1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kid Starting First Grade!! Scared Excited...

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Aug 26, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

How time flies by?
    Just felt like she was born yesterday and now it’s time for first grade..

Excited but also pretty nervous:)

The teachers were good and the parents in my kids kindergarten school were nice (can’t say the same about preschool but it’s a distant memory)..

How is it in public school?

1) how different will it be from the kindergarten? The teachers were super nice..

2) how hard are the studies for elementary?

3) what is a room parent and is it mandatory to be one?

4) Is bullying terrible in schools?I was a very bullied child back in my school in India and how is it here? Seen some American movies and it was a scary..

5) what do “competition” in schools mean?

6) how often do you meet other parents? We met everyday as I used to
    Drop off kids in school.Plus there were so many birthday parties,kids school meets,this day and that day..how is it in public school?

Please clarify my queries.Thank you

SinghManisha, nuss and messedup like this.

2. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

Are you talking about education in India?

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

No America

peet1983 likes this.
  4. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Elementary school is good in USA. Nothing to b scared. Kids and us parents enjoy schooling in USA. No stress,no tension in schools. Kids will enjoy the school times. Many schools has full day school for 1 st graders. So kids has to spend lots of time with kids n teacher. Here teachers are very friendly. They school and class teacher will keep us updated with all information send to parents by mail or personal letter. Keep checking her bag daily. About your question about studies, it not much compared to India. Here kids learn very slowly. In India, kids learn many subjects and write many but here they have very few subjects and also start writing slowly. If you want, you can teach ur kids in home to write. Bullying all starts in high school but till now my kid haven’t said any bulling.(he is in 5 th grade) . Initial days kids hesitated to make friendship but once they did, they will play together and have fun. I have kids parents in school reopen days, in some School programs, sometimes in birthday parties ( here they invite only kids for birthdays parties mostly,so I just drop the kids with birthday host and leave.)

SinghManisha, anika987 and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Isn't kindergarden also in public school. If its the same school, you should be comfortable with kid in first grade.

If you are living in multi-enthnic area and if the school has at least 20% kids from other ethinicity, you are fine. ( The more, even better ). If not, it can get challenging, from how teachers give opportunities/preference to kids to kids themselves forming groups.

My advice is, if you are not in a good location, move. Most parents move for kids and their schools.

anika987 likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

My older one also started first grade this year! Yes, time flies. My little one will be starting kinder next year...I can't believe they both be off to school so soon! My son is in a public school. He was in the same school last year for kindergarten. Let me see if I can help you a bit with the information.

How is it in public school?

We love our school. My son has been very happy. he loved his kindergarten. He is a bit shy (unlike my daughter) and having two other friends from preschool in his kindergarten class helped him immensely. He also made new friends in kindergarten and he couldn't wait to be back to school and start the first grade.

1) how different will it be from the kindergarten? The teachers were super nice..
    It's been only two weeks so far so I don't know how different it will be. I can see that first grade is more challenging (and should be). He started getting homework now and it's still on the easier side for him but we challenge him with harder questions and he reads to us now instead of we reading to him at night.

2) how hard are the studies for elementary?

It doesn't look hard but I can't say anything yet. My son enjoys his classwork and homework but he always wants to do extra. We help him with board games and other activities such as writing a journal.

3) what is a room parent and is it mandatory to be one?
    A room parent is someone who volunteers in the classroom to help the teacher (my assumption). I never volunteered nor I plan to. I do offer to talk about Indian festivals when the class go over "Holidays around the World" (usually in December). It is not mandatory.

4) Is bullying terrible in schools?I was a very bullied child back in my school in India and how is it here? Seen some American movies and it was a scary..

I have not noticed any bullying in kinder and so far in first grade. Kids get along quite well.

5) what do “competition” in schools mean?
    I am not sure if you mean competitive kids or competitions such as run for school etc. Shools do quite a bit of fundraising and several PFA meetings. I have only been to one PFA meetings. We send our donation to the school and I don't care about selling tickets for fund0raising. We support our school by purchasing tickets/teeshirts etc.

6) how often do you meet other parents? We met everyday as I used to
    Drop off kids in school.Plus there were so many birthday parties,kids school meets,this day and that day..how is it in public school?

My son rides the bus to school in the morning and my husband or I pick him up after school. I talk to 2-3 parents whom I know quite well now (parents from the preschool group). I never stay back to chat and I am usually running to be on time :) so hardly ever talk. We try to attend birthday parties. I do what I can for the school meets, if it works for my schedule fine, I don't worry too much unless it is something important to my child.

It's fun to watch the kids grow and evolve. Can't wait to see what he learns this year.

anika987 and SinghManisha like this.
  7. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Anika, congratulations to the proud mommy !
    It is a good idea to know a couple of parents from your kids class ( organize play dates etc). It helps form friendships in school and also helps with bullying ( kids do stand up for each other).
    There is not too much bullying at this age , but everyone is young . So don’t be surprised if a kid says something mean . They are generally good life lessons for kids to stand up for themselves .
    If you have the time, it would not hurt to be a room parent. You will get to know the teacher as well. I did volunteer when I was a SAHM.
    My kids like to attend every birthday party, every event at school.
    You will be busy from now on :)

anika987 likes this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

My Kid also started public school this year and first grade. I would love to be part of knowing and be part of wherever it is possible by volunteering or part of events, I feel that way I will be aware and can help my kid and know my kid better. I can't take time for this from my job, but planning weekly 1 hr if I can accommodate. My friend, whose kid is 3rd grade now does volunteer for years and she gets chance to talk with kid teacher and other stuff and can help kid do better. She and her kid go movies, walks, that way the kid gets a chance and time to share so many details with her mom, mom thinks that helps in kid teenager years to come share with mom

anika987 likes this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks nuss..all the best to your son:)