Killer combo - Halwa and Jasmine??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by singapalsmile, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vidh, for the explanation :) Well I sure know what Halwa is and have tasted it multiple times but could not insert it in a romantic context LOL As for Jasmine, ok its the flower as I thought. Too strong a smell for me and I get headaches and nasal allergies. Maybe its just me :) I have smelt jasmine flowers while in India and felt it was overwhelmingly strong. I don't think its a common flower here except in perfumes or cosmetics.

2. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    JMO

Frankly speaking I find jasmine more romantic than chocolates. Its called malle poolu in Telugu. Its soo refreshing and lightens up mood. A nice saree (white with red border...or just plain simple saree) and jasmine flowers in the evenings....awesome combination !!!

Please don't say rural India. Sorry not to offend you :) . They sell jasmine flowers even in Hyderabad...every road has a shop ( I presume Hyderabad is not village) and most men from Andhra ( I seriously don't know how is it in other states :) so referring Andhra) ...talk tella cherra, malle poolu (white saree and jasmine flowers) as most romantic combination than chocolates and lingerie :) ....

and BTW rural India does know about chocolates and wine...they might not be knowing good brands of wine....or chocolates and wine as romantic combo.. but yeah they know chocolates for sure :)

yeah true :)

[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    3 people like this.
  3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Probaly bcoz Jasmine smells very good.It is romantic too when you decorate a room with Jasmine:bonk:rotfl...

Halwa....Hmm?Do I have to tell?The guy gives a big Halwa to the the girl..Sathyaraj style....Halwa kuduthu kaala vaararathukku thaan...:biglaugh.I think the movies have big influence here.:rotfl:rotfl

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

halwa and romance is a new info for me!! Jasmine yes, but like Malavika said, i know of a friend who gets terible headaches due to jasmine and her poor DH who didnt know that loves jasmine flowers and got her a tonne soon after wedding!! that was one fun night they had, Not!!!!

but this halwa thing, is that a very regional thing?? is it just some states in India or did i really miss out this while growing up and romancing?? btw my DH loves halva & my mum too, esp the bombay halwa with loads of dry fruits.. dad whenever he had a reason to visit mumbai used to get her some and once asked somebdy visitng there to get some for her since it had been a while he had gone there, even though we used to get mumbai halwa in the shops in our city.. That is called romancing i guess..

5. saipavani123

[JUSTIFY]
    Yup !! Usually here in Andhra (not generalizing.....but even movies show like that ) room and bed are decorated with jasmine flowers during wedding nights [/JUSTIFY]

6. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Jasmine is too overwhelmingly strong of a smell or fragrance and it gives me headcahes and allergies. And I think lot of people here think the same about Jasmine. I've smelt it while I used to visit India and it too bloody overwhelming for me LOL

Yeah I suppose it must be a popular choice for romance in India or so I gather from people here. It was hard for me to put Jasmine and Halwa in a romantic mood environment mainly because I cannot relate to it.
    I've tasted the halwa sweet several times but I could never envision it in a romantic context. Too sticky and gooey for romance LOL I guess I am not alone since it is new to you as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. saipavani123

ohh okay :)
    Hmm might be some people do not like its strong smell :) .....

8. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

SaiPavani, Even my room was decorated full of Jasmine.I do not know whether it was movie influence or something , it was too romantic.:bonk:rotfl:rotfl:hide:.

It might create headache for people who are not used to Jasmine smell.

9. saipavani123

[JUSTIFY]
    Even mine too :) ..It was too romantic...my whole hair was decorated with jasmine flowers..... and yeah it might give headache to people who don't like that smell :)[/JUSTIFY]

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

:)

It is simply cultural :)

There was a concept of marrying from one village to another. And like a lot of travellers, food was packed and given. There are certain cultures which still have a "kattusadha koodai" in place. Halwa was the sweet featured in it, because it could withstand travel. I cannot imagine a mysorepa or a adhirasam there though.

I believe, that after the travel when the couple reaches the husband's place, the halwa - from her mother's place is served on the first night. I assume so, because a lot of our marriage practices were originated when India lived as villages, and practices were practical. Jasmine, probably because it is a locally available flower.

This is my own understanding, and can be wrong:)

1 person likes this.