Killer combo - Halwa and Jasmine??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by singapalsmile, Mar 21, 2010.

1. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Instead of having a preconceived notion about the conception of the halwa, I suggest that-Folks, you need to watch at least a dozen movies in Tamil- about the halwa-malli romance...

There is a character in Amaithipadai (Sathyaraj-Kasthuri starrer) who is named Halwa (Vasu).

I have a feeling, that this topic is not coming to its point-everyone hesitating about the halwa and jasmine...

2. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

LOL ASG, I like Halwa and it is a scrummy Indian sweet but not sure if I can get to try the Jasmine though. I can tell you Jasmine certainly won't invoke the romantic in me. Maybe I'll have to improvise with Halwa and a favourite Eau de parfum :rotfl Ooo that sounds good that you'll be looking for halwa in the Indian shop. Maybe I should as well since the talk of halwa has aroused my taste buds to try some. Yeah I like the orangish halwa with pistachios, cashews etc as well.
    There is another kind I have tried which is Indian halwa made of almonds and that one is scrummy as well when served hot.

Kma, I sussed as much the combo is regional to India where wine and choccies are not in vogue in India. From whatever bollywood movie wedding scenes I have seen, I do not recall any halwa and jasmine romance in any. All I can recall is the wedded couple singing and dancing on their wedding night in bright coloured costumes with a hundred extras in grassy rolling meadows, Taj Mahal, Pyramids and in the rain LOL

3. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Veda- Good point. Elasticity and texture... Need to think how its gonna help... :(

Malavika - Try using Jasmine in India. May be there's no need for it in ur place. Just a mild perfume or room freshner with jasmine fragrance is more than enough. But in south india where the climate is always hot/hotter/hottest u need some flowers with strong fragrance ;) Jasmine is the ideal one ;) Guess what.. we can get jasmine only in summer.. So got the hint? ;) :p
    You've to watch south Indian movies esp tamil movies to know the importance of Halwa n jasmine in married couples :D The hero pacifies the heroine mostly with halwa and jasmine after a heated argument or fight :)
    I still dont know how many of them use this in real life :D If old couples participate in this discussion,I'm sure they can throw some light on this halwa matter :p
    ASG- Have a wonderful romantic weeekend ;) Ur idea was too good :p

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

May be.. Still trying to figure out the speciality of halwa... One thing is for sure with all our imagination put together we might land up with an innovative game :thumbsup
    :cheers

5. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    YUp....even Telugu movies too :)

haha I am not much into sweets. But if my hubby brings jasmine-mirchi bajji or jasmine-ice cream( preferably chocolate or vanilla ) I would jump in excitement :) He does get jasmine sometimes though. :)[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. singapalsmile

singapalsmile IL Hall of Fame

Asuitablegirl -> You have an impressive arsenal of romantic ideas: Rose petals, Violin play! :wink:

Kma -> FYI: Chocolate is also an aphrodisiac!

Anu -> Thanks for your suggestions on mild perfume, room freshener to augment the romantic ambiance. :wink:

Like Anu said, an old couple would be able to shed light on this *Halwa* topic and I look forward to hearing a response from an elderly person in IL. Any taker in IL?

Saipavani -> Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream are aphrodisiacs and it calls for a separate discussion altogether. :wink:

Courtesy: Google.

7. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

I believe there are a lot more of them around! I only meant people around the world seem to be doing the best of what is available around them.

8. pingme

pingme New IL'ite

I think getting turned on with jasmine scent etc and such things come with the environment you grew up in. But again not all come with the environment and your upbringing. It depends on how well you adapt to some acquired senses too in totally new environment.

When we were in US, dh brought the best brand champagne and what do you know?
    I threw up after what I felt tasted horrible. Yes, horrible taste and terrible smell for me and never ventured again.

Similarly, a friend of mine feels nauseated at the word pizza.
    Whenever we had pizza party in the US, we all ate pizza and she is a loner with her own stuff to consume. Not that I ate pizza all my life. I never saw pizza till I went to US more than a decade back.
    Maybe I could adapt myself to the acquired taste.

I think it is each to his own.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

I agree with you 100% on this. It is all in the mind.

But still I think there are some aphrodisiacs also which do work effectively.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Kma,
    Could u please post the list?;-)