Killer combo - Halwa and Jasmine??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by singapalsmile, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    I am from north India.. We do have mogra and jasmine as romantic flowers in our regions
    About Halwa, here is my take.. At least in North, it has all kind of dry fruits and Ghee mixed in it (things that provide you with virility and increase your strength)Eg. Almonds, Pistachios, Cashews, Raisins etc.. They are all aphrodisiacs. So, it is really not the Halwa per se, but the things put in it.. You can put n number of things to make it more 'powerful'..
    Thats why we give halwa made in 'Gur' to ladies right after giving birth..
    Halwa Khao and Ash karo

1 person likes this.
  2. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

That is for WHO? eh? you lost me. I get the latter part of the sentence. So wine and choccies and lingerie is for upper class people in India and its Halwa and Jasmine flowers for the 'not so upper class' people? LOL

Halwa is a tasty indian sweet but never imagined it in a romantic set up. I just cannot imagine Jasmine as romantic at all though due to the smell. It smells stronger than a cheap supermarket perfume LOL Fragrances need to subtle in a romantic setup not smell the woman from 3 miles away.

3. sangeeta2010

sangeeta2010 New IL'ite

TO EACH HIS OWN!!!............
    The end result is the same whichever way you prefer to go..........:rotfl

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Malavika

Vellakara Dorais is Tamil for Bhadralok. Literally vellakaran means "White man" and dorai is the term they were referred with in the colonial times :)

Ahhh Vidhkarthik! Don't remind me. Amidst Kaapi and sahana and RTPs and Main ragams.... breakfast at Mylapore Karpagambal Mess - the venn pongal and kasi halwa and head straight to MA for the morning lect-dem. Arusuvai's Mysore bonda and coffee for mid-morning snack and head straight to BVB for a junior kutchery. Lunch at MFA - Meenambika Caterers and the 3'o clock kutchery. Back to MA for evening tiffin/coffee and the 6'o Clock slot. Grab dinner either at Mylapore Sangeetha or Saravana Bhavan! And not to mention mallippo sporting maamis with pattu podavais being haajar for the evening kutchery slots!

Whether with a loved one or all alone, isn't it romantic all the same :thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    2 people like this.
  5. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Ahh ok, thanks peartree. Yeah I am not familiar or fluent in any Indian language except maybe recognize popular terms and words.

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

No Romantic person yet still, I find all that you say so so awesome. Decemeber season, Imy main occupation is o roam around hogging. Peartree, the maami clan is growing, and now there are loads of kada kuttis like me roaming around too.Kaasi halwa from Arusuvai..Aaha:)

Arch

1 person likes this.
  7. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Scenario 1: Tirunelveli. Lala Kadai (shop). Evening 7 pm. Teeming crowds, eating the halwa out of mandharai leaves.

Scenario 2: West Chithirai street, Madurai. Nagapattinam nei mittai kadai. Kara milagu sevu, tear drops from the eyes, and lap it up with halwa. Divine taste.

Scenario 3: Opposite Regal theatre, madurai, halwa for a song,people rushing to catch the evening trains to chennai, carrying half a kilo each of the stuff, with a handful in the mouth..

Jasmine available at the street corners...All the three scenes are corner scenes...Pizza? that's vellakara stuff...

1 person likes this.
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Are Lala Kadai and what they call "Iruttu Kadai" the same?

9. singapalsmile

singapalsmile IL Hall of Fame

Foundlove -> Did you get a chance to do your bit of research? Share you findings if any!

Peartree -> Thanks for your participation in this thread.

Paanzaa -> Looks like you are more inclined to countryside-romance. Influenced by Bharathiraaja's flicks?

Asuitablegirl -> 'Halwa in a heart shaped box' sounds like a good idea!

Smart_Soul -> Thanks for your compliment. 'Singapal Siripazhagi' is a poetic nickname and I just love it!:)

Well, if this Jasmine-Halwa combo doesn't work for you, you can settle for some other romantic combo that befits you both - For instance, substitute Sweets with Fruits and Jasmine with Perfume.. :wink:

Delmommy -> Thanks for your inputs!

Let's not digress from the topic! I'm still looking for an apt response to my query: Why is it Halwa and NOT any other sweet?

10. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Lala kadai and Iruttu kadai are the same. opp to the Swami Sannidhi in Tirunelveli Town.

Not inspired by Bharatiraaja;I was bought up in lot of open space structures..Villages only have those these days.
    I am somehow wary of the flat culture. And also reminds me of the Sagalakala Vallavan dialogue.." mela vanathila irukra nilave nee pakkka, kizhe nila pola irukum un mugathe naan parka..antha kayithu kattila sugame thani".