1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Kids Leaving Home

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Jey, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just finished reading this book.

IMG_5682.JPG

This is a book about a mom writing her experience dealing with a shifting landscape as kids leave for college and how to reinvent herself once her well-defined role and activities as a mother is no longer needed.

As I turned the last page, I wondered how I ended up with a mother's memoir, after all. I saw a youtube video where this author was describing how the house will look once kids leave for college. That scene she described was a nightmare to me. Oh, no. Not happening to me. No.

I hurriedly bought the book to see if there is a way to avoid that sad fate.

It is a well-written book but she has no answers other than to say, "make the most of the time now". Hence the title, the gift of an ordinary day.

This is one thing I just wished in the US there isn't so much stigma attached to kids staying with parents even after college, until they get married. Just like India. It would have given another 10 more years with kids.

Gosh, I hate it.

HazelPup, Amica, butterflyice and 5 others like this.