1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Keyboard for Beginners

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Sravanthi28, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

Hi all music lovers,
    I am planning to learn a musical instrument from a very long time but circumstances/time did not permit. Time passes quickly during weekdays but during weekends i am having a tough time dealing with the recent loss of my dear husband. My mom suggested me to take up a new hobby to divert my thoughts. i found a music academy near to my home. The guy is charging Rs 15,000 for a period 6 months for any instrument. I am entirely new to the music classes and instruments. I have 2 questions.

1. Is the amount reasonable/high for a beginner (that too i can only attend during the weekends for an hour each day)
    2. Which instrument do you suggest for a beginner with no basic music knowledge

I am guessing keyboard would be fine but not sure.Appreciate your knowledgeable replies.

2. Akkinenirockz

Akkinenirockz Bronze IL'ite

3. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Sravanthi,
    For beginners it seems costly.. Why I'm saying is, you are going to learn it as another hobby..so I don't suggest you to spend Rs.15000/- for about 25hrs or so.

There can be few music teachers who can teach at a lower fee who work individually... They generally can come and teach at a specific time and can teach you. Look out for them.

Since you have approached a music academy, the prices there would be more and those classes mainly would be for the people who are going into full time.

I too don't have any idea about music instruments, but I have learned a bit Guitar. Could not continue due to many factors. Take care.

Edit: look for some one who can charge on monthly basis, because after few months if you could not continue due to any other reason / work pressure the money paid for whole 6 months would be waste.

4. Sravanthi28

Thank you both for your suggestion. The main reason i am considering this institute because it is walkable to my home and i am planning to take my son along with me. But the price seems to be too high. Pallavi, i would take your suggestion and lokk for somebody who can come home & teach me and monthly basis is actually good.

Waiting for some more replies regarding the selection of instrument.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sravanthi,

keyboards tutors are costly. 8 classes and minimum 600 and upwards is what is the rate. the ones who train the students to appear for trinity exams, and the masters who are real experts do charge 1000 and upwards. a master who was teaching my daughter till last month has refused to come home this month stating that 1300rs/month for 4 classes is not enough. she is to appear for her grade exams.

A friend of mine drops his son for a piano class around 15 kms from his home. the master charges 3500rs/month. so when you calculate the rate/month it would be around 1250/month which is reasonable.

but a word of caution. as is with hobbies, this keyboard and piano are costly too. you need to invest in a good keyboard..and if things click and your son progresses from 1 grade to another, you need to move to a higher end keyboard almost after every 2 grades. the keyboard that you buy at grade 1 (beginner level) is not useful ( or rather not enough) at 3rd level.

so think about it. it is really a pleasant hobby, that reduces stress and fills peace if you are hooked to it.:thumbsup

for instruments:

casio or yamaha..

if you want to learn indian notes/indian music yamaha has keyboards that are best used for indian..

keyboards with 61 keys are the best whether beginner or a starting learner.
    Casio CTK-2200
    PSR e233

or you can also check out the casio series there are keyboards that come from 1500..in the mini keyboard range (32 keys.) or go for a 49keys ctk ma150.

you can always tell the institution that you will invest in a keyboard after learning for a few classes, and you would also like to pay montly basis.

a suggestion..i prefer individual tutor at home rather than at a insitute though both have advantages and disadvantages.. personally i feel carrying a huge keyboard to the institute a big thumsdown. and in the institute if there are 15 students at that stipulated hour..a child /student will not even get 10 minutes of personal attention even if the class is for an hour. whereas even if the tutor comes home for 30 minutes, it is worth the extra money i spend..

2 people like this.
  6. Sravanthi28

Hi Shanti
    Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. The guy runs the institute at a different place and it is his home that is nearby to my place. So only classes until 9 AM in the morning and not more than 4 students per class (as he insists) now.
    I am trying to find out tutors who would come home and teach.

7. mp1234

mp1234 Gold IL'ite

Sravanthi,

I am happy for you that you want to learn a musical instrument.This will help you a lot in diverting your thoughts.
    Everybody has already given you very good advice.I think keyboard is a good choice.Music is a great stress-buster.

8. Sravanthi28

Glad to hear that you are happy for me :)