1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids crazy for crackers, puffs won't eat food

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sanjuruby3, Feb 15, 2016.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

My 21 month old daughter is making me crazy here and to be honest, I have also slowed down in worrying.
    All she wants always is crackers - gerber puffs and not just few in a plate/bowl. She wants full box and creates full drama if we do not and will eat like anything.

She will not eat even her fav food. I understands kids want change but any new food If I I cook - like patties, fries, she will look for a sec but won't eat. Same old food - like khicadi, upma, curd, paratha she hardly hardly eats and with rhymes few bites might go inside her.

When we buy outside for us( which is very often in our house with our work schedule), it comes in fancy bags...she gets excited that it is cracker etc and wants that. I cook for her separately. Now she demands carry-out food and I open box which she thinks is cracker/snack etc, but say some bread/sandwich comes out, she won't eat again.

I know kids at her age won't stay hungry. But say, she misses bkfast/lunch and then we wants crackers and only that. Now I am worried ,nothing gone in her stomach let he eat tonnes of crackers . Worse, it is not 1 day story. It repeats.

I say no cracker, she lies on floor, keeps screaming at top of lungs and what not. If I offer healthy options, no..she won't accept as she demanded crackers.

How do you fight your kids bad eating habits?

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Sanjuruby3,

Welcome to terrible twos. My DS too started showing these signs 2 months ago, but me and my DH ignored him and after 1-2 weeks is was fine. Those 2 weeks were very stress full. He still does that some time and i tell him he can have it for snack or I give to him as post dinner or lunch snack but most of the time ignore and he will back to normal after 5 -10 of his drama.

3. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Sensible advise by Viki123.
    Just ignore her tantrums and keep talking to her in normal tones .
    Don't let kids dictate to you ! endure for sometime now and have a life full of peace or give in now and have strife all the time.

1 person likes this.
  4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @viki123 and @shobhamma

I know I do not want her to control us. I know if I let her get her way now, this is how she is going to grow up .. I know all the basic principles.. but fact is when she screams to tear off my eardrums, lies down on floor and won'nt stop, I lose my patience and she wins. :spin
    And may be that is why she is liking her daddy more as he does not fight her at all.
    Atleast I try.
    These kids.. omg...are little dictators.

5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

So basically what she is learning is that if she screams loud enough or goes to dad she will get her way.

2 mistakes here op. More serious one is you and your h parenting philosophies appear to be v different. First align the parenting rules and expectations between you and your h. Talk to him separately and compromise/decide on what will be allowed, when and how much, under what conditions. And then both of you stick to that agreement and enforce it. When she sees both of you r on same page and wont budge, the tantrum or attempts to overcome by force will slowly decrease and go away. Do this now or this will become a huge problem for you. If you let it slide, as she grows older, she will sideline you automatically and go to Dad directly for anything she wants. So be careful OP.

Second mistake is once if you say no you have to stick to it, not give in. She should understand that mom's no means no, not 'maybe, try harder', or 'if I scream louder and bang my head she will give'. This also means that you, OP, should think 100 times and say no only when you really mean it and ready to stick it out! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Try offering her a choice: Ask her if she prefers upma or paratha? It will give her a reasonable sense of control and may stop the tantrums.

And, of course, don't keep crackers and puffs where she can see/reach them.

Good luck. :)