1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kid's Birthday Parties

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by mathangikkumar, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Giving birth is neither easy nor bringing them up in today's world by the gen next. I have seen many youngsters struggling to bring up especially the latch-key moms with latch key kids .

They are left with no options but to leave their kids with maids or creche. Due to lack of time , juggling between office work and house management ,they are left with little time to spare for their kids.Ultimately it leaves them to cope with the time in hand to pay attention to kids, their studies etc.

Of late I have seen in many birthday parties all for kids within the range of 1 to 6 , least care is given for the kids' menu , though the party is for kids!

Not even a ten % importance is given to the kids. The menu should be kids friendly and there is no harm if the menu caters to the adults also.

Most of them are pastas, pizzas, burgers, pastries, soft drinks with ice creams, starters like finger chips, bajjiyas, paneer pakodas, alu chips etc. Nothing is good for health even though there can be an argument saying it's once in a while.Parents do not have control over their tongues nor the kids, they eat whatever is prohibited in their daily menus attack as if there is no tomorrow.

The difficult task is for the kids' parents who do not have time to be with their kids to see what is good for them to eat from the menu listed, so end up giving even a 11 months old baby the pastas, chips and old drinks.

Some kids might be still under medication for their cold and cough but are not ready to give up on the desserts esp the ice creams, even 2 year old kids are introduced to ice creams and pastries!
    Whether the kids enjoy or not it's a ' no meal at home for parents specially the DIK couples! One day's sweating out in the kitchen is saved.But the responsibility of dropping and picking up the kids lies on them and at times it breaks their schedules and they have to go out of the way to do so or be at the mercy of friends which is still awkward!

The current trend of theme parties make the life miserable for some not -so- economically easy people. It pinches them when it comes to hosting their kids' parties .What type of gifts to buy, books, toys, puzzles, stationery items etc?

Lavishly money is spent and booked in a hall which would consume a month's salary and hosting the party during weekdays, cutting the cake at 9 pm and then the kids scurrying for food, OMG. Some responsible parents leave their kids at the party inform the peer friends of their kids and finish off their dinner at a nearby place or drop in at a friend's place a long pending due or complete shopping during that time.. how can they leave their kids at an unknown place where no one is there to attend to?

The gifts which are given to kids do not carry any values except the purchasing capacity of the parents. Money is just carelessly thrown to purchase and the receiver does not know what to do with the gifts! One tension is how to pay back and next is how to pacify the other kid at home. It becomes a headache even to think of the take away gifts for those kids who attend.

Dressing up the kids for the parties with a fashionable dress ? I remember my neighbour with her 6 year old daughter was ready to attend a birthday party and it was winter time. The girl had spaghetti strap frock and one side shoulder button was threatening to break off anytime and mother was not bothered and the other side she has made it up with a safety - pin, I pitying her told the girl to inform her mother to stitch the buttons and then ,eave or go for an alternative dress to suit the occasion. The mother is a lazy one, and she did not bother to correct took the girl as it is with her. I pitied the girl and felt how a mother could be so indifferent, even though I know the girl child was an accidental one and it forced the mother to quit at the peak of her career.The mother herself told me she went into depression after the girl's birth that she lost interest in her up bringing.

I remember ,though I have already mentioned in one of my posts my way of conducting Birthday parties were at home till my kids were in colleges, it was home made idli, sambhar, vada, chutney, gun powder, chips from the shop and self baked cakes,and rasna .No one was allowed to bring any gifts except hand made drawings on a piece of paper or charts, and a masti barhi evening with a light hearted fun filled evening. I was their teacher also but no restrictions, I left to themselves .

We make it a point to host my grand daughters birthday parties during week ends and it would be lunch time so that it is convenient for all kids to follow their routines, and it would not be taxing to the parents too.

1 person likes this.

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Those were very valid points OP.
    This gives a completely different perspective of a birthday party.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I cannot help but take offense to this post. OK I guess we moms these days are just bad and previous generations are good.

I agree to the things like cutting cake at 9 pm or anytime later than 7 PM and wearing spaghetti top dress in winter is unreasonable, but thats where most of the agreement ends.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Mathangi maam, with due respect, I have to disagree with your post in almost all levels.

Our lifestyles are different from what it was before. I literally had to google for what a latchkey-kid is. I must say, “ouch”. Just because we leave our kids at day cares/ after schools doesn’t mean they are at ‘mercy’ of others. We love our kids too to bits an pieces. Just because we work, doesn’t make us incapable of being there for them.

I have to completely disagree with your view on kids menu for birthday party. When I go to a party, I expect a party-food. Not the same old healthy food which I eat day in and day out. As a matter of fact, food is one of the main reasons for me to look forward to a party, apart from great company. Things which you quote, like pizzas, pastas, burgers etc are staple foods in some communities. I really don’t see whats wrong in it. As a matter of fact, white rice with sambar or puri is almost as unhealthy (calorie wise if that was your point) as pasta/pizza.
    And really, who would prefer same old boring stuff which we eat at home everyday in a party. Certainly not me. And honestly speaking, if you ask kids, they do love their pizzas.

I really don’t see why we should hold back on eating in a party. It’s served for us to eat. Right?

You must have seen very narrow set of people who have given cool-drinks to 11 month old. 99% of them don’t do that. Take Indusladies for example and visit us in the baby-food section. You will see how many of us are forever looking for healthy stuff to feed our children.
    After reading this post I am truly thankfully for the friend’s circle I have around who genuinely help us out should there be a need without thinking I am leaving my daughter at their ‘mercy’. Has happened when my LO had high fever suddenly (she was fine when I left her, else i woudnt have left). My neighbor ran to the daycare and to the hospital when I was stuck in the rush hour traffic for 20 mins. I wouldn’t think twice to return the favor, should there be a need without thinking of it as “mercy”.

And about lavishly spending money on parties, I just don’t get it. whats wrong in lavishly spending money on our own child?? I am working my ass off and I wouldn’t mind spending money on her. I don’t know why its wrong. You probably are unaware of how it happens in many places. Normally in kids parties, sometimes parents do drop off the kids and pick them up as is requested by the host. Exactly whats the problem here?

If there is no value to a gift, so what? That’s what gifts are there for right? Do we have to absolutely have a value for everything in life? Why cant we just enjoy things for what they are?

The only things I agree with your post is about not hosting kids parties late evening (no later than 8 PM max) and the way we dress kids (we have to keep in mind their comfort). Perhaps weekend parties if everyone is available.

I am extremely surprised a the thought process…Looks like I am exactly the kind of woman whom you abhor.

3 people like this.