1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Keralites in Dubai

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Dubai' started by sumitha, Jan 10, 2008.

1. sumitha

sumitha Senior IL'ite

Hi my friends,
    Nammude kochu keralithil ninnu ethra ILs UAE residents aanu?y dont we share our experiences in UAE?
    coconut prices are soaring.And for us Keralites its such an inevitable ingredient in our curries.I tried using coconut powder ,but the taste is so different.Thankfully i had some semi dry cocnuts, which we call Kotta thenga, which after soaking in water for some time,can be used as fresh ones...you can easily scrape it.If you dont have a scraper just cut into pieces and grind it...got any more suggestion?

Thanx Sumitha

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
    1 person likes this.

2. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

OOPS !!!

Ennekkum ethe problem onndayettundu. Evede Malaysia-yil thenga kittum pakshe cant scrape it. Ente preethi mixie is an angel :) I also cant use coconut pdr.. it just wont dissolve...also leaves some tiny grains in it. :-D

3. jayasree05

jayasree05 Senior IL'ite

hi friends
    same problem for me also, but still i use the dry coconut powder only. Only for puttu i use fresh coconut.here the price is some 4 to 5 riyal per coconut, in indian rupees it will be 50.i feel it is too much. for coconut milk also i am using the powder only
    regards
    jayasree

4. jibson

jibson New IL'ite

i am wondering is this forum still active. noticed that the messages are too old!!
    my name is jibson from TVM working as a broadcast engineer in dubai.
    this is anice forum and we should keep posting .......

with luv

jibson

5. arman

arman New IL'ite

deari am in dubai call me

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
  6. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Yeah I too was in doubt if this thread is still active. Do come in And discuss about your life in Dubai (UAE).

I stay at RAK, hus working at Jebel Ali,Dubai -driving all the way from RAK-Dxb & back. our only son Advaith is celebrating his 1st b'day next month. We'll be leaving for Kerala next month to celebrate Onam as well as monte pirannal..!

what would you all love to have most from kerala? Njan kondu varumennu karuthandaa!!! bonk

Reshmi

7. Bindu Thomas

Bindu Thomas Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    This is a nice thread. I am based in sharjah but working in Dubai while my husband works in RAK. Reshmi, my hubby drives to RAK to work. We used to stay in RAK till a couple of years back but shifted to Sharjah for my son's school and my work. It was getting difficult for me to drive to work.

The dry shredded coconut does have an odd taste but can be used as an emergency ( when u are out of fresh coconut). I also use the dry version when cooking " cheera thoran & palak thoran" It helps to dry up the liquid faster.

8. mystique

mystique New IL'ite

hi

my name is Deepa Madhu.I m fro trivandrum too...live in dubai..deria... a new member inthis site.i'm glad to see lots f fellow malayalees here ..is there anyone else living in deira...just to know...:)

lets all keep in touch and have a gr8 time..

keep smiling :thumbsup

9. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Re: hi

Hi Deepa,:hiya

Welcome..
    Visit Indians in Dubai to find out if you have members nearby you.

I was too happy to note that you too celebrated your birthday on the same day as mine. Step into Happ birthday Mystique to see the wishes that you have received from friends here.

Bye

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  10. mystique

mystique New IL'ite

Re: hi

thank you saraswathy for u reply....i came across ur reply today only..actually i got a little lost among all these threads...where do u live ....where r u from...

are there more dubai keralites in here....i'd like to hear from all of them..hope i 'll ...

take care alll
    keep smiling