1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Khemchand Prakash - A Path Breaker

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you are my age, you would spend half your time singing Aayeaga, aayega, aayega aane wala'! That song was that popular those days. It was from the film Mahal (1949) Prior to Mahal, the records used to feature only the character name on the record. Hence the first lot of records had “Aayega aane wala” credited to Kamini. When the song was first played on All India Radio, its phone lines were flooded with callers inquiring the singer's name. All India Radio had to find this out from the record company before it could announce Lata Mangeshkar's name on the air! It was said to be the first ghost story. And who gave us this unforgettable song? It was Khemchand Prakash.
    Khemchand was born in 1907 and just lived up to 1950. His musical journey lasted just for 11 years but he directed music for about 40 movies. He directed music for about 4 to 5 movies every year. He gave first major break to Kishore Kumar as a singer for the song “Marne ki duaaen kyun maangu” in Ziddi (1948)
    After the early death of Khemchand Prakash, his family sank into deep poverty. His wife had to beg during her last days.

Let us listen to some of his songs:

A lilting song sung by Amirbai Karnataki for the movie Sindoor.

A hit from Magal by Lata. I used to keep singing this song till my voice got sore!
    Ashok Kumar and Madhubala did the main roles

From the movie Tansen in 1943. The immortal K.L.Saigal sings the song.

An all time hit by Lata in the movie Ziddi (1948). Dev Anand and Kamini Kaushal were the main stars.

A fast number by Lata in the movie Asha (1948)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Rihana, GeetaKashyap and Mistt like this.

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi Uncle,
    WOW! You introduced the "Master of Masters Khemchand Prakash jee" to us. I went through a couple of articles to know about the almost forgotten legend. He was the mentor of musical gems Lata jee, Kishore jee, Manna Day and Bulo C Rani. I'm sorry to hear about his family financial situation after his death. So sad.

I have started to listening his classical immortal songs and will be continuing....

my favorites :-

"Chanda re Jaa re jaa" from ziddi. I love any song that relates to Baadal, Chaand and Aakash [ Uncle, it is your favorite too. : ) ].

" Ye Kaun Aayare" from ziddi again ( I'm a fan of Dev Anand ) and this song is the very first duet of KK- Lata.

"Aayega aanewala" maybe the first hunting song from Mahal.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Cheeniya and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

You seem to be following the expression ‘ a music blog a day keeps my doctor away” seriously, coming out with writings about legendary music directors almost daily. But most of these MDs have used the voices of Singers like Ameerbhai Karnataki, Rajkumari, and their likes, Which I do not relish much. Finding songs on you tube matching the speed with which you come out with such snippets is a laborious task.
    I could find just one song which is sweet to my ears and here I share it with you!

Agatha83

Cheeniya and GeetaKashyap like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,

Ayega ayega is an iconic song. I liked the trivia that singer's names were not published in those days! Today the Hindi film industry pays it's singers well and they are visible too, thanks to the media. Recently, I heard that even in a mighty movie like Bahubali, the singers of those hit songs were paid a paltry sum of Rs 3000/- per song! Such a terrible exploitation!

Thanks, Sir, I enjoyed the classic songs. What a pleasure to see the young Dev Anand without his mannerisms and also the young Raj Kapoor with his enviably nice hair style!

messedup and Cheeniya like this.
  5. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    My dear Latha
    You show amazing interest in what I write about. If that doesn't gratify me, what else will? A big thank you for it.
    That's a true reward for the trouble I take. Continue the journey with me!
    sri

6. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Dear Agatha
    Truly so. Music has that wonderful effect on my psyche. There is one more aspect that keeps my doctor away. Or shall I say 'keep me away from my Doctor'? His ever increasing consultation charge!
    But do you know that those songs kept people come back again and again to the theater in those days? Taste changes with the time. Like the dress and food habits.
    That song that you have presented was a classic. How beautiful Nargis was! And what a pair she made with Raj Kapoor! It is a great pity that Nargis went out of this world in such a great hurry. Compare this picture of Nargis with the ripe old lady in Mother India and you will realise what a great artist she was.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    Dear Geeta
    I wonder whence you got this information. I present to you a BBC report on the payments made to celebrity musicians of Hindi Films. Take a look!
    You are talking about Raj Kapoor. His father Pritviraj Kapoor was equally handsome in his youth. A friend of mine once told me that Time marched on our body leaving its footprints at every stage. Looking at the mirror, I realise how true he was!
    sri

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Sir,
    Hindi film industry pays well. I saw many interviews on YouTube where the singers have revealed this openly!
    This is so true. Time doesn't simply march, it tramples with vengeance!

Cheeniya likes this.
  9. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I had also read somewhere that some singers just want to come limelight, they are requesting offers without asking remuneration. Once, we used to know a few singers. Now, if we look sound track , we can see different singers for each song within the same movie. Now a days, there are So many new singers because of musical programs / shows. I don't know it is good or bad but singers are exploiting by the film industry.

10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Oh! Uncle, please never say Thanks to me, I'm always Thankful to you for introducing musical gems with us. You know one thing uncle, I have started searching deep down telugu musical treasures because of the your musical series inspiration. I'm so grateful to you !