Killer combo - Halwa and Jasmine??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by singapalsmile, Mar 21, 2010.

1. singapalsmile

singapalsmile IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

I have been a silent reader of this forum for a long time and enjoyed reading umpteen posts in IL. Kudos to IL contributors!!:thumbsup

I would like to post a question here which remains as a hot topic of debate among my friends' circle of late. Google didn't help either.

I presume everyone would have heard of "Halwa" and "Jasmine" combo in the context of romance. :wink: I can give due credits to Jasmine for its fragrance but fail to understand how Halwa made its way to the combo above.

Can you guys throw some light on the significance of *Halwa*? My query is, "Why is it only Halwa and NOT any other sweet?"

I am looking for rationale behind the selection of Halwa over other sweets.

2. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Veda,
    Mokkai podarathunnu mudivu panniyaacha? :)
    (To those who did not follow that, its nothing much, just a banter)

4. raji1974

raji1974 New IL'ite

veda,

if you will take othersweets u have to buy in big dabb's only. It wil show to everybody that u bought something for your betterhalf. but halwa is not like that and it will easy to swallow. I have experience in halwa not jasmine. Romantically speaking, halwa is best for kissing.

raji

3 people like this.
  5. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Smell good!
    Taste good!!:thumbsup

6. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Veda,
    Good.I appreciate the effort taken to clear my(our) doubt. Yes,this is the best place to know the significance of Halwa.
    I just now checked whether wheat halwa is an aphrodisiac or not ;) It is not but Fig halwa is :)
    So IMO it has got to do with some romantic games. I feel our grannies might know such games. I don't know any friendly granny. If only they could enlighten us... we can use it on special occasions like b'days and anniversaries ;)
    I am eagerly waiting for more responses :p

2 people like this.
  7. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

No I have not. Frankly, what sort of weird romance combo is that? And what has Halwa and Jasmine got to do with romance? When you say Jasmine, what are you referring to? The actual flower Jasmine? Why would someone find it romantic? It has a very strong smell and it gives headaches and make your nasal pores go barmy. Why is that romantic? LOL

Why can't you stick to something simple like wine and choccies and sexy lingerie for romance and bring some red roses if you are in a generous mood? LOL

( And I am pretty sure I am missing something big here about Halwa and Jasmine in a romantic context)

8. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aruna,
    Your response was precise but too good :bowdown. I very well get ur point here :idea
    But my question is why halwa and not any other sweet :spin

9. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

Cultural differences Malavika. You might feel jasmine has a strong smell and could give you headaches. Here in Southern India, where the heat wave is overwhelming, the fragrance of jasmine during late evenings does brighten up the humid evenings. If you are used to jasmine flowers right from childhood, you are used to it and will adore the fragrance.

Halwa is a inexpensive, sugar filled, chewy sweet which is known to be an aphrodisiac.

Remember..We are talking about rural India here where wines and chocolates are unheard of. So..Halwa and jasmine is their style of romance. Am sure you will not deny that every place has its own unique cultural aspects and one is not greater or less than the other. This is just one of those things dear.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

^ here I'd like to quote from a Halwa vendor :)
    PS : this is response to post #7

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010