more comfortable, then I suppose I can live with that ....

I mean in marriage they say pick your battles, and try to accommodate one another, but I fear that hubby doesn't like the way I look, even though he says I am pretty, and I have a good heart. Perhaps we both have our insecurities we need to work through ........

1 person likes this.
  8. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

In India, there is a craze for making one's hair into a curly hair. Women undergo, series of sessions to make their straight hair into a curly one. Malayali women, who naturally have curly women, are by and large considered to be having the most beautiful hair.

Yet, individual tastes and preferences differ widely. I am surprised at your man's craze for a 'straight hair'. It is fine, what is the big deal in making it straight ?

It is a very very trivial issue. But, if you think that something is forced upon you, which you do not like, then you have to resist it, by explaining to him why you do not want it.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It can be upsetting to a woman if husband suggests anything with respect to looks. Or cooking. Or her parenting. Or her hosting skills. Or... Similarly, a husband might feel upset if wife suggests some change/improvements in what are typically regarded as husband/man related aspects.

In your case, you are still newly married (and living apart, I understand). How you deal with this situation will set the tone for similar ones in the future. If you choose to not do anything about his suggestion, you will still be brooding over it, and he also will hesitate in future to suggest anything.

What I would suggest is to approach it with an open mind. He is your husband, he has asked you to try a small change to one aspect of physical appearance. Rebonding (I don't know what that is) seems like it uses chemicals etc, so skip that. But simple straightening of hair is not that complicated. If you have a friend who is good at it, take her help. If not, check out the local beauty colleges, they will be able to show you how and guide you in what to buy. Or, a stylist at a good hair salon should be able to help. You can have a friend video-record the stylist showing you how to do your hair. The stylist might charge you $50 and the flat iron and accessories might cost $100 or so... try it, it will be a worthwhile investment.

It is great to be comfortable in one's own skin. But, fact is, looks and grooming matter. At least on special occasions. So, no harm in learning how to make the best of one's natural looks.

Once the kids come along, life gets busier, and we also get older, and start to look more at inner beauty of spouse. :) Until then, humor the spouse's suggestion as much as possible... that is my suggestion... :)

5 people like this.
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am guessing you are in a long distance relationship right now. Things heat up very quickly over phone.
    I completely agree with Ansuya.

On a different note, have you ever tried straightening your hair? Perhaps you will look irresistible?
    When you do straighten it, tell him that you hated doing it but you did only because he wanted to see you in straight hair. Hopefully he will realize that pushing someone doesn't work.
    If he doesn't realize, then you have a different problem.