1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids In America Vs India..virginity..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, May 30, 2018.

1. blooms4me

blooms4me Bronze IL'ite

Exploring sexuality and other things at an early age is more or less because of teenage and that they are curious and want to be accepted among their peers. Raising kids in US or other western countries can be tough because of the open way of living. I sure believe that environment that one grows up in does play a huge role in the way of living. The only thing we as parents can do is educate our kids well, bring them up with good values, fear of God and talk to them openly about the dangers of the kind of open sexual living. Many kids see their parents as people whom they cannot talk to. They see things around, things on TV, get bits and pieces of information and do things. They do not realize how it can affect them emotionally in future. I have never a frank conversation with my mother about things like this or about boys or anything when i was a teenager. I hope to be open to discussions when my child grows up though. It is always a tough challenge to raise kids with integrity but all we can do is provide them with all the tools of life and hope for the best.

2. Hsharma2018

Hsharma2018 Senior IL'ite

I can only share my family's experience. My husband was raised in Delhi, me in small town America. His upbringing was religious, mine was not.
    In talking to him and his old school friends now that they are all adults, it wasn't that they did not participate in sexual activity, but that they were just very secretive about it.
    I was brought up in a western household where we openly discussed sexuality, but I didn't participate in sexual behavior until I was an adult and was very well educated on all aspects, health, morals, emotions, etc.
    Every situation is different, but so far with our teenage daughter, we are bringing her up to be educated about sex and no topic is taboo with me. She is very high achieving in all areas and not in any hurry to be sexually active.
    I don't think society policing is very helpful for things like this. Sex is a natural human behavior and making it so fearful can be counterproductive.

3. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

India and other middle east countries are known to be more conservative and USA is more liberated. We may have different views and opinions about virginity but I think it still all depends on the person. Parents should teach their children how to take care of their body and mold their mind to focus more on their future while they are still teenagers.

anika987 likes this.
  4. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

@Hsharma2018

What a fascinating anecdote (at least to me). Just goes to show the "forbidden fruit is the sweetest". I completely agree from close-friends experience - the restrictive and highly-watched society in India - only meant that teenagers found innovative ways to break rules in secretive ways. This was from my knowledge 20 years ago in India - not even today's India. Lots of stuff happened in the time after school hours, after tuition class, in the internet cafes, etc. Parents didn't know and kids explored in unsafe and unhealthy (for the mind) ways. If only parents were folks children could have fully (or at least partly :) ) honest conversations with - things may have been better.

>I was brought up in a western household where we openly discussed sexuality, but I didn't participate in sexual behavior until I was an adult and was very well educated on all aspects, health, morals, emotions, etc.

I believe in this fully - hats off to your parents for raising you so well! Please share more with us more. Since i was brought up in a household where we completely ignored and never talked about anything sexual. I am really curious about what a sex-positive Indian-origin household conversation would be like. I am so far-removed that I cannot even verbalize and imagine what that means. That is definitely my goal for my family but I would like to learn from someone's experience that has been successful.

Hsharma2018 likes this.