Kid's Birthday

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Angela123, May 19, 2021.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

May is a birthday month in our household. DD's birthday is coming up, I am planning to give giver 10 gifts as she is turning 10 years old. Please give me some suggestions. I have these on my list so far
    - athletic shorts
    - hoodie (apparently these are very popular now)
    - Origami (She is into building stuff. Already have Legos, Minecraft game on ipad, 3D pen, electric circuit)
    - Automatic tooth brush like her dad's
    - accessories (necklace/bracelet )
    I am looking for five other suggestions. She loves make up but not overly. She does gymnastics. Loves that. Very creative person. into art. But we have plenty of art stuff - paint, brushes, palette, A frame, canvas etc. Also calligraphy pens. Loves books.

I will make her favorite cake (not a surprise)and planning to stick balloons (surprise) to her bedroom door. Dinner is at a friend's place. What else can I add?

Thank you!!

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

A few things that my kids have liked:

1. Legos (no matter how many sets they have. They just love Legos!

2. Flower growing kit (I bought for my Dd's 6th birthday last month. She loves gardening and art and it was a nice mix of both and she is in love with the flowers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dan-Darci-Pa...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

3. Charm bracelets kit. She got this from one of her friends and likes it a lot. https://www.amazon.com/Bracelet-Jew...&qid=1621437635&sprefix=gifts+,aps,216&sr=8-5

4. Cookbook and Baking book set from America's Test Kitchen. The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs, The Complete Baking Book for Young Chefs.

5. Mini Drone. My 8-year-old son loves it! https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Beginne...qid=1621437712&sprefix=gifts+,aps,216&sr=8-24

6. Binoculars and Bird Guide for your state! Or Monoculars. We like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Pankoo-Monoc...rds=bug+scope+for+kids&qid=1621438104&sr=8-46

7. Hiking boots!

8. Fun/ Silly socks. We all love silly socks so that's a go-to gift in our family.

9. New PJs
    10. New sheet set for her bed.

11. Magnetic tiles are the most used toys in our household (after Legos). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR423D...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

12. Trivia card Games. We have Birds, Insects, and Space. All are well-loved!
    https://www.amazon.com/Professor-No...eywords=Bird+card+game&qid=1621438493&sr=8-10

13. Super fun board game for outdoor-loving kids! https://www.amazon.com/Trekking-Nat...games+for+10+year+olds&qid=1621438590&sr=8-21

3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Great list @nuss! We have a few but I picked a few already! Thank you very much!

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My son had a milestone birthday this year and he is heavily into gaming, so I made ‘gaming coupons’ for him giving him certain privileges that he has been asking for. They had the image of a gaming console on them and the words ‘Achievement Unlocked’, and the text for the privilege underneath. I printed them on card stock. For example, he loves gaming with dad and my husband is always putting him off because he is busy with work or tired and so on. So the coupon says ‘game time with dad’ and he can trade it in once a week no questions asked. This includes gaming at home and outings like golf, bowling etc. He begs to stay up late so one of the coupons allows him to stay up with us on Fridays. Others included, coffee with mom and dad, Discord chat time, YouTube time, planning playtime with friends, etc. Normally I have veto power over these activities but I wanted him to develop a sense of agency and feel like he has control over his choices. I also included some serious ones like ‘confess something without repercussions’, ‘chat with mom about anything’. I thought he would find them silly but he’s been cashing them in pretty frequently.

Books are a must-include gift in my household. If you haven’t picked any yet, these are some titles my daughter and I love reading together,
    1. Set of 3 Good Night Tales for Rebel Girls
    2. Sapiens By Yuval Noah Harari (graphic novel)
    3. Human Body Theater

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I did this for one milestone birthday and it has become a family tradition of sorts.

Video playlists created and uploaded to YouTube. The steps are roughly like this:
    - Find 5 to 10 video clips for each year. Each clip around 1 to 3 minutes. Anything less than a minute goes by too fast in the overall compilation. Longer than 3 minutes, the audience gets fidgety but there can be exceptions.
    - Put these in a folder. Use a naming that includes the year, month, day and a brief description, such as:
    2019_05_21 6th Grade Grad.
    - Upload one year's clips at a time to YouTube. Select all and make into a playlist (2019).
    - After the above is done for all the years, create a "master" playlist. That is just a playlist comprised of playlists.
    - Figure out how to watch these on the TV (YouTube app?) or how to cast it to the TV from a phone.

If all the videos are in the form of smartphone media, it is easy. I had to watch 2-3 hour camcorder ones. : )

Such projects take time but even a starter playlist comprising of 2-3 clips from each year is a good start. The nice thing is that we can add to it later.

Oh do keep the video settings as unlisted etc. and make sure husband knows whether or not to forward the "master" playlist to India. : )

====
    How about some home gymnastics equipment that can be put away when not in use? Home Gymnastics Equipment: Guide to the Best Mats, Bars, Beams for your Gymnast

6. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

@Gauri03 I like the idea of coupons. Adding that!
    @Rihana - it never occurred to me to make this. I have several snippets from instagram uploads and this will be an easier one!

Thank you both!

Rihana likes this.
  7. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

1. A piggy bank in which she can save and redeem every year? (good age to start financial planning on a baby step)
    2. Any DIY(beads kit, dream catcher kit,yarning kit etc.,)
    3. Mom-daughter matching clothing (may be can include the father too in the matching club)
    4. Customized photo frame( family picture with date)
    5. If you have her babyhood clothes/shoes/onesie/sock you can frame that for a wall decor

nandinimithun and Angela123 like this.
  8. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

This was a good one. She already has a few. I love piggy banks!
    This is a great one.
    This was forgotten! thanks for reminding.

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Decorate the hall of celebration, by Adding a gallery of colourful photos depicting DD in various attire and moods with mom with dad with mom& dad and with her bosom friends. If it covers from her infancy to present, it would be a nice time spent watching the gallery for everyone that includes invites.

Wish on my behalf your DD “ many happy returns of the day”.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    nandinimithun and Angela123 like this.
  10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

My elder one turned 8 this year and we gifted her a magic set kit, it comes with the a book and cd too.

Also she loves books, so bought her some books too....

Thyagarajan and Angela123 like this.