Kerala Temples

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by manjumnair, Aug 17, 2007.

1. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies ,

Thanks manju for posting about kerala temples,very informative,i am from tripunithura and its my favourite place on earth,i could spend all day going to all temples in tripunithura in walking,there are lots and lots temples...Miss those.

Some are:
    1.poornathreesya temple.
    2.palliparambakave temple
    3.Sri rama Temple
    4.kannankulaghara temple

Below are two videos worth watching,both are in malayalam,the first video is about the how the temple architecture influence a person spirituality,and second video is about the importance of temple worship.all explained scientifically,both videos are short duration ones which are worth watching.

YouTube - Concept of Temple as per Kerala Tradition

YouTube - concept of temple worship<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQfDvSa7Kgw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Hi Manju and Padma,

I saw this thread only today. Nice detailed articles and photos of many temples. I went to Guruvayur over the week end and visited couple of temples in Guruvayur and Thrissur. Inaddition to Guruvayur Krishna temple, I visited Mammiyur siva temple, Parthasarathi temple and Venakatachalapathi temple. Of which Parthasarathi temple and Venkatachalapathi temples are my first time visits.

Parthasarathi temple sreekovil is modelled like a charriot with four wheels and horses on each side of the wall, ropes tied to a hook on the wall and Krishna is having the stick on one hand to control the horses. It is a small idol and beautifully decorated. There is an idol of Adi sankara also in one of the outer small temples. The nava graha pooja where we light ellu thiri is also very special here. Since it was a saturday I paid money in the counter for ellu thiri and I was told to take from the basket kept there. When I took 2 (as is done in chennai), I was asked to take 10 no . and the person explained how I should light the thiris. One has to make nine prasakshinams of nava grahas light one thiri after one pradakshinam and balance one is for Lord ayyappan's sannithi.

Venkatachalapathi temple is called the Tirupathi of Kerala. though it is not a big idol like in tirumala, it is still looking good and his eyes are not covered with the big thirumankappu like in tirumala, so we can see the compassionate eyes of the Karunamoorthy clearly as he is sporting a small u shaped thirumankappu. Here you can find a separate sannidhi for Ramanujacharya.

Before boarding train to chennai I visited Thrissur vadakkunathar and tiruvambadi unnikrishnan temple. Thiruvampadi temple is again a first time visit for me . Unni krishnanan is having a flute in his hand and I was blessed to visit the temple on an Ekadasi day. There was some namajapam being carried out by a group of elderly ladies in a madapam , just stood for a couple of minutes forgetting everything. Had to go as I had to catch the train . Overall felt very happy and peaceful. I thought how I would have spend the two days if I were in chennai on a saturday and sunday. House hold chores, shopping, TV , sleeping in the afternoon etc. and it was such a change , though short, it was really a sweet trip . and Kerala temples are always my favourite and felt nostalgic going to Guruvayur after a gap of almost 4 years.

Radhi

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  3. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

it has been a long time since i visited this thread.. now after seeing all the posts above, i am happy that many of u have been benefited from the information about Kerala temples..

For the past 1 yr i have not been to any Kerala temple, since i am in Chennai, and rarely go to Kerala.

Had been to Kancheepuram 2 months back... it was also a wonderful experience being there in the ancient temples of Kancheepuram..

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Such a great thread which gives you a detailed description of the temples in Kerala.:clap:clap
    I would like to add a temple from the Kannur state "Sri Kottiyoor Mahadeva Kshetram". The temple is believed to be located where the daksha yagam was conducted.It is known as"Dakshina Kashi" or "Varanasi of the South" .
    At Kottiyoor, there are two temples - Akkare Kottiyur and Ikkare Kottiyur, located on the opposite banks of Bavali river. Akkare Kottiyur is open during the Kottiyoor Vaisakha Maholsavam festival only.After worship at akkare kottiyur you have to worship at ikkare kottiyur, and have to take a dip in the Bavali river and have to do the pradakhsinam drenched in water.The pebbles on river bank when rubbed together gives a sandal paste.We are not supposed to carry these pebbles from there to our place.

To know more about kottiyur please visit this site.

PFA some pics of the temple:

Attached Files:

5. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

hi Ami,

Thanks for posting about Kottiyoor Mahadeva temple in detail and for posting the pictures.. i heard about the temple before, but not in detail... are u from Kannur??

6. bagawathy

bagawathy New IL'ite

Greetings from Malaysia.

Can anyone suggest what colour saree can i buy for Chottanikara amma and Kizkavu amma. This is my first visit to Chottanikara Temple.

Thanks
    Bagawathy