1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids And Cosmetics

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by coffeecups, Apr 17, 2016.

1. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

I occasionally use cosmetics.. And it includes mostly a kajal n a light lipgloss/stick.. Recently my niece who is 5years old,was with us and she insisted that she wanted to use those cosmetics. How much ever I tried to distract her, it didn't work out and she wud come back to d same topic. I as a parent feel that children shud decide reg cosmetics when d appropriate age comes and not as a kindergarten. There r better things to do in that age. Her parents too don't approve of her using cosmetics, so to shut her up, I didn't want to resort to letting her use it lest it send d wrong signals to d kid especially.
    So, my question is, when I ware lipstick in d presence of a child in a group of adults where no one does, the child starts asking me to extend/help her out with the same. How do I explain to the child that there is an age for everything, and this is not the right one! Have u been through similar experiences?? If it had been my own child, I would have been firm and held my foot down, but since it involves another set of parents too, I want to deal it diplomatically

P.s the kids parent got irritated after a point, when I no longer cud handle d discussion wisely, and shouted at d kid to stop the nonsense.. And now the kid starts whispering to me that "we shall talk abt our secret later aunty!!":facepalm:
    As an after thought, there are parents who have no issues with small kids using cosmetics, but since I have and her parents have, all this discussion

2. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

I don't really see the problem.
    Personally I think kids at that age try out cosmetics purely for fun and social bonding purposes with other girls. So I don't really have a problem with my kid doing it. ( its not like its a daily or even monthly thing)
    But even if you oppose this, it should be easy to just say no.
    when dealing with other peoples kids, I find it easiest to tell them to ask their parents. If they say yes, then ok. If they say no, well then too bad, can't do nothing then. After all the parents are the boss.
    You can also say things like: well, thats the beauty of being a grown up, you get to drive a car and choose to wear make up. yes, sure we can do make up when you are fully grown. better eat all those vegetables and fruits, so you can grow fastly.
    and just leave it at that.
    Its not your battle to fight, you should leave the discussion about appropriate age and such to the parents.

coffeecups likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Often my kids' friends ask me for candy, cookies and popsicles after their parents have said no. My solution is very simple. Look the kid straight in the eye, smile and say, "Of course, but you have to ask your mommy first. Do you want to ask your mommy if it's okay?" Then look at the parent expectantly. This shifts the onus on to the parent. Either they deal with the kid's tantrum or reluctantly give you permission to fulfill the child's request. In either case, it is not your problem anymore. I would do the same with anything I feel is inappropriate for a child, be it, TV, video games, makeup etc. I don't think it is my job to explain to someone else's child why something is inappropriate.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    guesshoo, vidhya1984, momsky and 3 others like this.