Kerala preparations

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by tsseethalakshmi, Feb 1, 2006.

1. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

hi lakshmi(moderator)

hello lakshmi,

can u please tell me how to add index and how to catogeroise my posted recipies just like how ashna have done?

can u just list out the exact procedure?

TS seethalakshmi

2. Jana

Jana Senior IL'ite

Shabarimalai payasam

Dear Seetalakshmi,

I am reading your recipes only now. Very nice. Can you teach how to make sakkarapongal like in shabari malai temple? It is very nice and is fresh many days.

thank you
    Jana

3. ItsMeSuja

ItsMeSuja New IL'ite

Payasam..

Hi

Can you tell me how to prepare pacha parappu payasam. I think all keralites prepare that payasam..

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Sujatha

4. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

neyyappam

dear seethalakshmi amma,
    i tried neyyappam and it came out very well. i kept the mixture only five hours and added little maida bcoz the batter was too watery.
    my children liked it very well.
    thank u, safa.

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

wonderful collection

Dear Seetha,

I just went thru your posts and was happy to see a lot of traditional dishes from Kerala. Now that Vishu is round the corner, would definitely try most of your dishes.

could you also give recipes for potato stew, bitterguord thoran, inji puli, melagu varati, bitter guord kichadi & palada payasam???

pls do take your time, no hurry as such.

thanks for sharing such wonderful traditional recipes of Kerala.......

6. tsseethalakshmi

dear meenaprakash

Dear meena prakash,
    I am also thinking to post all recipes except melagu varatti.I could not understant it.There is milagootal[vegitables] and milaguvellam[milagu and buttermilk].Any other think you are thinking.Please clear.Now I am busy with temple festival and grahapravesam of my younger son's house.Shuttling bangalore to Perumbavoor.
    Thank you for your response.I will do my best.
    Once again thank you
    seethalakshmi

7. tsseethalakshmi

Thodukarikal

. palakkai chips
    Raw palakkai.Before it ripes we can make dishes and chips.

Remove all palaculai and remove carefuly the seeds also.cut the top portion and bottom portion.Cut them one inch thick pieces.mix two table spoon of salt in quarter tumbler of water keep aside.
    Now put kadai pore what oil is used in your family for deep frying the balakkai pieces.when oil heated put balakkai.When it is ready to remove pore one spoon salt water in the hot oil with chips are in hot oil.When the hizzing sound subsides remove the chips.
    Store it in air tight container and use.
    seethalakshmi
    Front and back cut pieces May also be deep fried in the oil as explained before.
    or boil it in turmeric water when toned remove it.
    heat two spoon of oil put one spoon mustard seed, ulundu paruppu and kari leaves add
    coarsely ground grated coconut with green chilli and cumin seeds saute a while.add the boiled pieces add salt and saute and remove from fire and use with sambar rice etc.It may cooked from whole palachulai cut pieces also.
    variation:In the masala add onion and grind.
    seethalakshmi

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  8. tsseethalakshmi

Dear safa

Very happy to hear that neyyappam came well.Any powder may added to thicken the batter.I am giving sambar powder as per the instruction given our family cook.
    seethalakshmi

9. tsseethalakshmi

sambar podi

Red chilli one cup
    Daniya 3/4 cup
    fenugreek seeds 1 teaspoon
    These are main increadinas for sambar masala.
    dry roast all and grind as powder.Black pepper and cumin seeds half table spoon each may be added.
    aroma of dhania
    from all other masala of the sambar tastes better.
    dry roast and include with other increadians before grinding.
    This powder is suitable for rasam.
    seasoning for rasam in ghee mustard seeds,cumin seeds and three or four crushed balck peper,asafoetita with curry leaf.Last add green dhaniya leaves.
    smell and taste will be good.
    All parippu ie., channa dal,thuvar dal, urd dal each 1/2 table spoon
    dry roast and added with the main increadians before grinding.
    these dals are only for thickening agent for sambar.
    without dal the sambar will stay fresh long time.

Sambar masala may be prepared fresh ground.Arachuvitta sambar tastes better.
    red chilli 4 or 5, dhaniya one table spoon, 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds.May be included other parippu, raw rice each one teaspoon, oil roast them, grind it with 3 table spoon grated coconut.Make sambar as usual.
    Seasoning for sambar mustard seeds, fenugreekseeds and one dry chilli, asafoetita with curry leaves.

tsseethalakshmi

10. tsseethalakshmi

Paladai prathaman,Adai prathaman

Valappaye Krishna Iyer was very famous for his paladai prathaman.I was in his house when he was preparing adai and cooked prathaman.I am trying to give the description.Nowadays adai is available in the market.But taste is better when we make adai cook payasam.

one kg raw rice soak it in water and grind to a smooth paste.Add liquid ghee one table spoon, lukewarm hot water.Stirr well.The batter should be thinner than thosa batter.In a big vessal boil water.
    Take plantain leave[krishna Iyer said [gnalipoovan plantain leave is best for aroma to prepare adai] Cut leaf in the size of eating tiffin. Take battar in the hand and pore the batter in the leaf through the fingers like kolam line.Then roll the leave one side to another side tightly.Tie the ends with cotton thread or plantain thread.Put the rolled leaf in the well boiled water.Do all the batter like this.Boil the water atleast half an hour.Remove the leaf rolls from the hot water and pour cold water.Leave it to cool.Take a big vessal full of cold water.take one leaf roll and remove the tied threads open the leaf.Now rinse in the cold water.The adai leaves from leaf.Do all rolls like this.Wash the adai well and drain the water.
    dice well into small pieces.
    Now take thick bottom urly pore 10 litter milk when boil add adai pieces boil well.Reduce to 3/4 quantity.Add 2 kg sugar boil well.When we add sugar the milk will be watery.So boil it again.When it thickens remove from fire.This is the traditional cooking of baladai prathaman.Nowadays milkmaid one or two tin is added in the last and stirr well.
    one kg milk, one cup adai, 175 gm sugar
    Sweetness may increased or discreased accoring to family taste.
    For adai prathaman instead of milk and sugar add coconut
    milk and marayur sarkarai.[jagary]
    one cup adai,2, 3 coconut and 2 cup jagary
    tsseethalakshmi

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006