1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kidnapped by Ego, Searching for my Home

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jun 30, 2011.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

This morning, I was running for the train, but my Metro Card didn't swipe properly, so by the time I swiped again, I missed my train. Naturally, I was annoyed.

I walked my usual waiting place, rationalizing that God didn't want me to take this particular train.

Then, I saw a young Desi (not sure if he was from India, or ABCD, but that's beside the point) gentleman who I usually see around the same time each morning. Even before knowing him, I had an opinion that he was a timid guy who couldn't fend for himself. The type of guy my dad would want me to marry. Thinking about it would make me furious.

About a few months ago, I corresponded with a guy who looked similar to him, and before I met him, my dad told me that even though he himself wanted a better groom for me, I myself have my own problems (i.e. forgetfulness, lack-of-attention, etc), hence I should give the guy a chance. That made me furious, but I went ahead half-heartedly. Spoke with him by phone, he sounded like my best friend, met him in person, and I wanted to run away. Afterwards, we dropped the correspondence (my father doesn't push).

Since then, we had situations beyond our control that put pursuit of matrimonial correspondence to a screeching halt. However, when I was alone, particularly in the morning, I would ruminate over and over, how could my dad think so poorly of me, and who does that guy (the one I corresponded with) think he is?

Eventually, I have been getting busy in other things. Work, taking care of my dad, and trying to create beautiful things, especially to assuage the inner beast.

Which brings me to the Desi at the subway stop. When I see him, and compare him to well-manicured, handsome white young men in suits I think, can't this guy get a shave, fix his hair, get better looking eyeglasses or contact lenses and wear something decent?

But this morning was different. Sure, when I saw him, I started ruminating about the last matrimonial correspondence.

But then, something interesting happened.

He got in the train, found a seat, and took out a financial newspaper to read (not sure of the name, but it wasn't the Wall Street Journal).

At that point, you could have blown me like a feather, although the jerky motion of the train did the same.

I failed to see the beauty of this guy!

I think I know who I am looking for, yet, I am clueless.

Sure, everyone wants the best of everything, and many people think they are better than the next person (this is a generalization, I know).

Because of this Ego, a person doesn't get married, doesn't have friends, etc, because they make a snap decision that a person isn't worth their time.

On the other hand, it is easy to get fooled by outside appearances. Just because a person is well-manicured, dresses nice, are they nice? Do they empathize with your hope, fears, and dreams? Will they stand by your side, no matter what?

Now, I don't know this Desi subway guy, he's just another New Yorker, but seeing him keenly read a financial newspaper (for me it's finance, for another person it may be fashion, etc) hit me like a ton of bricks.

How can you make a snap decision as to whether you will get along with a person or not? You have to OPEN YOUR HEART AND MIND first. You have to look for beauty, instead of getting fooled by outside appearances.

And for marriage, you have to ask yourself
    - Can I make this person happy?
    - Can I respect and support this person my whole life?

If I would have opened my heart and mind in my last matrimonial meeting, there is no guarantee that it would have clicked, but at least there would be no rumination and resentment. At least I would have known that I am utilizing what God gave me, which is more than what God gives most people.

And God gives you the tools to escape from the horrible oppressor called Ego, it's up to you to take the first steps.

2. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

dear dear zip... (can I know your name?)
    The interesting title made me enter the blog and read it....
    I am glad I read it....
    I like your style of writing....
    You have poured out your heart here... Its true that we always notice the external appearance and make conclusions about the person... We never care to look inside...
    Thanks for sharing... Keep them coming

3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Z,

You have very well captured the matter. If the heart opens with all questions like whether we are suitable or will get respect etc., it will not have any end.The innder beauty will not have place here. Well narrated and taken the very correct topic my dear informative friend.

4. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Hi Z4...

Its a nice topic and true that we try to judge people by their external appearance and come to conclusion and never think about inner beauty.
    You have narrated very well..

5. zipzipzoomzoom

Glad you enjoyed.

Since you asked, my name is Ziddhi.

6. zipzipzoomzoom

I'm really glad you enjoyed this post.

7. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Zipzip, just today I start reading your blog, it's really interesting! You have such a wide range of topics, it makes it fun to read your blog. Just one thing I wanted to say... your dad loves you a lot. When parents pretend their child is perfect and keep on telling their child that they are perfect, can do no wrong... it leads to that child having a big ego and unable to accept responsibility. And when a person becomes unable to accept their own faults or take responsibility, they end up failing in relationships. By being honest with you and getting you to realize that you have flaws like anyone else, your dad is showing how much he loves you. He loves you so much that he wants you to succeed in life and succeed in your relationships. That is why he wants you to be realistic. My husband was brought up being told that he could do no wrong, that he was perfect, and that whenever he failed at something it was someone elses fault. He never grew out of that and to this day has an extremely hard time taking responsibility for his actions. When his first marriage ended, they blamed it on 'the girl'. Now that his second marriage is in trouble, again his family is blaming it on 'the girl' (i.e. ME). You might think it's 'love' when a family blindly supports their son/daughter, but the real love is the type your father is showing you, by bringing you up to be a good, thoughtful humanbeing who can accept imperfection in herself. We need more parents like him in this world.

8. zipzipzoomzoom

Thank you, thank you, I whole-heartedly agree!